Which Optics should I Use?

No_Murphy

FNG
So I am having an issue deciding on what optics to choose. I have been looking to spend around $500. I have it narrowed down to 3 pairs. Maven C.1, Leupold BX-4 pro guide and Athlon Cronus G2 UHD. I am going on an antelope hunt in October and will be getting the demo pair of mavens to test them out against a lesser pair of binos just to be sure I want a $500 pair of binos. Never had any that are this expensive. Just looking for some advice. Thanks in Advance.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

nobody

WKR
I would vote the Maven's, but change it up and recommend the C.3 10x50 and not the C.1's (larger exit pupil = improved low light performance)

Leupold's eyecups are some of the worst I've ever messed with. Way too wide, and I've never looked through a pair and NOT had vignetting around the edges.

I've not been impressed with the Athlon products I've had experience with, so they wouldn't even be on my list if I was shopping, let alone be in my top 3.

Below $1k, the Maven C series cannot be beat.

OP
N

No_Murphy

FNG
I would vote the Maven's, but change it up and recommend the C.3 10x50 and not the C.1's (larger exit pupil = improved low light performance)

Leupold's eyecups are some of the worst I've ever messed with. Way too wide, and I've never looked through a pair and NOT had vignetting around the edges.

I've not been impressed with the Athlon products I've had experience with, so they wouldn't even be on my list if I was shopping, let alone be in my top 3.

Thanks for the comment. I meant the C.3. Guess I looked at it incorrectly the first time. I’ve always had 10x50 binos, just the very big and clunky ones. I would like to stay with 10x50 unless I could find a much better brand in 10x42 with the same cost.

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the comment. I meant the C.3. Guess I looked at it incorrectly the first time. I’ve always had 10x50 binos, just the very big and clunky ones. I would like to stay with 10x50 unless I could find a much better brand in 10x42 with the same cost.
Even if you go with a "better bino" a 10x50 makes a huge difference in low light performance, all else being equal. 10x50's will always outperform 10x42's of the same product line or product quality. If you're buying a 42mm objective bino, buy the 8x42's. But then again, I don't think 8's have a place in Western hunting, but that's just me and I'm admittedly biased.

Bottom line, if you're buying 8's, buy 8x42's
If you're buying 10's, buy 10x50's

Low light performance matters.

Reactions: PAS

FWIW I got Athlon Cronus UHD for my son and I'm shocked at how good they are when I try then back to back with my NL Pures (both are 10x42). I've had the same reaction from friends who've tried them.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
So I am having an issue deciding on what optics to choose. I have been looking to spend around $500. I have it narrowed down to 3 pairs. Maven C.1, Leupold BX-4 pro guide and Athlon Cronus G2 UHD. I am going on an antelope hunt in October and will be getting the demo pair of mavens to test them out against a lesser pair of binos just to be sure I want a $500 pair of binos. Never had any that are this expensive. Just looking for some advice. Thanks in Advance.
I’ve played with the Maven and owned the BX4 for a while and they’re both great. I thought the BX4 was a little better, but for the price difference would recommend the C1.