Which blade steel?

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
So I am in the process of doing a custom shop bench made mini crooked river knife. I have many lightweight knives for hunting so this is gonna be my every day carry knife. My options for blade steels are s30v 20cv m4 or s90v. I would like it to hold a good edge, but also be able to sharpen it without too much hassle! Thanks guys!

CGS55

FNG
I own s30v, m4, and s90v. My dedicated skinning knife is in s90v due to edge retention. My overall outdoors/hunting knife is s30v because its less rigid than s90v but still holds its edge well (I accidentally snapped the edge of s90v last year because of its extra strength/hardness). I like m4 for daily carry because I know I'll be able to keep it clean and dry and won't have to worry about corrosion like I would while hunting. So if your knife is for everyday carry I think you'd be hard pressed to beat m4!

Lawnboi

WKR
All the steels mentioned besides m4 are stainless, and imo fairly hard to sharpen. Also won’t have the toughest edges. A little practice and can be done but it’s not like sharpening A2, aebl, 3v or a carbon steel.

On top of that, heat treat is just as if not more important that the type of steel used.

If this is your first step into a higher end steel you could probably pick any and be satisfied.

I would disagree w the M4 re: stainless also. Have a Spyderco Bradley 2 in front of me with finger prints in the steel I cannot remove. Lots of great attributes to M4....but it will discolor and stain

sndmn11

WKR
I would disagree w the M4 re: stainless also. Have a Spyderco Bradley 2 in front of me with finger prints in the steel I cannot remove. Lots of great attributes to M4....but it will discolor and stain

That's what I love about tool steel! Patina is sweet.
I need a Bradley 2 to complete my Spydie Bradley set....

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
A user collector here, A2 is one of my fav's a

oUk7GQq.png

QVIcvVW.jpg

Etching A2 minimizes the noticiablity of a patina!

FhgpApE.png

Nessmuk set, etched A2, Gene Ingram

88IXt6v.png

Nessmuk Set, Etched A2, Howe Mountain Knives

p9f4vlW.png

Etched A2, Menefee Made Knives

LHMwMcd.png

Randall #1 Fighter by Rick Menefee, Etched A2

ya!

GWB

mcseal2

WKR
I’ve become a big fan of 3V in a fixed blade. It can be made tough enough for my needs in a thinner blade that slices better.

I really like my Battle Horse or Blind Horse O1 steel knives too. The patina is cool.

ESEE does an excellent job on 1095 carbon steel.

My favorite steel for a folder is S35 or S30V. I really like ZT’s S35VN.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a fan of the super steels. They perform well and I won’t argue that but I find them to take more time to sharpen and more difficult to maintain. Verses a high carbon tool steel that hones easily and stays wicked sharp with a few swipes on a strop as you go.

of the steels you listed, S30V is my pick. Otherwise good ol 1095 and a proper heat treat.

Totoro

WKR
I've owned factory and customs in all the steels above. Outta those offered 20CV is my choice.

However, why not just send it back to BM for resharpen?

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Carothers Performance Knives as well.
They do a couple of steels but they have a 3V that is tweaked during heat treat which makes it basically stainless.
I find it super easy to sharpen in the field and it holds an edge like nothing else I have used.

sndmn11

WKR
Take a look at Carothers Performance Knives as well.
They do a couple of steels but they have a 3V that is tweaked during heat treat which makes it basically stainless.
I find it super easy to sharpen in the field and it holds an edge like nothing else I have used.
He beats the lordy bananas heck out of those blades too. If a guy carried a small steel or ceramic stone to strop on while processing in the field, those tough steels like 3v, 4v, Cruwear/PD1, are great choices.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm happy with Benchmade's S90V in my EDC folder (a mini Griptilian). I have not chipped the edge on my EDC, or on a Saddle Mountain Skinner, or on an M390 Benchmade that was an EDC before this (M390 is pretty close to S90V). However, I have chipped the edge on my S90V Benchmade Altitude.

S90V is more abrasion resistant than M4, but M4 is a tougher steel and can take a more acute edge angle, which will tend to stay sharp longer. That is theory though as I don't have direct experience with M4 due to living near salt water and corrosion problems with a D2 EDC.