Which Argali knife

paxamus

WKR
So I can’t decide- the Carbon or the Serac? I like both but I am having trouble deciding on which one I want to go with. Right now I have a MKC Jackstone and I love the handle but the blade profile is just ok. Any input from users

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the carbon and like it pretty well. I’ve used it on several elk and it does fine. Easy to touch up.

Drenalin

WKR
I like the blade shape of the Serac (haven't used the Carbon) but I really wish they'd put orange scales on it.

I have the carbon, but have not used the serac.

I have used it on five or so animals and have found the sharpness to be somewhat underwhelming, even new out of the box. I'm willing to concede that I probably suck at sharpening but it seemed lacking on the first use. It does fine to well on muscle but required more effort on hide than I was used to.

I like the profile of the carbon just a little bit more. The point and thinner belly is a little easier for me to make first cuts. Both are good but you have to think of what profile fits you better.

lintond

WKR
I have the carbon, but have not used the serac.

I have used it on five or so animals and have found the sharpness to be somewhat underwhelming, even new out of the box. I'm willing to concede that I probably suck at sharpening but it seemed lacking on the first use. It does fine to well on muscle but required more effort on hide than I was used to.

I think you and I have the same sharpening talent. I have had a similar experience.

I think you and I have the same sharpening talent. I have had a similar experience.

I'm with you and the other guy. I found the edge retention and related sharpness to be "sub-optimal". I really liked the shape and the size of the serac. I could get it hair-popping sharp as well as getting it professionally sharpened at one point but found it would dull up pretty fast (less than one side of a doe). I'm pretty easy on my knives and avoid hitting to much bone or hair but the edge retention wasn't there for me. I have since moved on to other knives/steels.