What’s A Great All Around Tripod For All Around Spotter KOWA 77

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
What are some good all around tripod options for all around spotter KOWA 77 ?
Is the Sirui VA-5 a good choice for a head? Better options?
Not being used as a sheep hunting scope but primarily day trips for elk, and the range . Will also use the head on window mount. Most everyone using your tripod to shoot off of?

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Slik Sprint 150 tripod. It's light weight, packable and has been decent over the years. They make a carbon fiber if you want a lighter version for more money. I use it to glass with my binos and a spotter.

Any of the Really Right Stuff tripods. They have a new pan/tilt head called the PT Scout, plus their anvil 30 and other ball heads.

I use their TFC-34L with BH-55SCLR. I can switch between my binos, spotter, and rifle in seconds.

If you have a favorite brand go for it. Carbon or aluminum, your choice. I have ran my kowa 774 on many different tripods for different situations. At shoots for scoring I run a big 40mm legged innorrel, I have had it on a 5 section super lite weight with the nighthawk head and a few in between. To me it depends what I am doing or haw far I have to pack it. I really like a 3 section for a little height if needed and medium diameter legs.

Sirui, leupold

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’d take a look at what else if anything you want to do with it. If you want to just glass there are some pretty light options. I wouldn’t use a VA-5 if you want a pan head to glass with and could get away with the tricer or wiser ones (RRS just released a small head too). But as was said above, if you want to shoot too, a ball head is a lot better (tip the stem into the slide slot to lock out 1 direction of travel) BUT only if it has a panning base built in.

I’d suggest getting upper legs with at least 28mm dia for stability, especially with wind. The RRS ascend uses 28.5mm uppers I believe. Center column is the other decision - yes they make glassing more flexible and 100% of you aren’t shooting you should get one. If you are shooting with it, an apex without a center column works better.

I’ve been pretty happy with my leofoto tripod, and especially happy with the price. The build quality is nice, and there’s a ton of options. I like the ranger series since the center column is removable, but the mr Q series is even better.

Depends on your budget, you can drop some serious money in a tripod/head setup.

For the money I have been very happy with my Slik 634 with the tricer head. I've ran my ziess 85mm and a buddies Kowa 88 on that without any issues.

For the $$ nothing beats the Sirui VA5 head for glassing. Go with a good ball head for shooting.
Depending on your height and way you are using it (sitting or standing) will determine what legs to go with

Happy to help. Give me a call at 516-217-1000. Mention Rokslide

Joel

Aklint

FNG
I have bought and sold a number of heads, some more expensive than the VA5, and the VA5 is still my go to for glasssing. I wouldn’t shoot anything more than a .223 for higher shot counts and would recommend the RRS ball heads for larger hunting riffles.

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, really good updated information.
I sold my last spotter a Leica APO when I gave up sheep hunting. I no longer need to count the rings on a ram. Mostly the tripod would be used for hunting and carried in a day pack for short hikes a mile or two from the truck. Also I would use it for wildlife viewing off some remote roads where I would be standing for viewing . I would also use it quite a bit at the range.
Some really good comments about how the wind becomes a factor with stability , out west the wind blows a lot.Not sure if I am one to carry two separate heads out in the field for glassing and a ball head to shoot off of. Not going to spend more than purchase price of $400 for a tripod and maybe $150 for a head, prefer to spend less.
MtnW

I went and looked at my tripods, the sirui one I have used is a n-2204x and a similar tripod I have is leupold pro guide cf 436 check them out, plenty sturdy sitting, chair or maybe standing depending on height and still not to heavy for 1 to 2 miles. Just get you a proven ball head and run it for all your shooting and glassing, you can pan and tilt just get used to the controls and find your sweet spots on tensioning