Where are the big bulls?

After focusing primarily on Mulies for the last 20 years, my brother and I have decided to try for some decent bulls.

I just got back from a combined family vacation/scouting trip to Colorado. We will be muzzy hunting a new to us unit, so I wanted to try to locate some elk. I was only able to get in a day and a half of scouting, but in that time managed to locate three different groups of elk...about 130 in all. I was very happy to find that many, after seeing very few in the CO units we have hunted in the past.

In the herds we found, about 10% were bulls. The largest were 4x4’s and one 5x5, but no real mature bulls. I’m guessing that the bigger, more mature bulls are either still off in bachelor groups or out on their own.

I won’t be able to make it back up there until the hunt starts. Is it reasonable to think that some bigger bulls will show up with those herds in mid September?
07f6c151b5313405b33e375e82a8df2d.jpg

2ad8bde9938169794533f9c5cda074b2.jpg

No. Those are Colorado herd bulls. Just kidding. Those are what I call nursery herds. There are bigger bulls around. Staying out of the sun this time of year.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
In the middle of September all you have to find is the cows, they determine where the herd bulls will be.

TX_Diver

WKR
Hmmm. It's hard to say without knowing exactly where that's at. If you can PM me a unit and some more detailed location info I should be able to advise better... :ROFLMAO:

I'd think the herd bulls would still be in hiding but more likely to be closer to those herds leading up to the rut.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In MOST Colorado units those are big bulls. In any otc or sub 1-3 point unit, a 260 6x6 is a great bull. Are there bigger bulls in otc? Absolutely, but very, very few. I’ve seen plenty of small 6x6 or big 5x5 that are herd bulls in Colorado with a harem of cows. Heck, last year I had a small 5x6 bugling his head off with his herd of cows. Zero question he was the biggest bull in the area.

Here’s the herd bull.
927644F6-C1AA-4FC1-ABEC-1650CFAA46D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
5x5s are herd bulls in many OTC units. Not all the time of course but the bigger bulls are probably off by themselves right now.

OP
Josey Wales
In MOST Colorado units those are big bulls. In any otc or sub 1-3 point unit, a 260 6x6 is a great bull. Are there bigger bulls in otc? Absolutely, but very, very few. I’ve seen plenty of small 6x6 or big 5x5 that are herd bulls in Colorado with a harem of cows. Heck, last year I had a small 5x6 bugling his head off with his herd of cows. Zero question he was the biggest bull in the area.

Here’s the herd bull.
View attachment 205119
Thanks for the input, and excellent sharpee job.

No. Those are Colorado herd bulls. Just kidding. Those are what I call nursery herds. There are bigger bulls around. Staying out of the sun this time of year.

I should have titled the thread, "Please tell me these aren't CO herd bulls?"

Hmmm. It's hard to say without knowing exactly where that's at. If you can PM me a unit and some more detailed location info I should be able to advise better... :ROFLMAO:

I'd think the herd bulls would still be in hiding but more likely to be closer to those herds leading up to the rut.

Thanks for your input! It's Ft. Phantom unit in Texas, and the coordinates are 32 degrees, 35 minutes, 31.12 seconds North, 99 degrees, 41 minutes, 38.65 seconds west.

Do herd bulls swim?
Where are the big bulls? AZ and UT most likely.

No doubt. One of these years...