What's wrong with a Savage?

I re-read a few posts above, and basically what they are saying is that since Ruger and Rem and others have not copied Savage, that Savage is no longer that special. LOL While that may be true, stop and think about what that means.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ll chime in with my report on the aftermarket extractor/ejector kit I order form tactical works. It works. It now throws brass and even live rounds of all on hand makes clear of the chamber. Took all of 5 minutes to install after reading the instructions twice. Wife is thoroughly unimpressed (it’s her rifle) but I’m pretty happy with it. The rifle has always been a shooter but would only eject certain brands of brass and hardly any live rounds would clear.

Hoodie

WKR
I'm currently in the process of dealing with the ejection issue myself. Lightweight Storm in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'd say it ejects maybe 1/2 the time. Apparently this is more common in certain chamberings, the 6.5CM being one. I ordered the upgraded extractor/ejector kit with the larger detent ball and will report back after replacing it.

I can say this is the fifth Savage I've owned, and the 3rd chambered for 6.5CM. First time I've ever had an issue.

Gun shoots pretty well for its weight so I'm hoping the kit resolves the issue. It seems like they generally do.

Last edited:

barrister

WKR
I don't really care for the Accutrigger concept. I certainly don't have extensive experience with it. My only Savage has been the 220 bolt action slug gun for whitetail hunting. I'm sure it's a personal preference thing but I just didn't "get" the benefit of the Accutrigger and I found the "false" trigger pull part odd and distracting. I sold the Savage as soon as my state legalized straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting.

hotsoup

FNG
i have a couple savage centerfire rifles, a 223 first year axis, and a 30-06 weather warrior. never had a problem with either. i gave the 30-06 to a son and i use the 223 for beavers, deer, and coyotes. i contemplated getting a 110 storm in 308, but i currently use a winchester m70 extreme weather in 308, so can't justify a 110. i gave one of my grandkids a new axis package gun in 243. he's killed a few deer with the rifle and seems very happy. nothing wrong with savage rifles.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My experience is Savages were easy to work on and customize with the barrel nut and floating bolt head as a DIY tightwad. Not as robust aftermarket as the Rem 700, but plenty. You can take a long action Savage from .223 to 300 rum if you want. That's a huge plus.

A Proof prefit barrel on a frankensavage shot just as well as the same barrel in a custom action, custom stock, and trigger (that cost almost as much as the Savage action did, lol). Barrels are the biggest part of the accuracy equation.

Of the gazzilions of cheap Savages out there, yeah, extractors definitely go down. The cheap upgrade fixes it most every time. I never had a problem with like 10 or 12 I owned or half dozen other friends have.

Yup, the primary extraction is goofy and bolt timing can be way off making bolt lift crazy. And, the bolt is sloppy for sure.

Yes, on a new rifle you should pull every bolt, degrease it and retorque it. Probably a dozen times I have helped a random guy struggling to zero a new Savage with the factory scope. Invariably the rings and base are loose. Add blue loctite and torque and they are usually good to go. Their frustration changes to elation when they shoot a very good grouo.

The Accutrigger is one of the best factory triggers out there for precision I have felt. It won't hold you back until the typical shooter's form is greatly improved. It is functionally like a two stage. It is also a pretty decent safety feature.

I don't own a single centerfire Savage any more, and probably won't buy one. But, "for the money" your odds are much higher getting a good shooter.

Its pros make up for the cons to a big subset of buyers and shooters. The cons turn off a bigger group.

Mulga

FNG
Boiled down, they just don't float my boat. I'd rather save my pocket money to buy something really nice, than buy a Savage now an then after lust for something nicer!

It took me twelve months back in 1999 as a student, to save enough to buy my first rifle, a Sako 75 hunter in 25-06. I still have that rifle today but re-barrelled and chambered in 338-06. No regrets.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have a few and they all shoot well and have no ejection issues at all. I think the few feed problems I have heard about are all on really cheap models.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
My three Savage rifles ( 110 Storm in .223, 93R17, and Model 12 LRPV in .223 ) have given me many hours of pleasure shooting them. No functional issues other than some very early mag feeding issues with the 110 that have resolved. The LRPV is an absolute horse, 12-13 lbs all up. Sub-MOA groups at 500 yards are routine. Just a year ago if you told me I could hit ANYTHING with a rifle at 500 yards I would have laughed. Now my routine targets at 500 are 6" and 4" gongs ( this one`s tough! ).

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
I bought the Carbon lite predator 308, 18"bbl. I really like being able to adjust the Accufit stock, but don't really care for the Accutrigger. Otherwise it shot great for break in. Handy little rifle. I like my prc's better so I'm going to send down the road. I would buy one in prc with no worries.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My friend just got 2 of them, one of those carbon barrel ones in 6.5 creed and one of the heavy barrel brush hunter ones in 375 Ruger.

They seem ok but the magazines seem cheap and overly complex compared to a tikka magazine. I also saw older ones that used a wood screw to anchor the trigger guard into the plastic stock, I always thought that was weird.

All the same, one of the lightweight (not the proof ones) in 6.5 would make a pretty nice hiking rifle.