What’s everyone’s favorite squirrel recipe?

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard endless ways on how to cook squirrels but I’m curious to hear everyone's favorite. My personal favorite is boiled then fried but I also love squirrel and dumplings.

ScottP

WKR
Favorite way to prepare with multiple future options is to cut squirrel into 5 pieces (quarters and loin section). Save the rib section and neck for the stock pot as these pieces have lots of small bones and excluding them reduces the strays in the final product in my experience.

Slow cook the quarters and loins with squirrel or chicken stock, garlic, bay leaf, s+p, etc. Then pick the meat from bones and bag or vac seal in your preferred portion size. You can brown the meat first if you like, but not required.

Meat can be quickly thawed for tacos, BBQ sandwich, biscuit and gravy type application, etc. -
OR make the kids favorite squirrel roll up, where you do squirrel meat, cheese, and veggie inside a crescent roll and bake it.

Wash it down with a cold beer and wait for another backyard tree chicken to show up!

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
That’s sounds like a really great way to cook it and have multiple options on how to prepare it in the end. I have never heard of anyone doing it like that, I will definitely have to give that a try.

pirogue

WKR
I cut em up, wrap in foil, and bake low temp for a couple hours. This allows you to debone easy, (save the juices) and then I substitute the squirrel for chicken and make smaller size pies, following a chicken pot pie recipe. Since my wife doesn’t care for them, I then have 4 or so dinners.

Macintosh

WKR
I like squirrel barbacoa. Or see the “venison birria tacos” thread in the meat prep forum, and use squirrel instead.

CMF

WKR
Quesadillas!
Slow cook or pressure cook(15-20min) until tender
Separate meat from bones.
Brown meat again in a skillet or don't
Put meat on tortilla with barbecue, mayo, cheese and fold over into quesadilla and brown on both sides.
Also good with Turkey legs/thighs, quail legs, jack rabbit legs, etc.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
The wife cooks them in a pressure cooker. Then makes a gravy, mixes the meat in the gravy and either puts it over noodles or mashed potatoes

Young ones I fry with a Cajun seafood breading. Older ones I bake until tender and then fry like the young ones or bake them in a covered dish with one of my favorite cans of soup (usually about 350 for 2- 2 hours and 15 minutes) until the meat is tender enough to fall off the bones.