Which Arrows - Looking For 450 grains

Benjblt

WKR
I'm currently shooting the last version of the Easton 4mm FMJ's, 400 spine w/55 grain titanium outsert for a total weight of 446 grains with a 100 grain head. My draw is 27.5" with 70 lb limbs shooting roughly 275-278 fps. I started to re-examine my arrow set up after I traded in my Bowtech BTX 28 on warranty for a CP28. I like the strength of the FMJ's but I've got two problems: 1) I was originally shooting at a 27"draw and discovered that 27.5" was what I should be shooting. I'd had my FMJ's cut as short as possible (roughly 26.5", I know, I'm an idiot) prior to lenghtening my draw. Well now I need to lenghten my arrow. Probably closer to 28" really. 2) I think I need to move to a 340 spine as I'm on the verge of the the 400's not being rigid enough.

I really want to stay aroudn 450 grains, give or take 10 grains, to maintain some semblance of speed. What arrow would you all recommend? If i just go to the 340 4mm FMJ's i think that would put me in the 480's. I'd love to stick with the aluminum hybrid but I'm not stuck to it. The guy at the bow shop mentioned the VAP TKO. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking for expensive but I'll do what i have to do. I just need repeatable accuracy without having to tune the crap out of my bow.

Also, I now have some good FMJ's for sale :)

Sled

WKR
Easton hexx 330, axis and victory rip xv would work for you with inserts but aren't metal hybrid. Lots of good ones out there.

Easton Sonic 6 or black eagle rampage, either should get you close to the weight you are looking for. Depending on how you build them Axis 340s may work as well.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Victory RIP TKOs in .350 spine. Mine are 27.25" carbon to carbon, 50 grain IW HIT insert, 25 grain IW SS Collar, 100 grain point, 3 x AAE Max Stealth Vanes, Bohning A nocks. TAW = 451 grains.

One of the best hunting arrows made right now in my opinion!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fan of Sirius arrows. I have the Apollos which by the time it’s done I’m around 525 gr. They released a lighter gpi .204 shaft last year which should put you in the range you’d prefer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 with a regular nock and 3 blazer vanes with a 50 grain insert. With a 100 grain head you should be around 430 grains or go up to a 125 grain head to get closer to your goal.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a lot of top end arrows the last few years and have settled on the gold tip air strikes with iron will components

Beendare

WKR
Easton guy here for 4 decades. I’ve been disappointed with the finish on the GT and Eastons in the last 5-10 years.

I went to Accmos….great arrow at 1/3rd the price

L to R; Axis, Accmos, Easton
FD38374D-A83B-400D-AF11-A07E7CD63045.jpeg

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the same draw length and poundage. I’m really happy with RIP TKO’s and the standard 50 grain halfout they come with. While I’m not shooting rocks with them for fun, I’ve had zero durability issues on game. I use a 27” carbon to carbon arrow with 300 spine,125 grain tips and nockturnal nocks. My arrows come in around 455-457 grains and fly great.

I'm surprised that a 26.5" arrow is too short for your 27.5" draw length. Draw length is measured at a point roughly 1.75" in front of the Berger hole (rest mounting hole), and most rests sit well behind the Berger hole. In most cases, an arrow a shaft with carbon-to-carbon length 2" shorter than draw length will stay on the rest at full draw with some margin for error. You may prefer your arrows to be significantly longer than the bare minimum (which is fine), but I wouldn't throw out your 26.5" 4mm FMJ's just yet.

If you do want something new and are set on a carbon-metal hybrid, your options are very limited. Easton's FMJ (carbon-aluminum) and Victory's RIP/VAP SS (carbon-stainless steel) are the only hybrid shafts I'm aware of that are still in production.

If you're open to full carbon shafts, the world is your oyster. The simplest and most economical route would be to stick with a standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) shaft. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are my go-to standard diameter recommendations. Any of those in 340-350 spine cut at 28" (could go shorter if you want) with 150-175 gr total on the front (head + insert) and 30 gr on the back would come out around 450 gr TAW with nearly "optimal" dynamic spine according to the charts/calculators.

*Edited to specify carbon-to-carbon shaft length*

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm surprised that a 26.5" arrow is too short for your 27.5" draw length. Draw length is measured at a point roughly 1.75" in front of the Berger hole (rest mounting hole), and most rests sit well behind the Berger hole. In most cases, an arrow 2" shorter than draw length will stay on the rest at full draw with some margin for error. You may prefer your arrows to be significantly longer than the bare minimum (which is fine), but I wouldn't throw out your 26.5" 4mm FMJ's just yet.

If you do want something new and are set on a carbon-metal hybrid, your options are very limited. Easton's FMJ (carbon-aluminum) and Victory's RIP/VAP SS (carbon-stainless steel) are the only hybrid shafts I'm aware of that are still in production.

If you're open to full carbon shafts, the world is your oyster. The simplest and most economical route would be to stick with a standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) shaft. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are my go-to standard diameter recommendations. Any of those in 340-350 spine cut at 28" (could go shorter if you want) with 150-175 gr total on the front (head + insert) and 30 gr on the back would come out around 450 gr TAW with nearly "optimal" dynamic spine according to the charts/calculators.
It's about 3/8" from the rest at full draw to the start of the outsert. Is there no advantage to going with a micro-diameter arrow?

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with either the RIP or VAP tkos. I have the RIPS with 50 grain outsert and mine coming in right at 440

Is there no advantage to going with a micro-diameter arrow?
In theory, a smaller diameter arrow will drift less in a crosswind. In practice, I think that broadhead and fletching size/shape have more influence on wind drift than shaft diameter and that the wind's effect on the shooter's ability to aim/hold steady has more influence on ultimate point of impact than how much the wind pushes the arrow in flight.

The downsides of small/micro diameter arrows are cost and limited insert choices. I personally won't use a half-out/outsert of any kind, which leaves me one option for a 4mm shaft (6-40 thread HIT) and two options for a 5mm shaft (8-32 thread HIT or 6-40 thread RPS insert). A 6-40 thread ("Deep Six") insert severely limits broadhead choices. For those who insist on shooting something smaller than standard diameter, a 5mm shaft with a HIT is the best option IMO.

Guncap

FNG
+1 for the RIP TKO as well. Depending on how long you cut them, they will get you in the ballpark of 450 with a couple of options for components. I personally despise aluminum half outs regardless of who makes them, but the 60 gr Victory Shok SS half outs they ship with the standard RIP's are a fantastic option. Same with the Podium Archer half outs. Otherwise the other route would be a HIT insert with a collar.

Since you mention liking hybrid shafts, you should look at the Victory RIP SS/VAP SS. These give you the benefits of an FMJ style shaft but none of the drawbacks, the largest one being bending.

I'm currently shooting the last version of the Easton 4mm FMJ's, 400 spine w/55 grain titanium outsert for a total weight of 446 grains with a 100 grain head. My draw is 27.5" with 70 lb limbs shooting roughly 275-278 fps. I started to re-examine my arrow set up after I traded in my Bowtech BTX 28 on warranty for a CP28. I like the strength of the FMJ's but I've got two problems: 1) I was originally shooting at a 27"draw and discovered that 27.5" was what I should be shooting. I'd had my FMJ's cut as short as possible (roughly 26.5", I know, I'm an idiot) prior to lenghtening my draw. Well now I need to lenghten my arrow. Probably closer to 28" really. 2) I think I need to move to a 340 spine as I'm on the verge of the the 400's not being rigid enough.

I really want to stay aroudn 450 grains, give or take 10 grains, to maintain some semblance of speed. What arrow would you all recommend? If i just go to the 340 4mm FMJ's i think that would put me in the 480's. I'd love to stick with the aluminum hybrid but I'm not stuck to it. The guy at the bow shop mentioned the VAP TKO. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking for expensive but I'll do what i have to do. I just need repeatable accuracy without having to tune the crap out of my bow.

Also, I now have some good FMJ's for sale :)
Mine sit at 445. Victory RIP TKO Elite, three Flex Fletch SK2, 10 grain Iron Will collar, 50 grain Easton HIT brass insert, 100 grain Grim Reaper. Works perfectly for me.

Marble

WKR
It's about 3/8" from the rest at full draw to the start of the outsert. Is there no advantage to going with a micro-diameter arrow?
Listen to mighty mouse as he has good, well explained advice.

My .02... keep it simple. A 5mm carbon shaft, no outserts or half outs. Something with a HIT. Arrow should be about an inch or so shorter than your DL.

You can add up components and mess with arrow length to get an approximate weight near what you want.

Just don't make it complicated. Each additional component adds run out, complexity and cost. And most of that stuff is not needed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Listen to mighty mouse as he has good, well explained advice.

My .02... keep it simple. A 5mm carbon shaft, no outserts or half outs. Something with a HIT. Arrow should be about an inch or so shorter than your DL.

You can add up components and mess with arrow length to get an approximate weight near what you want.

Just don't make it complicated. Each additional component adds run out, complexity and cost. And most of that stuff is not needed.

No love for the 4mm shafts it seems.

I'll measure mine again tonight but they are cut about 1" to 1-1/2" shorter then my draw length and they seem way short, even with the Easton titanium outsert. If you can't tell I'm not a bow nut/expert or anything of that nature. Every time I talk to someone at the counter of the bow shop they are concerned for me when I tell them I shoot fixed blade broad heads. Like I said the carbon is about 3/8" past my drop-away rest at full draw (plus outsert).

Marble

WKR
No love for the 4mm shafts it seems.

I'll measure mine again tonight but they are cut about 1" to 1-1/2" shorter then my draw length and they seem way short, even with the Easton titanium outsert. If you can't tell I'm not a bow nut/expert or anything of that nature. Every time I talk to someone at the counter of the bow shop they are concerned for me when I tell them I shoot fixed blade broad heads. Like I said the carbon is about 3/8" past my drop-away rest at full draw (plus outsert).

Got it. My focus is simplicity, durability and ease of getting components.

My bow shop has never said one way or another for fixed or mechanical. They know the issues with each and provide options/opinions.

The 4mm shafts just have limitations on components.

I just want to keep it simple and ficus on the biggest factor affecting accuracy. And that would be me!

To clarify, when I said you can usually go 2" shorter than draw length and still have comfortable margin, I was referring to the carbon-to-carbon length of the shaft. Easton's 4mm titanium half-out sticks out in front of the shaft about 1". So if your 26.5" arrow length measurement includes the exposed portion of the half-out, your carbon-to-carbon length would be around 25.5" (which would indeed be flirting with the bare minimum at a 27.5" draw length).