Which optics for the unknown?

WKR
I'll be heading into a new area for a 1 week archery elk (maybe mule deer) backpack hunt in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how much glassing I'll end up doing as I have never hunted this area before.

I have the Maven B1's in 8x42 and B3's in 8x30. (I didn't buy two 8x binos, one is my daughter's) I like spending time with the B1's more than the B3's (I'm guessing it's the larger exit pupil but really don't know) but I like the 13 oz of weight savings with the B3's. (B1 29.125oz, B3 16.25oz).

Which binos would you take? The more comfortable/enjoyable B1's, or the 13oz lighter B3's?

PJG

WKR
For me it comes down to am I hunting in timber or am I hunting in a place that has more open areas.
Timber hunting I use the 8x30 and don't spend much time behind the glass.
Hunting above timberline 10x42, and I spend a lot of time behind the glass.

OP

WKR
I'll sort of be able to answer those questions in about 10 days. I'm taking my girls (7 and 9) on a Dad-venture backpacking trip/scouting trip to the proposed area of hunting.

I'm not sure that will tell me where we'll actually be hunting elk.

If you don't know where the elk will be (timber vs. open) which binos would you use?

three5x5s

WKR
For me you have already answered your question when you said this:

I like spending time with the B1's more than the B3's (I'm guessing it's the larger exit pupil but really don't know)

They are both 8 power so your not losing anything there.
You can find somewhere else to save 13 oz's. Tired eyes are far worst than tired legs for me.

I hunted exclusively the past two years with 8x30 or 8x32 Binos and a Spotting scope. The ONLY time I wish I had different glass is the first 5-10 minutes of light where I can glass better with my 15x56 at yardages exceeding 500+. Once that 5-10 minutes is past I can see well enough with the 8x32s to be completely content. At night I also lose those last few minutes but at that point I wouldn't be able to get within range to kill anything anyway so I'm fine with it.

HookUp

WKR
I'm taking my 12x50 Swaro EL's on my elk hunt and I'll tell you why. After listening to a pod cast with the late Roy Roth he basically said get as high as you can and glass. If you find your animals way low, you probably never would have seen them if you didn't get high. If you pattern the animals and learn the area you may not need to rely on glass as much in the future.

Scoot

WKR
PJG and 5mile nailed it, IMO. I'd probably take the lighter ones. If you had a 10x option and were in a lot of open, glassable areas, I'd take them. Since you don't, I'd likely take the lighter option. In one area I hunt in MT I'm considering not bothering with any glasses next time- there are so few areas to spend time behind the glass that the weight cost is hardly worth it. I probably won't be able to bring myself to doing that, but I'd like to.

So... lots of open, glassable areas = heavier glass is worth it; timbered, thick areas without lots of openings = lighter optic options area better.

Good luck! My guess is if you take this info and snoop around there with your girls you'll have a better feel for which option will meet your needs.

8 x30?? What are those bird watching glass? Get you some 12 or 15x if you want to hunt out west.

Mike7

WKR
The 8x30s and a tripod will allow you to glass close up through the timber and across canyons while glassing free-hand, but also allow you to find elk out to at least 2 miles off the tripod for more open areas.

If you will be in a place where you can see meadows & clearcuts out several miles away, then the 8x30s or 8x42s aren't going to help you much, whether you're using a tripod or not.

8 x30?? What are those bird watching glass? Get you some 12 or 15x if you want to hunt out west.

I went from 15x56 to 8x32 and don't miss my 15s for big game very often. I won't lie and say I don't ever wish I still had some big binos but more often than not the 8x would be my choice even if I had both sets readily available.

OP

WKR
I should have a better feel after the scouting trip, if we go. I haven't spent much time with the smaller bino's but will have some time to get a feel for the tradeoff.

There are reports of 2 griz and a black bear causing problems in the area recently so I'm not sure it's a great place to take the littles. I'm hoping that they cause enough trouble that G&F removes them.

yeah but how often is a mature bull/buck out in the open during glassing light? NOt very often if at all. You're doing yourself a disservice if you aren't using glass that will give you that extra detail at long ranges to bring those animals out of the cover. I use 10x all the time but when I'm new to an area I like to get up as high as I can, get a big view, and pick it over with the higher power on the tripod. you can't do that effectively with 8 or even 10x. but that's just me...

I would go with the 8x32's. They are your preferred pair. If you don't know this area you would be well served by spending the first day doing more looking than walking/blundering around the area. Also, that larger exit pupil will help you maximize your time there by letting you see at dawn and dusk and looking into shadow better than the 8x30's.