Which Spot Hogg sight should I buy?

Listening to podcasts and hearing other guys talk, I have narrowed my bow sight down to wanting a Spot Hogg. However, not sure which model I should go with. I will be putting it on a Mathews Halon. My hunting tends to be hike in or backpack in, mountain black tail here in California. Similar style elk hunting is on the horizon. With my current bow I feel confident shooting out to 50 yards, and would hope to be able to extend that to 60 or more if I get a sight/bow package I love.

I am torn between going with a fixed sight with 5 pins like I am used to, or taking a leap and going with an an adjustable with two pins.

What are the pros and cons of the adjustable sights? Which model of the adjustable sights are recommended? Tommy Hogg or Hogg Father?

I have a spot Hogg hunter 5 pin and a fast Eddie xl double pin and I love them both 2 years ago I had the fast Eddie on my halon and hunted with it I dialed everyshot and didn’t need the 2nd pin this year I used the 5 pin and didn’t have any issues there either I like the fast Eddie to shoot linger yardage all summer but I felt like my halon might have held steadier with the hunter ? Might just be all in my head but I like both will probably hunt with the fast Eddie next year tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
I see it like this:

Fixed pins pros/cons
No need to adjust sight
No need to figure out a sight tape
Quicker/easier to use when animals are moving
Limited distance
Sight picture clutter

Double pin slider pros/cons
Clear sight picture (better accuracy)
Shoot exact yardages (no need for pin gap shots)
Forces you to learn more about your arrow trajectory (knowledge is power;)
Need to move slider for shots beyond set pins
More moving parts than a fixed pin

Of course there are more pros/cons, but that’s a start.

Also, dovetail or not?

It’s all preference. I am switching to the Hogg Father double pin. I’ve shot 5 pin fixed and 3 pin slider previously.

Gumbo

WKR
Whatever you choose, I'd strongly recommend a 5-pin+ housing for hunting. I currently shoot 6 pins (fixed and moveable) because I limit my hunting shots to 70 yards and have the top of my bubble set to 80 yards. At reasonable speeds (280ish) I can gap shoot to 70 effectively with no sight movement required. Also, get your pins custom from SH. I'd recommend 0.019 top 3 and 0.010 from there down (I find 0.010 to be to dim at last light and 0.019 to be too big past 40) and go GGYGG so it is easy to determine which pin is which at crunch time (my 6th pin is red). Plus, if you set it up with your rover low in the housing you can shoot farther than with a single or double pin (and less housing movement) if you decide to go with a moveable sight. Personally, if it was for hunting only I'd go with a Hunter or Hogg-It (but again I prefer the big housing with 6 pins). I currently have a Hunter and a MBG Ascent Verdict (I'm not a big fan of the SH moveable sights), both 6 pins, but tried the Tommy Hogg breifly.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a fast Eddie with the double up pin and the tommy Hogg with a five pin. I think it largely depends on the style and time of hunting. I think the up pin is awesome for clean sight picture and long range but I didn’t care for it when spot and stalking hunting for rutting mule deer. When animals are chasing I like the the versatility of a multi pin head. I would probably change to a seven if I wanted another. The up pin would be awesome if I was stalking mainly stationary/bedded animals. Either way I like the movers because I can practice at long ranges. Practicing at 70-100yards really increases my confidence at 60 and in

Tradchef

WKR
When I shot compound I used a 3 and 5 pin hunter for years. Then when the tommy came out i used one of those in single pin. They are awesome sights, great warranty and bombproof. If I ever hunt with a compound again I think I’d go with a tommy again and get the stacked pins to try. Good luck in your decision

Chedster

FNG
Fast Eddie double pin is the last sight I’ll ever buy. I like the fact that I can dial in exact yardages on longer shots and when treestand hunting still have the ability to shoot out to 40 with out dialing. When my top pin is at 20 my second pin is at 35. So I hold a little high for a 40 yard shot.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Previously have used the fast eddie double pin, bought a triple stack and am really liking it so far.

Marble

WKR
I shoot the fast Eddie with a 2 pin starting next month for competition. Keep it through turkey season and swap to 5 pin for deer.

All i do is swap housing, tapes, confirm 3rd axis and go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I recently tried a Spot Hogg for the first time. It was the triple stack on the Fast Eddie frame. I didn’t care for it and sent it back.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
father single pin and went to the fast daddy XL double pin the last 2 seasons to shave some wt. I like to use the same setup year around and being able to practice out past 100 yards.

this past season I did have my fast Eddie XL jam up multiple times, requiring me to clean out the gears and slide track.

5 pin hogg it is bomb proof as someone mentioned. I have 2 of them and hunted HARD with them many many years and they are so tough and never move.

I shot 3d with the hog father... its kinda heavy. The Tommy hogg looks promising but I haven't tried it. If you want a quick shot and don't want to think about anything, buy the hoggit. If you want to reach out beyond 60 yards or so then get the movable pins.

Rrush

FNG
Hogg Father Double on my bow. Only thing it's missing is an easy way to swap tapes for different arrows.

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the fast Eddie xl 3pin and I love it. 20,30, and the 40 is the slider. All whitetail but hasn’t let me own yet. Shooting around 265fps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk