Which chronograph should I buy?

Wrench

WKR
The only thing a labradar gets beat at is really small bullets going really fast. 22cal over 3600ish can give it fits.

I have never put a battery in mine. I use a $20 usb battery and leave it armed for hours. If you run a trigger, you wont pick up anything but your shots.

I now set it up at every bench session. 20220213_100527.jpg

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
If I had to do it again - Lab Radar.

The magneto shifts POI on some of my rifles, so group size and speed data are done in different steps = use more components.

I had some of the older sunscreen types. I build a box around them with a diffuser on top. It was quite a contraption, but it did make it more consistent. Then, I shot it with a 44 magnum !

“Thanks everyone for your replies! How is the prochrono dlx or something similar in the rain? I live on the wetside of the PNW with a lot of dark, rainy days. I would have to set it up outside of the covered shooting area.”

I lived in Kenai, AK (110” annual precipitation). Portland OR gets around 46”. I had no issues with my shooting chrony. I did generally try to keep it under the covered shooting area at the range in Kenai. If this is not an option you may want to consider a unit that sits next to you (assuming you are staying dry).

I’ve heard horror stories about having to lug a car battery with the labradar. I have no personal experience so maybe someone can correct that if it’s a misconception. I’ve also heard that the labradar will pick up the shots of those around you and mess up your data. Again, no personal experience.

Edit: looks like those have been addressed, at least partially.

Last edited:

Blasey

FNG
My Caldwell works great, never had an issue with it. Although it is a little finicky in direct beaming down sunlight. Cloudy days are the best without issue.

Rich M

WKR
I have a caldwell and recognize that there are times when it dont work right. I carry a couple known manufacture loaded bullets as a study group.

Works great otherwise. No reason for me to change.

Wrench

WKR
“Thanks everyone for your replies! How is the prochrono dlx or something similar in the rain? I live on the wetside of the PNW with a lot of dark, rainy days. I would have to set it up outside of the covered shooting area.”

I lived in Kenai, AK (110” annual precipitation). Portland OR gets around 46”. I had no issues with my shooting chrony. I did generally try to keep it under the covered shooting area at the range in Kenai. If this is not an option you may want to consider a unit that sits next to you (assuming you are staying dry).

I’ve heard horror stories about having to lug a car battery with the labradar. I have no personal experience so maybe someone can correct that if it’s a misconception. I’ve also heard that the labradar will pick up the shots of those around you and mess up your data. Again, no personal experience.

Edit: looks like those have been addressed, at least partially.
My battery pack is about the size of two c batteries and will run the labradar for at least 8 hours. I haven't shot longer than that.

Wrench

WKR
One of the other things that's neat with the lab is that it measures the path for 50 plus yards. Everything else gets one "look" at the speed.

Fwiw, I shoot my bow with the lab and trigger with good results.

I had one of those folding chrony and would give unreliable speeds - usually fast. And setting it up out front on a range stinks, and the sun shades (lived in a sunny place when I had it) etc.

I got a magneto speed, easy to set up and use but does have POI shift , and hard to tighten on the barrel so it slides a bit. So when a load goes bad I have to put it on and check velocity etc.

I am saving up for a Lab radar since I would love to know the velocity of every round fired! Could explain a flyer, or show some other loading error etc.

Blasey

FNG
I had one of those folding chrony and would give unreliable speeds - usually fast. And setting it up out front on a range stinks, and the sun shades (lived in a sunny place when I had it) etc.

I got a magneto speed, easy to set up and use but does have POI shift , and hard to tighten on the barrel so it slides a bit. So when a load goes bad I have to put it on and check velocity etc.

I am saving up for a Lab radar since I would love to know the velocity of every round fired! Could explain a flyer, or show some other loading error etc.

Those are some very good points you have. Money is the only barrier.

I bought the battery pack from LabRadar, it’s about the size of a small smartphone and never had it drop below 50%. Before that I used the AA batteries and those lasted 2-3 range sessions depending on length of sessions. If you’re concerned buy 2 battery packs on the net but I don’t think you need to.

I like the Labrador for ease of set up and use. I downloaded the app that I use to arm the system and check velocity and a remote trigger prevents any accidental trips from nearby shooters. Definitely costly but worth it to me.

I used to have to set up an old Oehler model with the wings and it was a pain with the Florida sun and having to wait till the line was clear to adjust it etc. Now I just set it up on my bench and it’s good to go.

JLW66

FNG
i bought the magnetospeed. Then i bought the labradar because i got tired of swapping it around. I like the labradar so far, but the price and availability is ridiculous right now.

EdP

WKR
I don't understand the rain issue because I never do load testing in the rain.
That would amount to about 3 days out of the year in the PNW..
That could make it tough. I don't want to be shooting groups through rain though. Even if it was intermittent rain and you waited for dry spells to shoot, it would be a PITA if you had to keep taking in and putting out your chronograph. The Labradar cost is pretty steep though, about 5x a Prochrono Delux.

Wrench

WKR
It's nice to validate in conditions....train how you hunt theory.

Btw, a $15 usb pack will power the labradar for many hours.

The labradar isn't without faults, it must be setup properly to work accurately and I would hate it without the trigger.