What's in your Turkey Pack?

As a brand new hunter to turkeys- the thread on turkey vests got me thinking... What do you experienced Turkey Hunters carry with you for a day (Or a few) in the turkey woods?

dtrkyman

WKR
Not a lot.

Several mouth calls.

Single Pot call, once in a while 2. 4 strikers conditioning stone and scotch brite pad.

Owl hooter in the Midwest, Coyote howler out west.

Crow call.

4 shells.

Pruners.

Gloves.

Water bottle and a snack.

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Extra camo gloves and facemask, sunscreen, deet, extra couple strikers if u use a slate call, cushion to sit on

PvilleMac

FNG
Slate call, box call, couple mouth calls, and a crow call. I think theres some chalk in there also; for the box.
Gloves, facemask, couple extra shells, and some water.
A cushion is necessary. If im close to the truck, I have a bougie little folding chair that sits real low.

Edit: in spring I bring a thermacell

Holocene

WKR
Dtrkyman nailed it.

That's pretty much my pack, but I also carry a kill kit.

Little ziploc with a game bag, my tag, a handmade turkey tote, and Havalon piranta.

This way turkey can be hung, plucked, drawn, and cooled ASAP no matter where I'm hunting. When I say ASAP, I mean walk over to the bird, maybe take a picture if it's a big one, then hang the bird up and get to work. Turkeys run hot, and a lot of guys leave the guts in too long and wonder why the taste is off.

PS, Back at the truck I have a cooler and a frozen Evian bottle. They are just the right size to fit in a turkey cavity and get it cooling.

Gloves, mask, shells, mouth calls, a slate pot, pruners, tags, ziplock bags, piranan, striking paper, turkey tote, and a thermacell. My vest also has a built in butt pad, nothing worse than a soggy bottom.

Fullfan

WKR
Several pot calls, about a dozen strikers. Bug spray, headlamp, wet wipes, candy bar, 2 bottles of water, camera, 3-4 mouth calls.

OP
Ferrulewax
Not a lot.

Several mouth calls.

Single Pot call, once in a while 2. 4 strikers conditioning stone and scotch brite pad.

Crow call.

4 shells.

Pruners.

Gloves.

Like I said- I'm a total newbie. What are the multiple strikers for? Different pitches/materials?

Carr5vols

WKR
Not a lot.

Several mouth calls.

Crow call.

4 shells.

Pruners.

Gloves.

This almost two a T.

Netherman

WKR
Different strikers will give you different pitches or waterproofness. A slate call with a wood striker seems to give me the "best" sounding calls but any moisture makes it useless. For wet days I carry an aluminum call with a carbon striker that works when wet and is higher pitched which seems to carry better in windy conditions.

Another note, I've found that some days they respond better to one call vs another. Not sure if it's volume, pitch, or what but I've had days where they only like a mouth call, pot call, pot call and different striker, or even my friends shitty push button call.

To answer your initial question I'm mostly the same as dtrkman.
Diaphragm call, 1-2 pot calls and 2-3 strikers, 3 shells, TP, peacock/woodpecker call (same concept as crow), water and snack if more than a morning hunt.

ppumil

FNG
I am that turkey hunter who does not want to be without what the birds want.
I have homemade copper and slate friction calls along with a couple of other store models I like the sounds of.
I also have custom strikers that work on all but with different tone.
I have at least 10 mouth calls ranging from raspy as heck to as soft and quiet as you can imagine.
One box call.
owl hooter(OK i do not take it anymore for I think I sound as good as it)
crow call
hawk call
I have 2 pairs of gloves for I lose crap in all the excitement of gobbling and running.
I have 2 head masks for the same reason.
hearing protection
decoy - might have 2 but often do not even deploy. Depends but once again I just have it.
Garmin - only used it out west but otherwise there for emergency (inreach)
TOILET PAPER and baby wipes for you know what _ DON'T FORGET
water bottle
snacks.

this set up is way to much but have done it for 2 decades. When it is 100 degrees out sometimes I will just have my turkey shirt on with one slate and some mouth calls. shotgun on my shoulder with shells in it. GOOD to go.

As a beginner I would advise less calls and use what you feel comfortable with and add as you gain experience. Less calling is often the best approach. Patients is a virtue also!

dtrkyman

WKR
Yes on the multiple strikers for different tones. I carry my TP in my pant pocket, I occasionally roll without a vest and you know that's when you would need the TP. you had in the vest!

If I know it is going to rain much, I go without the vest and just use a mouth call.

Forgot I did add a tote finally last year, real avid turkey sling, the one that came with my vest failed, I like it enough to buy the other.

mudlickman2

Lil-Rokslider
Aluminum pot call
Ceramic pot call
4 strikers
2 mouth calls
Water bottle/coffee bottle
TP
Granola bar or jerky
Crow call
3 extra shells
Knife
Gallon ziploc bag (in case I find morels)
Headlamp

That’s pretty much it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a couple of my essentials. I’m a minimalist with calls as you can see.

Attachments

• 1BC3BFF3-D67A-4BCE-8697-84AFA11458F9.jpeg
    1BC3BFF3-D67A-4BCE-8697-84AFA11458F9.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 32

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
If my kids are hunting with me, everything! Blind, decoys, chairs, shooting sticks, several calls, wipes, plenty to drink, snacks, and plenty of patience!

If it's just me...a diaphragm call in my mouth, a couple more in my pocket, shooting Stix, something to drink, and a knife. Maybe a decoy, depending on time of the season and terrain.