• 6cm

Votes: 36 67.9%

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 270win

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

kkp005

WKR
Taking my wife to a friends place in S.Tx and trying to figure out which gun to take for whitetail. My wife is a pretty good shot but does tend to get a little nervous when it comes time to shoot an animal. This place we are going is THICk brush / mesquite off of senderos. I’d like to use whatever would give me the best chance at DRT or a short trail if she happens to not make a perfect shot. Below are guns that she shoots well and they all will have suppressors on them.

6creed: shoots 95gr tmk , 95gr NBT and hornady 105gr hpbt great

308: shoots 168gr tmk, 168gr Berger hybrid hunters and 170gr Norma tipstrikes great.

270win: only shoot 140gr NBTs out of it but it stacks them

Estes640

FNG
Classified Approved
6cm for sure. Let my wife get behind mine (12ish lbs suppressed) and she absolutely loved it. Hates my 308 and short 260, but can’t get enough of my 6cm.

I shot a buck and 2 does last year with nothing traveling more than 25 yds. It’ll be my caliber for this season as well. Mainly brush hunt with a few open fields with up to a 300yd shot.

B23

WKR
My stepdaughter is a tiny little thing, 5'3-5'4 maybe 115lbs with rocks in her pockets. Her first rifle was a 6.5 Creed and she short a couple deer and two antelope with it shooting factory 143 ELD-X ammo. Almost two years ago she bought a Tikka ultra light in 270Win and started shooting it with Federal Premium w/140gr Berger's factory ammo and she absolutely fell in love with it. She's shot a few other brands of factory ammo but that Federal Premium stuff loaded with 140 Berger's shoots sooooo good for her you couldn't change her mind to something else to save your life. She shot a deer and cow elk last year with it and just a few days ago smoked a nice Antelope at 200yds with it. I know it doesn't but she swears her 270 Tikka has less felt recoil then her 6.5 Creedmoor did.

Of those listed the 6CM will have the least recoil but I'd go 270Win out of those three and let your wife get to slaying them critters.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
My stepdaughter is a tiny little thing, 5'3-5'4 maybe 115lbs with rocks in her pockets. Her first rifle was a 6.5 Creed and she short a couple deer and two antelope with it shooting factory 143 ELD-X ammo. Almost two years ago she bought a Tikka ultra light in 270Win and started shooting it with Federal Premium w/140gr Berger's factory ammo and she absolutely fell in love with it. She's shot a few other brands of factory ammo but that Federal Premium stuff loaded with 140 Berger's shoots sooooo good for her you couldn't change her mind to something else to save your life. She shot a deer and cow elk last year with it and just a few days ago smoked a nice Antelope at 200yds with it. I know it doesn't but she swears her 270 Tikka has less felt recoil then her 6.5 Creedmoor did.

Of those listed the 6CM will have the least recoil but I'd go 270Win out of those three and let your wife get to slaying them critters.
She has killed a few deer with the 270 back when it had a muzzle brake on it and dang that thing was LOUD. She always shot it with the BOSS brake on it and man it was horribly loud. No that it’s suppressed it’s a pleasure to shoot. Killed the deer in the past with hornady interlocks and win power points..
It shoots the 140 nosler ballistic tips so good that I’d like to try it out on game but have read or seen much on how they perform.
I’ve been impressed with the federal loaded with bergers in 308. Guess I could see how the 140 bergers do in this 270

Taking my wife to a friends place in S.Tx and trying to figure out which gun to take for whitetail. My wife is a pretty good shot but does tend to get a little nervous when it comes time to shoot an animal. This place we are going is THICk brush / mesquite off of senderos. I’d like to use whatever would give me the best chance at DRT or a short trail if she happens to not make a perfect shot. Below are guns that she shoots well and they all will have suppressors on them.

308: shoots 168gr tmk, 168gr Berger hybrid hunters and 170gr Norma tipstrikes great.

Will the shots be taken at distances where "shoots great" matters. The reason that I ask is that for DRT, I like to involve some bone in my shots if I can. That's where the Partition shines. It can break bone and liquefy vitals better than anything I have used. Penetration and fragmentation. My 257 Roberts with a Partition driven at below +P speeds has given me more DRT than anything else. Partitions are rarely the most accurate bullets, but they have always been accurate enough for me at any distance that I wanted to shoot at. I haven't use the 95 grain NBT out of my 6 Creed yet, but my reading tells me that it's a tough bullet. I have a hunch that she'll prefer the 6 Creed.

6 creed with one of those 95s. Should be easy to place shot and either bullet will wreck a whitetail.

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve got one but it has been in the family for years so I don’t want to thread it
I've been wondering how many people are in this same boat. My first rifle is the same. It's a old Winchester .243 and since getting my suppressors, I really have no desire to hunt without them. That's basically relegated the ol .243 to safe queen status. It's a super important gun to me so I struggle with what to do. I'd love for my sons to take a deer with it as well and I'm sure they will.

Honestly seems like a no brainer to me, the 6cm is about as versatile and ideal of a deer cartridge for anyone, and your bullet choices for it seem to complement the cartridge well

I'd say whichever one she shoots the best and has the most confidence in. Shot placement will be the key factor in the end result. Most of all, have a fun hunt and enjoy the time together. Wife will be taking her .270 win on a deer hunt this weekend with me and 3-year-old daughter, going to be a blast.