Which scope

Encore4me

FNG
I apologize for all the questions but I want to make the right decisions. Of these three scopes which one wold be your choice? This is going on a Tikka super light 300 WM. I want to make this my “do everything gun” besides a .22 and shotgun. My son and I are going to Alaska in 2025 for Caribou and planning other hunts after that, MuleDeer, Antelope, Black Bear and Moose.

Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-15x42

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44

Thanks for your patience/feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Either the Nightforce or the Trijicon would work for what you're doing. The Nightforce has a longer proven track record, but the Trijicons are proving to be great optics.

I would remove the Leupold from your list entirely.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I bought a Burris signature posi loc ( excellent quality and optics)
my buddy uses Burris full field II on his 270wsm & 375h&h
lots of good quality scopes when you look around leupold is my favorite

• Haha
Reactions: NSI

S-3 ranch

WKR
I never liked the idea of buying a lightweight rifle in a 300 Win Mag for anything. I would think you'd be a lot more accurate and save your shoulder and pretty much get the same performance and lighter even from a 300 WSM.
He is probably one of those people who uses a muzzle break?
but yeah I agree my m70 Winchester 300wm @9lbs is stout with heavy loads but way better the my savage lite weight

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
I never liked the idea of buying a lightweight rifle in a 300 Win Mag for anything. I would think you'd be a lot more accurate and save your shoulder and pretty much get the same performance and lighter even from a 300 WSM.

I am left handed, the Tikka super lights were on sale. I have shot 300 WM before. I have duck and goose hunted with 3 1/2” 12ga. I have shot 3 1/2” turkey loads and numerous slugs. I have shot many rounds through my 45-70 guide gun. Yeah there is going to be recoil but I am use to it. I wanted something substantial for the possibility of running into larger bears.

hunterjmj

WKR
I am courios as to why you would remove the Leupold VX5?
Leupolds have a bad track record of holding zero. The other two don't. While I have no personal experience with this, I would not buy a leupold based on all the info available.

Luked

WKR
Was jsut courious. I have 3 Lupys and all work perfect and never had an issue.
Buddy has got 50 or more and has had to send 1 in for a zeroing issue.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I am left handed, the Tikka super lights were on sale. I have shot 300 WM before. I have duck and goose hunted with 3 1/2” 12ga. I have shot 3 1/2” turkey loads and numerous slugs. I have shot many rounds through my 45-70 guide gun. Yeah there is going to be recoil but I am use to it. I wanted something substantial for the possibility of running into larger bears.

Crossed in the mail, sorry. Like you I'm used to my 45-70 gg, and don't mind my .338 either. Good luck.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
He is probably one of those people who uses a muzzle break?
but yeah I agree my m70 Winchester 300wm @9lbs is stout with heavy loads but way better the my savage lite weight
And I shoot big stuff all the time, I am NOT shy of recoil, The .404 is my go-to, shot.470 Nitros a lot, .416 Rigby, .500 Nitro, shot a .505 Gibbs and a .458 Win Mag. However I cannot stand a light weight .300 Win Mag, some of the Weatherby rounds or any RUM. I know for a fact it affects my accuracy. However I must say the .300 Win is a killer all day of course.

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
The Super Lights are only about 4oz lighter than the lights. With a heavy scope steel rings and possibly getting a Bell and Carlson stock I can have it up to mid 8#. The Super Lights were on sale and I like the looks of the fluted barrel. Everyone is questioning my rifle purchase and not answering my scope question.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Super Lights are only about 4oz lighter than the lights. With a heavy scope steel rings and possibly getting a Bell and Carlson stock I can have it up to mid 8#. The Super Lights were on sale and I like the looks of the fluted barrel. Everyone is questioning my rifle purchase and not answering my scope question.

Sorry you are right. I have had all 3, the NF is nothing special but it's been on and worked great for many years, never once had to re-zero it. Enjoyed it as a solid work horse for years.

Last edited:

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider

Yep, apologies.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Leupold scopes are more prone to not holding zero, not dialing precisely and not returning to zero.

The information is in the scope testing link posted. Highly recommend reading through the sticky. The answers are there.

There is also abundant information on choosing bullets that create the desired wound channels at the distances desired and how to improve hit rates, the advantages to FFP scopes in mils, useable reticles, robust rings, how to mount a scope correctly, how to zero, how to trajectory validate, how to do field expedient dope calculations, how to shoot wind brackets and suggestions on how to properly practice.

Lots to learn here on the ol’Rokslide if you’re willing to have an open mind, do a lot of reading and ask questions.