What’s going on with the Factory Hornady 7 PRC ammo?????

That is fast.
Yessir. Today I throw a couple test loads together for a 22" Proof carbon fiber barrel and got to 2950fps before I started seeing flattening of the primers. That's about as far as this barrel will push it. It should max out between 2975 and 3000fps once the barrel breaks in and hits speed-up.

tnblaster

FNG
Very disappointing. Getting ready to order a barrel for a new build and was dead set on 7prc. I don't currently reload so this has me rethinking my caliber choice.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Very disappointing. Getting ready to order a barrel for a new build and was dead set on 7prc. I don't currently reload so this has me rethinking my caliber choice.
I’m currently on the fence. On the one hand - my hunting partner killed three animals (pronghorn, mule deer, and elk) within a month with factory eld-x. On the other hand, I’m seeing plenty of factory rifles with 7 rem mag and 1:8 twists - so it kind of negates the inability to run heavier bullets. Of course - I’m seeing more options for 20” barrels with 7PRC - and if I’m hunting suppressed (which I do) I’d prefer the shortest barrel I can get away with and still be effective.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I have read and analyzed several chronographed numbers from various shooters from 24 inch proof barrels to seekins 22 inch barrels
Etccc……….
ALL are showing muzzle velocities well below what was published. Most are below 100 fps from published muzzle velocity with sped up barrels.
Wasn’t this the whole entire selling point of the 7 PRC????? Factory ammo shooting 2950-3000 from 175-180 bullets.
Looks like I am going to have to hand load ammo and might even go with the 7rem mag or 7 Saum.
Anymore shooters seeing this???
Yup spot on. Factory 175 ammo in my 24” barrel is 100 fps slower than listed. They are inflated numbers for marketing imo, most companies do it. My handloads right at the cusp of pressure with h1000 are at 2984fps. When I got into the gun I thought I’d easily be able to get 3075 to 3100 with handloads based on what hornady was listing. Didn’t work out but oh well. Gun shoots really good.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’ve heard the federal loads with the same bullet are as advertised and faster than the hornady

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
If the federal shoots in your gun stock up. Every time the ammo crunches happen federal is pretty much unattainable.

I’d take 100 fps less on a load and be able to find it here and there even when ammo disappears.

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm shooting Factory Hornady match 180's out of a 22 inch barrel at 2760. 2810 with factory 175's. The barrel should speed up some but I've got pressure signs with the 180's from the same lot of ammo I shot my average muzzle velocity.

The 180 eldm does serious damage from what I've seen so I don't care it's moving a little slower

Conrad

FNG
I wouldn't fret over 100 fps difference with these long bullets. Just dropped my 175EH profile 100 fps in my solver and it added 0.1 mils of wind (full value, 10 mph) at 1000....and the wind is what you need to be most concerned about.

Bartb68

FNG
I have read and analyzed several chronographed numbers from various shooters from 24 inch proof barrels to seekins 22 inch barrels
Etccc……….
ALL are showing muzzle velocities well below what was published. Most are below 100 fps from published muzzle velocity with sped up barrels.
Wasn’t this the whole entire selling point of the 7 PRC????? Factory ammo shooting 2950-3000 from 175-180 bullets.
Looks like I am going to have to hand load ammo and might even go with the 7rem mag or 7 Saum.
Anymore shooters seeing this???
I wonder if it has the same problem the 6.5 prc has with too tight sammi chambers at the .200 line above the case head? When 7prc came out Alex Wheeler had his 7prc as reamer made to fix this issue. I bought his 6.5 reamer and it fixed the same issues you described. I think unknown munitions use this reamer or something similar and they reported great results out of a 22 inch barrel.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
With 7prc Precision Hunter, 24” barrel and 5.5” suppressor (raptor 6) I was getting 2940-2970fps using a Garmin Xero C1.