When do you hood when layering?

In looking up hunting layering systems I noticed that pretty much every level of layering from base to mid to jacket to rain gear has hooded and non-hooded options. That raises the question of what layers do you typically get with a hood? It gets uncomfortable stacking hoods on one hand but you want to keep your head warm.

Personally, I use a merino balaclava with my merino base layer, a hooded KUIU Peloton 240 hoodie, a synthetic puffy jacket with no hood and of course hooded raingear.

What combination are you guys using?

nobody

WKR
My base layer is always hooded. Earlier in the year I'll typically just do that and then no other hoods other than my puffy coat if needed. In late seasons, I'll typically also have a mid-layer with a hood and then my puff coat is hooded as well. My parka is also hooded, but the hood on it is removable, and it's zipped off the coat 90% of the time.

My thinking is my base layer hood is so thin and light it doesn't matter if I layer over top of it, it doesn't have enough bulk to make a difference. In the late season, excess hoods go away when I walk and shed layers, but then I've always got the thin one from my base layer to cut the cold if needed. Then if I'm putting on the other layers, the hoods are always welcome because of the cold. But even then, I've never got more than a couple on. But just like everything else with clothing, layers are key. Hoods are no different.

Dennis

WKR
I wear Kuiu Gila with hood for sun protection hot weather
No hoods on my wool base layers, but use wool beanie if needed
Mid layers with hoods are 97 Peloton and 200 Peloton, but only wear one or the other not both
I add vests over mid layers as needed for comfort (no hoods)
Outer layer Kuiu jackets all have hoods, but normally only wear one hooded garment under whatever jacket I am wearing. Jackets with hoods are 240 Peloton, Kenai, Guide, Super down or Chugach rain gear

While it is rare that I have more than two hooded garments on at any one time, I think it's has happened when extremely cold, windy and wet. Never say never!

Tick

WKR
I am not a fan of hoods on base or midlayers in cool weather. My insulation and outer shell are hooded. I am going to try a base hoodie instead of a sun hat this early season.

Geewhiz

WKR
Hoods on puffy's and outer shells.

If Im cold Ill be wearing those. If Im not cold I dont want a hood.

yfarm

WKR
Depends on activity level or the presence of cold rain. When sedentary in extreme cold, hood adds significant warmth as it traps heat escaping around your collar. In less severe cold I like a quiet loose hood worn with a ballcap to maintain normal hearing, find ear coverings reduce my hearing, suppose this could be negated by using hearing amplification. Another option I have used is a fleece balaclava designed to be worn over a snowboard helmet, again maintaining hearing because of the loose fit. Only company I found making these is Burton.

tracker12

WKR
Love hoods. If I get cold that hood adds a layer of warmth. I have them on my mid layer and outer

Same here. Base, mid-layer, puffy and Jacket. They all have them. They will sometimes get covered or stacked, but I've learned to sort them out pretty quickly. I'd rather have them than not for archery through 3rd rifle. The orange vest gets in the way and more tangled than the hoods.

Poser

WKR
In the SW, you almost always need a sun hoody option so something light, be it a synthetic sun hoody or a thin merino hoody if it’s a bit cooler. Otherwise, you’ll get cooked by the sun. If the sun is out and I’m not sheltered from it by a terrain feature or timber, hood is up.

I don’t mind stacking 2-3 hoods when it’s cold, but not a fan of puffy hoods unless it’s Arctic cold out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup- hoods on every layer :D

A hood makes a great way to adjust your temperature, little cool throw the hood up, little warm, pull it down.

In warm, sunny weather a hood on a light base layer is a godsend; found that out the backpacking in the Sierra's last year and again this year on my trip to the Mazatzal's.

Hoods on everything. Easiest way to regulate body temperature, when going back and forth between high output movements and stopping, especially in moderate to cold temperatures. Much faster than switching layers.