Which 18650 batteries and charger do you trust?

I'm new to the rechargeable headlamp game. I've been reading that some 18650 batteries and/or chargers can be a safety hazard due to overcharging or unstable parts or something along those lines. I'm getting a zebralight headlamp that takes a single 18650. Which battery and which charger do you guys use that have worked for you and that you know are safe? Not trying to spend a bunch on the charger, so whatever is safe and reasonably priced is perfect for me.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Good topic. I suspect, and have had less than good experiences, with the cheap ones from AMZN and EBAY.

I have had no problems with the batteries or chargers from Fenix, but they ain't cheap.

These items are a good example of you get what you pay for.

Eddie

TheCougar

WKR
I use the Zebralight batteries, although there are several reputable manufacturers out there. I use this charger:

it is light, portable, and you can recharge your batteries or use your spare batteries as a power bank

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Orbtronic protected cells. LiitoKala Lii-500 charger.

Zebralight batteries are great. They are protected and hold charge very well, even in the cold. I got an 18650 size plastic battery carrier for a couple dollars from amazon and lined it with some bubble wrap to carry around extras in my pack so they aren’t banging around or punctured if I fall etc.

The Miboxer c4 smart charger has been great for me. I think it was $40. Just make sure whatever you get has some safety features.

I picked up a few on Amazon that are of suspect quality.

Have good luck with the zebra and nite core versions.

As mentioned above, I also like the surefire and stream light versions. I think because they are a reputable company but also the plug straight on the battery. I figure that has to reduce capacity but the theoretical ability to charge in the field via solar or a battery pack or vehicle charging is great.

The streamlight batteries that plug straight into the battery are my favorite.

Those look sweet, but do they only come in a 2700mah version?

A quick google search shows me that nitecore has a direct plug battery that is 3400, and fenix has one that is 3500.

My friends and I have been using the green panasonic ncr18650b batteries for the past several years and have no complaints.

My charger is an older nitecore single battery charger, but I've been thinking about getting the LC10 that @TheCougar linked above because of the reversibility.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I use Zebralight batteries and a Nitecore charger. Haven't had any issues with either.

For 18650's, I use the Nitecore 3400mAh, Fenix 3400mAh, and Fenix 3500mAh, all with the micro-usb port. Happy with all. Micro m&m's come in a small plastic tube that works well for carrying spares.

Those look sweet, but do they only come in a 2700mah version?

A quick google search shows me that nitecore has a direct plug battery that is 3400, and fenix has one that is 3500.

My friends and I have been using the green panasonic ncr18650b batteries for the past several years and have no complaints.

My charger is an older nitecore single battery charger, but I've been thinking about getting the LC10 that @TheCougar linked above because of the reversibility.
I have the fenix 3500 in my EDC flashlight and it lasts forever. The plug on the top is so handy too. I have a couple surefire batteries too that are the same way. Not sure how many mah they are but still worth it

Squirrels

WKR
Not all 18650 batteries will work in a zebralight, or not at least in the zebralight I ordered last year and returned. I already had a couple fenix handheld lights and a fenix headlamp. Wanted to try a zebra based on all the good I hear about them. Two things, first they require a battery with a high output. Second, some batteries are to long. While I was able to get the protected fenix batteries I already owned to fit they were reallly to long. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think zebra sells unprotected batteries (not that there is anything wrong with that) becasuse the lights themselves have adequate circuit protection. Don't believe battery length is as much of an issue on older model zebras based on the reserach and digging I did.

Not all 18650 batteries will work in a zebralight, or not at least in the zebralight I ordered last year and returned. I already had a couple fenix handheld lights and a fenix headlamp. Wanted to try a zebra based on all the good I hear about them. Two things, first they require a battery with a high output. Second, some batteries are to long. While I was able to get the protected fenix batteries I already owned to fit they were reallly to long. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think zebra sells unprotected batteries (not that there is anything wrong with that) becasuse the lights themselves have adequate circuit protection. Don't believe battery length is as much of an issue on older model zebras based on the reserach and digging I did.

My dad had issues with some protected batteries in his zebralight. I dont remember which brand they were or other details, but his light would only work on the higher settings for a few seconds.

Switched to the unprotected panasonics and has never had an issue since.