Which Western States to hunt in?

Roksliders,

Having hunted in Nevada for the past 4 years, and having suffered a tag less run this season, I would like to branch out to some other states. Which other states would you recommend for hunting as a non-resident? I am eyeing Arizona since my mom lives there, but wanted keep an open mind on this. I am a bow hunter mostly but have no issues bringing a rifle. Mostly concentrating on Elk, Antelope and Deer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Fitzwho

WKR
Geographically for you in Reno. California deer would be the most logical choice. Then Idaho, Arizona, Utah, and Oregon.

1. Idaho has great opportunity and a lot of tags that are basically over the counter.
2. Arizona makes a lot of sense as an archer, especially for deer (OTC Deer tag purchased in January is also good for seasons in August and December the same year).
3. Utah has some decent opportunity for their general deer tags and antlerless game, not for much else.
4. Oregon (and Washington) for OTC hunting for blacktails and Roosevelt Elk. I wouldn't/don't apply for anything in Washington, only OTC tags.

After that you could still be in Wyoming, Montana, and western Colorado with an 800 mile drive.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii. No california because almost everything is illegal. you might just break some law and spend a night in a precinct cell.

zacattack

WKR
Roksliders,

Having hunted in Nevada for the past 4 years, and having suffered a tag less run this season, I would like to branch out to some other states. Which other states would you recommend for hunting as a non-resident? I am eyeing Arizona since my mom lives there, but wanted keep an open mind on this. I am a bow hunter mostly but have no issues bringing a rifle. Mostly concentrating on Elk, Antelope and Deer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I went to Wyoming for pronghorn this year for my first western hunt and it was fairly easy to draw, laws don’t seem too bad and I saw a ton of animals.

CorbLand

WKR
Utah would be a long shot but its pretty cheap to apply for as a non resident. Opportunity is pretty low but for less than 100 year you would have a chance.

Colorado has great opportunity for archery elk and you could start applying for deer there.

Wyoming is pretty cheap to gain points in for elk and deer and has decent draw odds for some units.

AZ is an option for elk and deer. Depending on what you are after and weapon of choice, you can hunt fairly regularly. If you are going after anything special, then you have to be patient. Can take decades to get drawn for the top-tier hunts. Don't both with pronghorn in AZ; you may wait a lifetime and never get drawn.

I’d do antelope in WY. Deer in AZ and CO. Elk in most any western state that has opportunity, best being ones that limit pressure like WY or MT.

rob86jeep

WKR
Depends on what your plan/goal is. If you want to save points/have a chance at a trophy unit or just hunt every year. AZ has OTC cues/mule deer for lot of units (archery) and CO has OTC elk for archery and second rifle. Those would be my top two picks to hunt every year or as a backup if you don't draw what you want. You could start playing the points game in any state but it might take a while. Might as well put if for the NM draw as there are no points, it's all random every year. The big difference is in NM you have a chance at drawing a trophy unit the first year (which is cool), but in points states you can better plan/manage your hunting. Just depends on what you want.