which Crispi?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
those with Thor's- I've read the criticism several times on the lacing- that lower section doesn't lock like many boots do (while you tighten the upper)- is that a big issue for you?

MattB

WKR
My Thor's laces lock fairly well with the eyelet that is made of a boot lace-type material right at the bend of the ankle.

The Thors have a stiffer sole than most light hikers bit know that they have virtually no ankle support. A few other guys on this forum have stated the same.

I like mine for a warm weather boot but wouldn't want to pack a lot of weight with them.

Fair point about the lack of lace locks but you can work around it. Lace the lower section to your desired tightness. Tie a double -x knot like you tie (single) when you tie your shoe or how you start a suture knot. Tune lace the top. The double x will have enough friction to keep your lower laces snug.

Beckjhong

WKR
I tried the Thors and sent them back due to the lack of ankle support. The caveat is most of my hiking ends up being steep, nasty type 2 fun and I have the grace of Baby Huey, so ankle support is a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Colorado, Summit and 2 pairs of Thors. I prefer the Thors and its not close. The Thors for whatever reason feel less stiff than the Summit, and are rated higher on the stiffness chart.

The lacing took me a bit to dial down. Id say if you were going purely on lacing, the Thor would be last out of those 3. But I tighten down to the ankle loops, double overhand there and then criss cross on the upper 2 lace locks.

That being said, I do not like a ton of ankle support. I feel like it makes me stiff and clumsy. I dont like feeling less athletic. Ive never had a problem rolling ankles, so the Thor works best for me.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have the Thors and the Nevadas, i love them both. I got the the Thor to use as a work boot and i love them they are super light and i love the flex, I might hunt in them early season also. The Nevadas are super comfortable, i have not really worn them out in the woods yet. i have only worn the to work (office setting) to break them in. i love the feel they have around the ankles. When i first got them i thought i was gonna have to go with a softer insole, but now that i have worn them some (although limited) the sole must have softened up a hair and they feel fine to me.
I guess i f i were only going to have 1, it would be the Nevadas, but i know i will wear my Thor's 3 to 4 times more than my Nevadas, they are just a more versatile boot really.

V-TRAIN

WKR
for the guys that have the nevadas by chance do you also own salomon quest GTX's ? if so how does thesizing/ fit compare?
I don't have the quest gtx, but I have 4 different pairs of Salomon shoes and wear an 11 in both Crispi and Salomon if that helps. My wife has some Salomon boots, not sure if they are GTX, but they look like a high top version of my shoes.
All the shoes I have have goretex.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
quick update- much to my surprise my local sporting goods store now carries Crispi- they had both the Thor and the Summit

I tried both on and was surprised with the Summit that it was so loose in the mid-foot, I had to look at the tag on the both the boot and the box to make sure it wasn't wasn't a wide

the Thor fit much better for me

both had nice wide toe boxes, but my midfoot was swimming in the Summit- I don't have narrow feet (nor overly wide either), so not sure what was up with that

now keeping an eye out for a decent sale :D

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Idaho’s and I went that route because my feet run so hot so I stayed away from the solid leather boots. I have a wide foot and the toe box is plenty for what I need. Great boots and I’m not sure you really can go wrong with any of their boots.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I have a relatively wide foot and bought the wide Thor II this fall and I love them.

With regards to Thors do you guys think the improvements on the new model make them worth the extra $90 over the now discontinued model?
I have both and if I could find the First gen in my size, I would prefer them. I have a lot of time in both, the Thor IIs seem to be stiffer and less breathable/warmer than the Thor Is. This could be a plus to some, but I thought the first gen were just the right balance of flexible/breathable. Regardless, love the Thors, just personal preference.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well being armed with knowing what size, took advantage of the sale Black Ovis is having on Crispi boots and ordered a pair of Thor II’s

I’ll start wearing them on my daily hikes and see how they do :)

well being armed with knowing what size, took advantage of the sale Black Ovis is having on Crispi boots and ordered a pair of Thor II’s

I’ll start wearing them on my daily hikes and see how they do :)
Would like your input after a few miles and some hills. I'm searching for a new mountain hunting boot. At first I loved my Briksdal SF's, but they just turn into "Briks" when they are wet. They absorb a ton of water. Want something synthetic but still offering comfort and stability.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a quick update- have taken the Thors out for three hikes on our local single tracks (and venturing off trail a little) here- 4-6 miles/each

So far- the toe box is perfect, this is a tough one for me- it's eliminated a ton of shoes and boots for me over the years, these are just right.

It's not as locked in at the mid-foot or heel as my previous La Sportiva's, but I'm going to experiment with a couple of different insoles I have to see if that helps. It's not so bad that I'm getting a bunch of heel slip (although a little on really steep climbs). Also going to look into some alternate lacing options as well.

If a person had a really narrow foot, these wouldn't work.

The outsoles seem to be pretty good- had them on a wide variety of surfaces, hard packed snow, ice, rock and so far so good. La Sportiva probably is the reigning champ in sticky outsoles, but these seem to pretty darn good.

Just a quick weight compare from my previous boots (all size 11)- Thor is 1lb 8oz, La Sportiva Omega 1lb 10 oz, La Sportiva TXS 1lb 6 oz- so definitely in the same ballpark.

I would also add that the Thor is a little stiffer than either Sportiva, not a lot stiffer, but a little.

I've got a long snowshoe trip this weekend, but just don't have the longer miles in them to fully trust them, but plan on getting some longer hikes with them soon.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard nothing but great things about the Nevadas. I have the Guides and my next set will be the Nevada's. I like the GTX but if I am planning on wearing all summer I would not get the gore tex version just due to heat regulation and probably don't need the gore tex if its not raining.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve gotten the Thor’s out a bunch the last couple of weeks; lots of steep stuff and worked in a good deal of sidehilling too. I’m pretty confident now these will be my next hunting boots :). I never substituted insoles, but will probably try it anyways. I did snug up the midfoot laces and used a thick sock which helped a lot.

I never noticed much prior, but the toe box in addition to being roomy, is very protective. Toed a couple of rocks anticipating a jolt, never came- that’s a nice feature.

I finally found a pair of Thor 2’s to try on today for a while. I was expecting a significant amount more ankle support. They definitely would not work for myself with a heavy pack. They would only get softer as well. The new Briksdal SF’s I tried on were much stiffer than the SF’s I have now with 250+ miles on them.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I finally found a pair of Thor 2’s to try on today for a while. I was expecting a significant amount more ankle support. They definitely would not work for myself with a heavy pack. They would only get softer as well. The new Briksdal SF’s I tried on were much stiffer than the SF’s I have now with 250+ miles on them.

Is there a new version of the Briksdal SF now?