Which gun cleaning solvent and copper scrubber do you use?

AKDoc

WKR
I've used Butch's Bore Shine for twenty-years +/-, and it became my go-to right away. I first heard of it from Dan Lilja, when I bought my first rifle barrel from him.

I do a lot of handloading, and I'm a fan of all copper bullets for hunting. Butch's does a super great job removing copper fouling and all the rest...just follow the directions on the bottle.

Edit: My work-bench is out in the garage, so any odors from products is a nonissue for me...I mean my wonderful wife :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I bought a Lilja barrel maybe 10 years ago and their break-in instructions advise to use Butch's Bore Shine, so that's what I have been using. It works pretty well.

Before that I used Montana X-Treme, and if the amount of noxious vapors put off by a solvent are directly proportional to its effectiveness, then nothing is better than Montana X-Treme.

ptmn

FNG
If the Hoppes products have worked well for you these past 60 years, then there's nothing wrong with sticking to them.

I have my cops use CLP and/or Ballistol for routine maintenance and cleaning on their Glocks and M4's.

Each year me and my armorers perform a full armorers maintenance/servicing/inspection on the entire department's weapons. Due to the sheer numbers, we have to be efficient, so we use Sharp Shooter foaming bore solvent to break down carbon and copper fouling. It says it's "brushless cleaning", but we found using a brass bore brush with the foam speeds up the cleaning process. Just make sure you rinse your brass bore brushes off with alcohol, brake cleaner or even water after your done, otherwise the foam breaks down your bore brush. After cleaning, we lube with CLP, you can lube with just about any oil (Hoppes, Ballistol, motor oil, sewing machine oil, 3 in 1 oil, etc) for most firearms and they should run fine.

If you plan to use foaming bore cleaner in an AR type weapon, the foam gets into the gas tube from the barrel's gas port. Not a big issue, but we use a can of brake cleaner with the straw attachment to flush out the gas tube. Probably an un necessary step, but we don't want the foam to seep back into the barrel through the gas port after we clean it.

If you are cleaning plastic wad fouling from a shotgun barrel, we found Shooters Choice shotgun choke cleaner softens the plastic fouling better than other solvents. It really saves us a lot of time, but it's messy and it stinks, lots of nasty fumes.

Hoppes 9 and bronze brush, then sharp shootr accelerator and wipe out or patch out. Cleaning that way every 50iwh rounds will keep it nearly completely clean for a real long time depending on cartridge and powder type.

JBs on a tight patch over an undersized brush w a bit of oil to remove hard carbon if it gets built up

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I believe I responded to this before. the simple answer is no.

i dont remember the last time i cleaned a centerfire rifle barrel. my .22 ill shoot lead till it starts to gunk up some and then send some copper down it then clean with hoppes

rayporter

WKR
i have personally bought 2 rifles that would not shoot. cheap.
a good cleaning turned them into great guns. one did require taking the trigger apart and soaking the pieces in solvent for a few days.