White vs Knight

Pike40

FNG
I have a black diamond XR that has served me well, thinking of picking up a second muzzleloader. Several options interest me but for starters I would be curious on what folks think about the White Bison in the colorado package. Basically the bison with a lyman peep sight. For the same price I could get a knight mountaineer in .45 1:20 twist which is tugging at me a bit. The .45 looks really interesting but not sure I could get all out of it as I am limited to open sights here in Washington. Finally, does not feel like a bad choice to just pick up the disk extreme in 50 caliber, looks like a very good choice for pretty cheap.

What opinions does the group have on these choices?

Pike

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 50 cal disc extreme and my dad has the Knight Mountaineer and Long Range Hunter, both in 50 cal. We've shot them for years and they're capable of nearly 1 moa accuracy (scoped) at 100 yds. We use BH209 and Barnes TMZ or TEZ bullets. Have never had problems if we do our part.

I would suggest to you, in Washington with the current regulations the fast twist Mountaineer 45 could be an outstanding rifle. Possibly the Ultra Lite 45 being the better choice for many.

The DISC Extreme 50 cal. would also serve you very well. The DISC Extreme in 45 would not be the better option because of the slower twist rate.

I have a knight Disc Extreme in .50 that is really nice and shoots very well with full bore conceals. (460 grn no excuse with felt pad and 75 grns BH209). It will hold 3 inch group with a Williams peep sight and is actually pretty mild

However, I just purchased a new Knight Ultra-Lite in a .45 caliber with the Nitride finish. I am going through the process of load development now and will do a thread about the progress. The Ultra-Lite with Leupold VX 5HD 2-10-42 scope and small bipod weighs 8.5 lbs total.

I plan on completing a shooting string with the following:

Parker 300 grn Ballistic Extreme
Arowhead LR in 275 and 300
Arrowhead XLD in 275 and 300

I am going to shoot all rounds over a chrono and will be using BH209

Not sure if that helps other than to say I love my Disc Extreme. I will have two muzzleloader setups. My son has a CO muzzle elk tag this year and he is shooting the Disc Extreme. I have a NM muzzle elk hunt and am setting up the .45 Ultra-lite for that hunt and the other states that allow scope .45 caliber muzzleloader.

OP
P

Pike40

FNG
I would suggest to you, in Washington with the current regulations the fast twist Mountaineer 45 could be an outstanding rifle. Possibly the Ultra Lite 45 being the better choice for many.

The DISC Extreme 50 cal. would also serve you very well. The DISC Extreme in 45 would not be the better option because of the slower twist rate.
Thanks Sabotloader, I am leaning .45 mountaineer but no doubt the DISC Extreme at the price they are asking is also hard to not grab. I like the idea of .45 and am currently looking through bullet options to get some ideas and see how many options are available. I have not looked at much other than a .50 for years so this is new territory for me.

Thanks for the reply,

OP
P

Pike40

FNG
I have a knight Disc Extreme in .50 that is really nice and shoots very well with full bore conceals. (460 grn no excuse with felt pad and 75 grns BH209). It will hold 3 inch group with a Williams peep sight and is actually pretty mild

However, I just purchased a new Knight Ultra-Lite in a .45 caliber with the Nitride finish. I am going through the process of load development now and will do a thread about the progress. The Ultra-Lite with Leupold VX 5HD 2-10-42 scope and small bipod weighs 8.5 lbs total.

I plan on completing a shooting string with the following:

Parker 300 grn Ballistic Extreme
Arowhead LR in 275 and 300
Arrowhead XLD in 275 and 300

I am going to shoot all rounds over a chrono and will be using BH209

Not sure if that helps other than to say I love my Disc Extreme. I will have two muzzleloader setups. My son has a CO muzzle elk tag this year and he is shooting the Disc Extreme. I have a NM muzzle elk hunt and am setting up the .45 Ultra-lite for that hunt and the other states that allow scope .45 caliber muzzleloader.

OP
P

Pike40

FNG
Thanks for the post, it is actually helpful, have not ran into many folks who did not like the DISC Extreme, I especially appreciate you sharing what you are contemplating for loads on the .45. I am also contemplating Sabotloaders reference to the UL, I need to look at that a bit more, I see you went that route as well, anything you can share on that decision would be appreciated.

I talked with people at Knight via email. I really liked many aspects of the Mountaineer but ultimately the weight was the deciding factor for me. For my style of hunting, the Mountaineer was just a little too heavy. I usually end up with 10 plus miles a day while elk hunting. Also, as an added bonus…I can buy a Mountaineer barrel and action for around $350 from Knight.. If my style of hunting ever changes (I get too old or tired to chase elk) or I get a wild hair, I can add a western style .45 Mountaineer barrel for cheap. If you start with a Mountaineer there is not an option to go that route with a Ultra-Lite barrel.

OP
P

Pike40

FNG
I talked with people at Knight via email. I really liked many aspects of the Mountaineer but ultimately the weight was the deciding factor for me. For my style of hunting, the Mountaineer was just a little too heavy. I usually end up with 10 plus miles a day while elk hunting. Also, as an added bonus…I can buy a Mountaineer barrel and action for around $350 from Knight.. If my style of hunting ever changes (I get too old or tired to chase elk) or I get a wild hair, I can add a western style .45 Mountaineer barrel for cheap. If you start with a Mountaineer there is not an option to go that route with a Ultra-Lite barrel.
After looking at the weights I see why you all are asking me to consider the UL. Both the Mountaineer and DISC are well over 8 pounds in the configuration I am looking at. I am still leaning .45 mountaineer but I am going to do a bit more research, maybe call and talk with Knight about stock options.

Pike

It’s too bad Knight doesn’t sell the ultralight stock separately. We put my UL stock on my buddy’s Disk Extreme and it made a huge difference.