Which animal would you hunt?

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Easy to bring meat back on the plane, I do it every year. Get a couple collapsible coolers and check them like luggage. Mine hold about 45 lbs and keeps them under the 50 lb limit. Costs a bit, but it's worth it to me when you add up all the costs of the hunt. All the meat I bring back is frozen beforehand and stays perfect until I'm home. I fly from St. Louis to Seattle.
What cooler do you use?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I don't have them here right now as they are with a buddy in Missouri. But the brand is California Innovation I believe. They came with little fold up dollies but I don't use those. I don't remember the exact size but I would estimate it is around 40-50 quarts. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Based on my poor memory, size is about 18X12X18 or so. They collapse flat to fit in my luggage when I go out there.

Last edited:

tam9492

WKR
* Avoid Mouflon and aoudad as those could potentially kick you out of the <1 Club (WSF). For "not much more" in price, you can hunt them free range and get a much better hunting experience.
* Avoid the farm yard sheep species unless they threaten to blackmail you for what you did to them the night before.
* Blackbuck is a viable option. Meat is good, they have nice looking racks but you want the hide to be black.
* Axis is the best option. They have great looking racks, awesome hides, and arguably the best tasting meat of any wild game.
WSF just changed this policy for aoudad due to negative impacts on desert bighorns - simply to keep folks from being discouraged to kill more aoudad.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have them here right now as they are with a buddy in Missouri. But the brand is California Innovation I believe. They came with little fold up dollies but I don't use those. I don't remember the exact size but I would estimate it is around 40-50 quarts. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Based on my poor memory, size is about 18X12X18 or so. They collapse flat to fit in my luggage when I go out there.
Thanks

The OP created this thread specifically asking for the opinions that you are suggesting he disregard.

Actually, I never said disregard. What I said was, to not let the Google-foo experts dissuade the OP from being an independent thinker. I'm a big advocate for independent thinking. Not a proponent of "do as all the other sheep tell me to do".

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
WSF just changed this policy for aoudad due to negative impacts on desert bighorns - simply to keep folks from being discouraged to kill more aoudad.
They didn't change policy. Their past rules say Aoudad, red sheep taken in NA free range don't disqualify you. Their press release and social media posts about this "rule change" baffled every one I know that has read the rules in the past to enter <1 as it was already the rule.

To the OP...I would shoot a Black Buck and/or Mouflon.

Weldor

WKR
Size wise for meat Blackbuck when flying, Axis is oustanding table fair. Blackbuck is very tender and tasty also .Those would be my two choices. We drive so bringing back full coolers non issue. Enjoy your hunt.

Rich M

WKR
not sure where you are going or how they set things up. I went to a high fence hunt for does (he was thinning the herd and we bought like 5 does). It was horrible - like going to a petting zoo and killing some.

Saw some axis deer while there and they are pretty.

nosajnh

FNG
I was in a similar situation and I would definitely go for the Axis. They are excellent eating and a cool mount as well. I would not bother with the blackbuck if it is a one or the other situation unless you do not like venison and prefer the mount of the blackbuck. The blackbucks are tiny little things. The axis will also probably be a more interesting hunt, which is a relative thing if it is high fence over feeders. Initially I was not real interested in doing a high fence hunt however I had a great time on my hunt as it was with friends on a friends ranch where we stayed and were treated to fantastic food, drink and hospitality and someone else was footing the bill.