When/why did people begin starting sentences with 'so?'

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
"So, Peter, what's happening? Aahh, now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon?"

When I use it.........it's more like "Soooo.........Peter, what's happening". Adding it and even elongating it, totally changes the connotation. And connotations are important in communicating.

Compare that to "Peter, what's happening". Totally different connotation.

Yoder

WKR
My manager EVERY DAY: "Soooooooo, what's on the radar? Soooo , soooo are we making progress?"

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
My most recent hated word used in the industry I work in is when people use the word "bandwidth" to describe a company or an individual's capabilities. Nails on a chalkboard.
Sounds like asking a web/graphic designer to add more pop to something. Now some photo editing apps have a pop slider...

We just had a discussion over this. We have a project where the Plant Manager uses "So" in every sentence and now the project Superintendent is starting to do it. Funny.

Beats the heck out of my wife starting every sentence with ..."we need to". I never knew my name was "WE".

I get aggravated listening to people that keep saying "you know", or "like", or "I mean". I used to listen to Sean Hannity, but I stopped because he uses all three of the above in every sentence, sometimes multiple times.

Agro, sus, slide into my DMs. It will never end. I hope some of these language trends fall into obscurity

I have noticed in the past few years it seems everyone is starting sentences with 'so.' Spoken AND written.

So I went on vacation..
So i:m looking for a new gun...
So i'm wondering...

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people, so it must have something to do with the younger generations.

I am in the middle of editing a shitpile of stuff for a technology startup and while the team is very smart, every damn third sentence starts with 'so,' "So, to enable the code, you'll need to do XYZ." How about "To enable the code..."??

It's gotten to the point where I often just search and delete every 'so' in a document.

I am not sure of the source of 'so' at the beginning of sentences, but for the love of Pete, if you see one, delete it, if you say one, stop.

That is all...

It's because people are saying out loud a type of internal monologue.
Narrating their thoughts and feelings to you as though they are in a movie made for morons, by morons so the plot needs narration.
They are their main character.
They think their character is so exciting that you'll be enthralled to be filled in on their little life.

hunt1up

WKR
We had a safety guy at our factory who would say "like I said" constantly, even when he never previously said anything. During a 10 minute conversation he'd say it no less than 50 times. "So we went crappie fishing, like I said." Oh, like I said, dinner was good." One time he said, "like I said, like I said" when finishing a conversation.

He did that for decades. It was just what Paul did. He retired and 2 weeks later had a heart attack and died. He was a good dude and "like I said" now is a fond memory and something the rest of us say from time to time almost as a tribute. When he was still around it was sure hard to keep a straight face at times though!

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Knew a guy that started nearly every sentence in conversation with "now then"..."Now then we really need to start gettin them crops out." Does that mean today or next week???
Maybe it means "if we didn't get the crops out when we were supposed to, THEN we better do it NOW?" Seems as good as anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
My most recent hated word used in the industry I work in is when people use the word "bandwidth" to describe a company or an individual's capabilities. Nails on a chalkboard.
I don't have the bandwidth to finish everything that's on my radar, we just can't get any traction.

One of my old managers and I would see how many of these cringe worthy catch phrases we could use in a single meeting. What was hilarious was the overwhelmingly positive reaction we got. We would talk mostly buzz word nonsense and everyone would nod in agreement.

Botay

FNG
It’s informal and used conversationally in our spoken languages. In writing, it really has no place when used like that unless in dialogue.

I hate that. Loathe it. Would rather slam my junk in a sliding glass door than read or hear it. Worse than that is starting with "okay so." Makes me want to slap a bitch right out of his skinny jeans.

More grating than that though is women who talk in vocal fry. Why in the hell a young woman would want to sound like an 80 year old smoker is befuddling to me. When you get a bunch of them together and excited they sound like a bunch of cicadas on a sweltering summer day.

Dude at the office switches to vocal fry when he talks to the women in the office. I want to jam a splintered pine dowel up his piss hole.

WKR
So I feel like it's like kinda sus that so many gen-xers are run out of bandwidth and getting so agro about this rn. At which hour shall thee learneth the constants of our w'rld art changeth and feareth of t!

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people, so it must have something to do with the younger generations.

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people. So, it must have something to do with the younger generations.

;)

Reactions: 9.1