Which size Exo K4

snipe10

FNG
Going to AK next September for moose. Going with an outfitter and we'll fly into our drop camp but still be hiking around. Wondering which size Exo to get, 5000 or 7200. The 7200 isn't any taller just a half inch deeper which gives it more volume, right? Anyone go with the 7200 and wish they went 5000 or vice versa?
thanks,

I use 3000ish size packs and currently have the 3600. Day hunts, multi day hunts, packing heavy clothing into stand hunts. I haven't ever wished i had more room and I haven't needed to extend the collar unless i was packing for more than a few days away from base camp in very cold weather.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like the smaller one is the better choice for you. I use my 3600 most. I have a 7200 for long trips (more than 10 days of food is hard to fit in the 3600) or if I'm a pack mule for my family.

rclouse79

WKR
I love my 7200. I hunted with it cinched up as a day pack during archery season and it was great. Maybe I just stink at packing, but I like the extra space for multi-day trips. The weight difference is negligible in my opinion.

7200 is my vote. I took a Kuiu 7800 on my drop camp Alaskan moose hunt. I only had to unload one bag getting out and into the super cub, my backpack. Got to camp, dump the pack, reorganized and repacked. Cinched her down nice and snug and off we went each day. Felt like a 3000 size bag on my bag. It’s simply convenient.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the 7200 as well and used it cinched down for day hunts and never wished I had a smaller bag. If I was doing only day hunts all the time I’d probably get the 2200 bag as well but the 7200 is just fine.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I obsessed over this but between 3600 and 5000 and got the 3600 and its way bigger than I expected, so I'd say in your case try the 5000.

Also, I put about 40 miles on my frame with a 40 lb pack of rocks for training and ended up swapping for the taller frame, which they generously worked with me on instead of saying tough nuts, so within reason it seems like you won't be "stuck" with your choice if you aren't happy with the decision. It was their idea to swap, I figured I'd just be picking up a second one and have some useless parts in my closet. Thanks, Exo!

I obsessed over this but between 3600 and 5000 and got the 3600 and its way bigger than I expected, so I'd say in your case try the 5000.

Also, I put about 40 miles on my frame with a 40 lb pack of rocks for training and ended up swapping for the taller frame, which they generously worked with me on instead of saying tough nuts, so within reason it seems like you won't be "stuck" with your choice if you aren't happy with the decision. It was their idea to swap, I figured I'd just be picking up a second one and have some useless parts in my closet. Thanks, Exo!
What size frame did you go with and how tall are you?

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'6".

I started with the 23.5" frame and stays based on the choosing guides and content posted online.

I put about 40 miles on that setup with 45 lbs, 2-3 miles a night.

It was OK, but I was futzing around with the strap height a few times and not hitting a sweet spot and when I switched to the 25" frame and stays it was like flipping a light switch. An "ahhhhh" feeling.

Going to AK next September for moose. Going with an outfitter and we'll fly into our drop camp but still be hiking around. Wondering which size Exo to get, 5000 or 7200. The 7200 isn't any taller just a half inch deeper which gives it more volume, right? Anyone go with the 7200 and wish they went 5000 or vice versa?
thanks,
Actually the 7200 is 3.5" deeper which makes it deeper than it is wide. Thats a lot of pack pulling you back especially if you have a bow strapped to the back.