Which scope

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
Any particular NF?

I don’t want something to big or too expensive. I was thinking about the SHV 3-10x42. I will not be taking very long shots. The furthest might be at a Caribou when we go to Alaska. Can’t imagine shooting past 300 many times if any. I want something that will be no maintenance/worries and be good for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t want something to big or too expensive. I was thinking about the SHV 3-10x42. I will not be taking very long shots. The furthest might be at a Caribou when we go to Alaska. Can’t imagine shooting past 300 many times if any. I want something that will be no maintenance/worries and be good for everything.

I think the shv 3-10-42 is probably the best option and you would be very happy with it given your situation and criteria.
Definitely check the classifieds section. There's usually one for a good price, if not keep checking and one will likely popup.

Good luck on your hunts!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The night force out of those scopes if you can get used to the reticles for hunting. I could not and sold mine and bought another SWFA 3-9 Mil Mil.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
The night force out of those scopes if you can get used to the reticles for hunting. I could not and sold mine and bought another SWFA 3-9 Mil Mil.
That's what I was wondering about. I don't think I could, either. Seems they only make the 4A for Europe, but I could work with the FP. I admit I'm pretty much a dinosaur, though. For the field, I am almost positive I couldn't hang with the others.

(Edit - deleted redundant post. I'd misread's Encore's post).

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
9f610a4fab2bdede2b12c94b273fe0a2.png

This is the reticle I want to get

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have that nightforce SHV 3-10 with a forceplex on my tikka 30-06. No problem shooting out to 300 with that setup, hold on the back hair and let it rip.

rootacres

WKR
I apologize for all the questions but I want to make the right decisions. Of these three scopes which one wold be your choice? This is going on a Tikka super light 300 WM. I want to make this my “do everything gun” besides a .22 and shotgun. My son and I are going to Alaska in 2025 for Caribou and planning other hunts after that, MuleDeer, Antelope, Black Bear and Moose.

Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-15x42

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44

Thanks for your patience/feedback.

Of those three I would place them like this. ** I do own all 3 of them (brands).

1. Nightforce
2. Trijicon
3. Leupold

For your applications the Nightforce is the best option. You may want to consider more than 10x, just for a little more precision in practice, but 10x would be fine for most hunting. The Trijicon is a good option, the accupoint just doesn't have that fine of an aiming reference. I use my accupoint on my MI deer gun where shots are likely to be pretty short. The Leupold has just historically lacked in the durability department for a do all rifle. I have had good luck with my Mark 5s thus far though.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the NF scope. Track record and reliability is proven more than the other two options. The reason your rifle is questioned is because of the recoil. That energy is going two places. Your shoulder and your scope. You’re going to want an optic that can handle the energy a super light .300WM expels when it goes off.

rclouse79

WKR
Was jsut courious. I have 3 Lupys and all work perfect and never had an issue.
Buddy has got 50 or more and has had to send 1 in for a zeroing issue.
I am no expert, but I have often wondered about the percentage of scopes that actually fail from brands that are considered unreliable. Reading some posts you get the feeling every or every other scope from brand xxx is going to take a dump on you, which I doubt is true. It only takes a few loud disgruntled customers on the internet to make a big stink.
I am second guessing my decision to go with an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16. It has been great so far, but some reviews make me feel like it is a ticking time bomb. In hind sight I wish I would have waited for an SWFA to get in stock. If they have any bad reviews in terms of reliability I have had a hard time finding them.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider

That tells.me that you need a 6x SWFA and to spend the rest of your $$$ on either ammo or reloading gear.
Should be a fantastic combo!

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
9f610a4fab2bdede2b12c94b273fe0a2.png

This is the reticle I want to get

I own a Kimber that is sub 6# in 3006 and for reasons unknown me it only likes to shoot bullets at 180 grains or above.
So recoil is stout to say the least!
But it shouldn't be scope-damaging recoil by any means.
I'm 0-2 for Leupold and 0-1 for Vortex both in regards to holding zero.

I've used the exact same 2.5-8x Leupold scope on my 12 ga shotgun with 1 oz slugs and heavy turkey loads.with out issue.

So I don't think it's raw recoil in a straight line that is the issue.

We have long held that the reason V and L scopes lose zero is because they are only rewarded for "proofing" their products against straight line recoil by the market.

But every firearm/optic must be able to resist vibration and shock in 4 axis's not just one.
Which they can do in the front to rear tests on optics but does nothing to "proof" optics against the forces.of.physics when riding in a quads' gun rack-type set-up

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I am no expert, but I have often wondered about the percentage of scopes that actually fail from brands that are considered unreliable. Reading some posts you get the feeling every or every other scope from brand xxx is going to take a dump on you, which I doubt is true. It only takes a few loud disgruntled customers on the internet to make a big stink.
I am second guessing my decision to go with an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16. It has been great so far, but some reviews make me feel like it is a ticking time bomb. In hind sight I wish I would have waited for an SWFA to get in stock. If they have any bad reviews in terms of reliability I have had a hard time finding them.
I was always happy with Leupold. I've killed a lot of critters with them and Nikon. I did have a Lepold VX-II that shifted zero when I had it strapped on the front of a 4 wheeler on a bouncy trail. I just figured that's what scopes do, so I re-zeroed and always sling it on my back now.

I currently have a Leupold VX Freedon with CDS. I have dialed for 400 yards and had 1 shot kills with that set up. This year, when I was checking zero after adjusting my setup, I needed to adjust up 2" and right 2". After adjusting, I was scratching my head when the first shot was still 1" low and left. The next 2 shots however were in the bullseye. It just took 1 shot to "settle in". This is with a CDS custom turret scope mind you. I hope that never happens when I dial to shoot, but... who knows.

I was happy with my Nikon BDC bubbles, but when decided to try dialing for the first time the tracking was WAY off. I sent it in and Nikon just reimbursed me for the scope with credit to their store. (Went towards new binoculars instead).

All this to say that being happy with a product most of the time works for some things, but my last and next scope purchase will be Trijicon Credo HX to save me some peace of mind and ammo from checking and re-establishing my zero.

Upgrade a bit from the SHV and buy the NF NXS 2.5-10x42. Great all around scope and lightweight. Can't go wrong.

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
That tells.me that you need a 6x SWFA and to spend the rest of your $$$ on either ammo or reloading gear.
Should be a fantastic combo!
Upgrade a bit from the SHV and buy the NF NXS 2.5-10x42. Great all around scope and lightweight. Can't go wrong.
I’m sure that this scope has been purchased but I had both the Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 and the Swfa 3-15x42 at a fraction of the cost, that Swfa has been a tank and tracks perfect.. when it came time to shed one of my lower power scopes, I chose to unload the Nightforce simply because I felt I could get a higher trade value…. Not because I was unhappy with it. The only hang up I had was the NF was illuminated but I don’t think I’ve ever actually had to use an illuminated reticle in a hunting situation.
I have had no bad experience with any of the scope manufactures you’ve mentioned.
Several NF’s zero issues
Couple triji’s no issues
Leupold .. sounds weird but no issues with craftsmanship but things I’ve done that I had to contact their customer service and hands down they have the best CS I’ve ever experienced.
Issue #1
I use their STD base and rings everywhere I can. Best mounting system “if used properly” I’m my opinion. I over torqued windage screw and bent it. Didn’t realize until I went to swap scope out years later. Held zero fine..Called to see if I could buy another without buying entire base. Took my name and address and said it’ll be there tomorrow.. don’t you need my card number? No sir we don’t make money helping customers.
Fast forward 10years ..Out shooting AR10 had Leupold mark ar scope on it with tall turrets and dust covers. Left turret covers setting on top of my tool box when I drove off. Called to buy them
Got my name number, they asked if my address was still xxx I say no that’s me but I moved got them new address. He says are these needed asap I say no, he asks if ground is ok, I say yes, he say they will be there in (4) days, I say you need my card, he says no sir, I say this was 100% my stupidity and I’m happy to pay for them as I’m happy to be able to get them… I’ll never forget this quote.. “we make money selling quality scopes, not dust covers”
Though ive drifted away from using their glass 100% as my eyes are getting old and I kinda fell for a line not mentioned, I still have a couple of their scopes that I run and have multiple rifles running their std base and rings…