Which to choose? 15x binos or spotter?

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone I am torn which to chose when it comes to glass, I’ve researched a bunch and still can’t decide with all the information out there. Current setup is zeiss conquest HD 10x42s with a aziak tripod and tricer head. I like all of those but I have a pretty big trip coming up soon where I’ll be glassing lots and don’t know if a spotter is the right choice or 15x binos. I have never used a spotter before or more than 10x binos. Weight is important to me because it will be a lot of hiking. Let me know your thoughts on which to chose and brands.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you thinking of the 15 or spotter for identification or glassing? It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Wapiti151

WKR
I have the Maven 18x56 binos and absolutely love them. Would highly recommend these if you are in a “this or that” situation between big eyes and spotter. They are a joy to glass through for hours, and with a phone adapter and added phone zoom, you essentially have a lower mag spotter. But, you won’t be fitting them in a chest pack. I run smaller binos on chest and have these in the pack.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spotting game is always more important, and it is far easier to spend the day behind binoculars. It gets really old trying to close one eye and look through a spotter, unless you are a pirate. If you get a spotter, plan on getting something like a patch so you don't have to close both eyes.

Besides, that our brains "see" better with both eyes because it combines two images for resolution.

Most situations call for binos over a spotter. But, it is going to depend on how you hunt and what you hunt.

If you listen closely to what people that use spotters say, their use is fairly particular and specialized, IMO. Whereas, those with the 15x binos are generalists, so to speak.

I run the 18x Razor UHD and they are satisfactory.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Maven 18x56 binos and absolutely love them. Would highly recommend these if you are in a “this or that” situation between big eyes and spotter. They are a joy to glass through for hours, and with a phone adapter and added phone zoom, you essentially have a lower mag spotter. But, you won’t be fitting them in a chest pack. I run smaller binos on chest and have these in the pack.
Same here. I run 10x rangefinding binos on my chest and the 18x off a tripod from my pack. I think that is what the greatest proportion of hunters use if glassing is part of the hunt.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
15x is for finding game, spotter is for evaluating. If you aren’t worried about trophy size go with 15x, also could be terrain/species dependent.
Yeah it will be steep open country for mouflon sheep. I’m not to to concerned about trophy size as they are super rare where I’m at

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Spotting game is always more important, and it is far easier to spend the day behind binoculars. It gets really old trying to close one eye and look through a spotter, unless you are a pirate. If you get a spotter, plan on getting something like a patch so you don't have to close both eyes.

Besides, that our brains "see" better with both eyes because it combines two images for resolution.

Most situations call for binos over a spotter. But, it is going to depend on how you hunt and what you hunt.

If you listen closely to what people that use spotters say, their use is fairly particular and specialized, IMO. Whereas, those with the 15x binos are generalists, so to speak.

I run the 18x Razor UHD and they are satisfactory.
Perfect that’s a good idea and kinda what I’ve heard from a bunch of people. Appreciate the help

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah it will be steep open country for mouflon sheep. I’m not to to concerned about trophy size as they are super rare where I’m at
If weight is a concern, some guys I know run one pair of really high end, like EL or NL Pures in 12X on their chest and off a tripod. That is is for most hunts, but they may add a small 55-65 objective spotter.

If Swaro made a 12x42 NL Pure rangefinder, I would sell all my glass and liquidate rifles until I had enough to buy one. I am often tempted by the 10x EL rangefinder, but the bang for the buck isn't there over what I already have. Maybe one day I'll sell some things just to upgrade, but I'm not there yet.

For the ultimate one-optic solution, the 12X Swaro would be my pick. If you wanted two optics, I'd go 8X (handheld, closer ranges) and 15X on a tripod. That combo is tough to beat.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
So the next question is what 15x. I know everyone is going to say SLC but I want to hear what others have to say about different brands

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Really like my Bushnell 15X56 binocs. Use them at the range to spot .223 bullet splatters at 500 yards.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Both have their place. I prefer 15’s to a spotter the majority of the time. I’m after mature animals and not as concerned about trophy quality. I can glass with 15’s all day, spotter not so much even with eye patch/etc. I have Meopta 15x56. Very close to swaro SLC in image quality