Which slate call should I get?

I've killed a bunch of turkeys with mouth reeds but never a slate call. So to keep it simple, which slate call should I get? Is there one everyone recommends or is it pretty much anything that sounds like a turkey will work? I've found no real difference in success with different brand mouth reeds.

If you are having success with reeds why get a slate call? I use them because I suck at turkey sounds with reeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since i started turkey hunting at a very young age. I learned how tonuse a slate call fist. I have a hole drawer full of differnt slate calls. I personally like custom made one best. Or the lesser known companies. Are the calls going to be more expensive..yes! However they just so much better. I would stay away from any of the name brand stuff. Primos , h.s, will they work sure.... but i also dont carry slate calls anymore. I grab a couple reads i like and use those only.

xcutter

WKR
I'm a big fan of Cane Creek Calls out of Kentucky. Best sounding friction calls made in my opinion. I have there Glass and Slate. I prefer the slate.

Austink47

WKR
No way are a bunch of turkey hunters going to agree on what the best slate call is. I would encourage you to incorporate a slate into your calling. I primarily use diaphragms but it is nice to mix in a slate, I have had a lot of luck using both at the same time to imitate a flock of hens when things are slow and I am just set up cold calling. For what it is worth I always go back to a primos ol’ glory with custom ash striker.

OP
MuleDeerMike
If you are having success with reeds why get a slate call? I use them because I suck at turkey sounds with reeds.

Just wanna change it up and try something new this Spring. It also seems like the slate calls are louder and can carry farther than mouth reeds, which is important here in the PNW.

I’ve had good luck with JT Calls, he has a ceramic call that works when wet. Killed a few birds over it these past couple of years. Promos Jackpot is also surprisingly good for the money

Afhunter1

WKR
Being in the PNW I’d highly recommend that you watch the YouTube videos on the enticer silver thunder extreme. Great call to pierce dense woods and call in a monsoon. I always have a Cody world class slate in my vest but if clouds start to roll in it stays in the truck. If you want a good slate/wood call then I’d recommend you get the Cody woodsman series. Good Luck!

RyanCmns

WKR
I've killed alot of birds with lights out calls

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have several, but my favorite are an aluminum Ghostmaker and an aluminum Houndstooth. And both guys have awesome customer service!

To start I’d decide what kind of call surface you want. I think when your saying slate you real mean pot. You can get pot calls with grey, green, or red slate, crystal, glass, ceramic, aluminum, and probably more. Each surface has a strength but slates sound good and are easy to run, glass is good for if it’s windy or you just need more volume. Their are a lot of great call makers you can buy pot calls from for 50-75$ each. I would also recommend to get on old gobbler. They have a lot of stuff in their pot call classifieds section. Also contact JLH (Jeff Harrison) and get a couple strikers from him. While your over there look up Buster Halford (Gobbler2577) and order a pot from him!

bradb

WKR
Mine are mostly all from Kaiser Kalls.

I carry a LOT of call s and stuff in my vest. My buddy laughs at me saying all you ever use is one mouth call and flip it over for a different pitch and tone.
I do use a few other calls besides mouth calls once in a while. Yes usually a long while. Probably 99% mouth calls and yes I do like to flip it over in my mouth and call with both sides as a easy way to change sounds

Anything David holleran makes. I also like Houndstooth’s calls. Lyle can also make a great call.