Which Powder Dispenser?

STXB245

FNG
So I’ve recently been doing more loading than ever. I’m looking into getting an auto powder dispenser. I want to know yalls thoughts on which one is the best buy.

I can purchase a new Frankford Intellidropper for $120. But I was also looking at the Hornady auto charge with runs close to triple that price. I have heard mixed reviews about the Frankford. Mostly that it works great until it doesn’t but they have great customer service.

I’m sure some of yall have had experience with both. Would the Frankfort be worth the $120 or should I just buy the Hornady? Or any other suggestions on a powder dispenser?

cmahoney

WKR
Are you looking for consistent powder charges with more accuracy and .1 grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
Those reloading company scales suck. I had the Hornady one and it gave me all kinds of problems and inconsistencies. I think it was accurate to about half a grain. I have the V3 auto trucker and an FX120i and it’s been incredibly consistent.

OP
S

STXB245

FNG
Those reloading company scales suck. I had the Hornady one and it gave me all kinds of problems and inconsistencies. I think it was accurate to about half a grain. I have the V3 auto trucker and an FX120i and it’s been incredibly consistent.

I’ve looked at that one and I know it’s basically the gold standard. Just a little out of my price range at the moment. I’ve seen many tests with both of the ones I mentioned that show pretty good consistency. Even tested weighing the charges in a fx120i.

This powder drop is BALLER!!!!!.. I used my buddies and its WILD how accurate and how fast it will drop powder. I was dropping 70g+/- .01g H1000 faster than I could grab a bullet and seat it in the press

TxLite

WKR
Years ago I bought a rcbs chargemaster 1500 for like $300 on sale. Previously was using a triple beam (that was short lived) and then a digital scale (got weird and inconsistent results). To date the chargemaster is the best reloading related purchase I’ve made.

It will do some overthrows every now and then with certain powders but generally it’s been very consistent and reliable. It’s helped me make some very accurate ammo over the last 2,000ish(?) rounds.

You can program the drop speed to make it run a little faster as well. I’d look for a used one on snipershide if I was trying to stay under a couple hundred bucks.

MThuntr

WKR
I'm not sure I'd trust the Frankford Arsenal though lately my 10 year old RCBS chargemaster has been drifting weights. I have tried letting it warm up, removing fluorescent lights, adding ferrite choke to the power, etc and it will still drift. I can't tell if it's drifting a full 0.1 grains but if I notice any variation from zero (my charging pan weighs 95.1grains and will drift up to 95.2) I remeasure the charge. So far that's good enough but it wastes a lot of time if I'm not using 1 in 5 charges. Plus I'd wager I'm not good enough to know if it's charge weight or variation in my reloading methods or if it's my shooting (cue Hornady's Groups are too small).

When I get a $1000 I'm buying the AutoTrickler and the RCBS can collect dust.

I’m using a Harrels precision powder thrower. For a lot of powders I don’t even need to verify weight. Drop it right into the case with h4350, ball powders. Some are a little more finicky and I will check their weights and possibly trickle up a tad.

Seems like the chargemasters are a decent option in the budget realm. But don’t be fooled into thinking the number on the screen is accurate; they will vary by .1gr on either side, sometimes more.

I went down the ultra precise load rabbit hole and came to the conclusion that it’s not worth it and doesn’t matter for what I’m doing. You have to spend a ton of money for a truly accurate scale..and even then I’ve never seen convincing evidence that it really affects accuracy or precision.

dla

WKR
I love how guys will tell you their favorite dispenser drops to within .01 grain! (0ne hundreth of a grain).

All drum type dispensers will give you +/- .1 grain with their favorite powder ( usually a ball powder). None will drop long stick that consistently.

Unless you're an F class competitor, you're not going to notice the variance in powder drops.

So I recommend getting a drum type dispenser (lee,lyman,rcbs,hornady). Weigh a string of 20 drops of you preferred powder and calculate the SD. Note the Extreme spread and factor that in to how close to max charge you go. Get reloading and go shooting.

Have fun!

I love how guys will tell you their favorite dispenser drops to within .01 grain! (0ne hundreth of a grain).

All drum type dispensers will give you +/- .1 grain with their favorite powder ( usually a ball powder). None will drop long stick that consistently.

Unless you're an F class competitor, you're not going to notice the variance in powder drops.

So I recommend getting a drum type dispenser (lee,lyman,rcbs,hornady). Weigh a string of 20 drops of you preferred powder and calculate the SD. Note the Extreme spread and factor that in to how close to max charge you go. Get reloading and go shooting.

Have fun!
Yep. I watched a decent “test” on YouTube. They threw charges with a Harrell, hornady, RCBS, autotrickler, and some other super expensive fancy deal. Tested ES and group size out to 600. Groups were essentially the same between them all…they came to the conclusion that the $XXXX setup was the best because of the precision of charges. I came to the conclusion that the harrells was the best because of the speed of loading and how little the precise charges seemed to matter down range 👍🏻

DaveCB

FNG
I used a Lyman Auto scale for many years It was accurate to within a couple 10ths of a grain with most powders, Ball powders were a little better.
It was getting old and had a couple minor issues. I wanted to get it repaired but Lyman did not want to look at it they said it was out dated.
They Offred me a new Gen5 for $150. "It's accurate to dead on" with most powders and Stick powders . It is temperate sensitive and needs to be in a warm room and may take a couple minutes more than the 3min. recommended to warm up.

Attachments

• 20190825_114130.jpg
    20190825_114130.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210708_153753.jpg
    20210708_153753.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 26

ID_Matt

WKR
I've heard the RCBS black version is pretty good. Anyone have feedback on that one?
It is very good, but plan on manually tuning each powder if it is speed you are after. It is incredibly accurate in match mode. I wanted speed AND accuracy so you can set up profiles for each powder and play with the dispense settings. I have varget and H4350 down to about 16 seconds per throw.

ID_Matt

WKR
Chargemaster lite is hard to beat as far as bang for buck goes. I used 2 simultaneously for match loading but switched to the RCBS matchmaster for a bit more accuracy. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, i would go for the auto trickler.

sndmn11

WKR
I have had the horned one for three years. I may have gotten the cleaning brush stuck in the tube within the hopper and gave it a boo-boo while trying to brush it out and empty the tube at the same time.

Several weeks later it had issues wanting to slow trickle but not actually turning. Hornady sent me a shipping label for inspection and had me a new one within one calendar week from that. I have never checked the accuracy on a beam scale, but my velocities are within my standards and I like how easy it is to adjust how it dispenses.

Axlrod

WKR
I've heard the RCBS black version is pretty good. Anyone have feedback on that one?
The V4 autotrickler is less than $300 more than the RCBS Matcmaster. The RCBS is no match for the V4.

I would go with the RCBS Chargemaster Link for $300 over the Black Matchmaster for $900.

I have a couple of the original chargemasters and a V4 Autotrickler. The Chargemasters work fine and throw pretty consistent powder charges. The V4 is a very accurate and fast machine that is a joy to use.

The V4 autotrickler is less than $300 more than the RCBS Matcmaster. The RCBS is no match for the V4.

I would go with the RCBS Chargemaster Link for $300 over the Black Matchmaster for $900.

I have a couple of the original chargemasters and a V4 Autotrickler. The Chargemasters work fine and throw pretty consistent powder charges. The V4 is a very accurate and fast machine that is a joy to use.

I can get the black RCBS for ~$540.