What would you do

Mcribs

FNG
In this morning scouting session, I’ve located a gorgeous buck in a remote basin surrounded by steep loose rocks/scree. would you leave him be until CO archery opening and hope he stays put or keep tabs on him? I can observe from the ridge line, accessing from an adjacent basin.

Also, assuming I relocate him during hunting season, I’m thinking of putting him to bed and try to work my way down the loose stuff. It’s gonna be loud so trying to consider my options. Winds are usually favorable even in the morning.

Thoughts?

Observing him from a distance without bothering him couldn't hurt so long as you have the time to put into it. You would probably learn his daily habits better and be able to come up with a better plan before the season starts. Or maybe he disappears and you make a new plan altogether. Either way you learn something by being out there.

MJB

WKR
Find his escape route and watch his patterns, shale is his friend not yours. See if you can come in above him.
I've tossed a rock at a buck bedded to move him towards me

OP
M

Mcribs

FNG
Find his escape route and watch his patterns, shale is his friend not yours. See if you can come in above him.
I've tossed a rock at a buck bedded to move him towards me
Makes sense. I’m above him in AM, with favorable wind, but less favorable approaches. Assuming he hangs out consistently in that basin feeding in AM, would you ever try to drop in during night and ambush him at dawn or is that too risky to bring in smell?

OP
M

Mcribs

FNG
Observing him from a distance without bothering him couldn't hurt so long as you have the time to put into it. You would probably learn his daily habits better and be able to come up with a better plan before the season starts. Or maybe he disappears and you make a new plan altogether. Either way you learn something by being out there.
I like this. I was considering scouting options B,C etc, but this one is far better than anything I’ve seen in my unit. Might as well go all in! Damn seeing a beast really got me pumped for deer season!

Marble

WKR
I would watch as much as possible. There are lots of things you can learn, some of which you can not foresee. You may learn someone else is hunting him too...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know where you’re from and everyone says to be above them early but our thermals here say no. The thermals draw down in the morning and evening, they switch up during the heat of the day, after circling and being unpredictable depending on weather. Go watch him and learn your area, good luck

OP
M

Mcribs

FNG
Well, he multiplied in 5 bucks( 2 nice ones!) watched them do their thing this morning, thanks for the info. Learning my way around these bucks.

They worked their way down into the west facing willow to bed. Smart crew, one dropped back, checking their six out of the willows.