Whitetail Arrow Weight

What ddowning said. Whitetail aren’t incredibly difficult animals to kill in terms of getting one to die. Back 30 years ago we killed them with much slower and less efficient setups. The arrows may have been heavier at the time but for a period when we transitioned to internal component arrows we had slow bows with light arrows and lots of animals died. Not to discredit the need to kinetic energy, but unless it’s a short draw or light draw weight most setups will kill a whitetail. If there is a penetration problem I would focus on accuracy and shot placement over other things. With “spiraling” issues it sounds more like a matter of tuning than anything. Especially with broad heads being brought into the equation. I’d focus on a good tune and practicing with broadheads. When done right they’ll fly with field points but they’ll also expose form and tune issues much quicker than field points. As a last thought, if you feel good comfortably shooting at 40 or some other distance I’d cut that by 50% and make that the new comfortable distance when in a tree. A lot goes on that gets unnoticed in our form when hunting and what pays the price is usually an animal. Not trying ti be poetic or arrogant but from a lot of years of trial and error and many long tracks picking your shot is likely the best piece of advice that someone can give when it comes to bow hunting. Focus on getting close rather than shooting long.

Good luck with it this season.

RowdyAF

FNG
I’m shooting a prime CT3 at 28.5” draw and 60#. My arrow is a black Eagle outlaw, 100 gr insert, 150 gr crimson talon croc with TAW around 540. I built it this way to be a one and done arrow setup good for elk and deer. No idea on speed, but they’re grouping just fine. Bare shafts we’re touching after nock tuning.

Attachments

• 71520211424__9CABDAF3-A9A6-43A1-AB63-0B4E3BBD040B.jpeg
    71520211424__9CABDAF3-A9A6-43A1-AB63-0B4E3BBD040B.jpeg
    745.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 71520213181__B4DD8E65-F46D-40D3-837A-76BDFA0E6B15.jpeg
    71520213181__B4DD8E65-F46D-40D3-837A-76BDFA0E6B15.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 15

Jpr778

FNG
This year I built some Easton 5mm axis arrows. 300 spine 29 inches carbon to carbon. 100 grain safari brass insert, 100 grain head. Believe I’m around 545 total arrow weight. I’ve never had arrow flight as good as I have with these super heavy and high FOC arrows. Doesn’t matter what arrow weight you have if you can’t hit where you need to. Your arrow will be more lethal than mine with a better placed shot. Whatever you use, tune your bow to them, and practice a ton. Just my 2 cents.

What ddowning said. Whitetail aren’t incredibly difficult animals to kill in terms of getting one to die. Back 30 years ago we killed them with much slower and less efficient setups. The arrows may have been heavier at the time but for a period when we transitioned to internal component arrows we had slow bows with light arrows and lots of animals died.

This.. However I will contend that my arrows haven't changed much in weight. They were 520g when i shot aluminums with 100g heads. Now they're 520g using easton carbons with regular HIT insert and 100g head. If i go with some of sonic 6.0 or victory arrows I can jump to 150g heads and be at 520g still.

Speeds however have changed drastically. I used to shoot 520g at 230 fps.. Now I shoot it at 290fps.. A good sharp broadhead will zip through them just as well regardless of the speed. 25 years ago I shot a doe at 40 yards. My aluminum 2317 zipped through her and the broadhead implanted into the log beyond her. She jumped in circles looking around for "the bee that stung her" and flopped on the spot after 3 seconds. I'm guessing my arrow hit her doing 190 fps..

Dudley recently did a Nock On Archery podcast on this question of arrow weight. It's worth a listen.

Its been covered by a lot of the big credible names, but you're correct I think Dud said the magical words "Most people are missing shots to the rear and not towards the front" And he also said "why are people making arrow decisions based around making a bad shot" . I can only think of about 3 deer i've shot that made me question the use of an expandable. Of all the deer I hit "too far back", the expandable did exactly what it was supposed to do. That

RowdyAF

FNG
Its been covered by a lot of the big credible names, but you're correct I think Dud said the magical words "Most people are missing shots to the rear and not towards the front" And he also said "why are people making arrow decisions based around making a bad shot" . I can only think of about 3 deer i've shot that made me question the use of an expandable. Of all the deer I hit "too far back", the expandable did exactly what it was supposed to do. That
It’s all personal preference and what gear you have confidence in. Confidence in your gear allows you to perform better. Worried about an expandable not opening? Shoot a fixed head. Want a faster arrow with less drop over distance? Go with a lighter arrow. I shoot a fixed blade on a heavy arrow because I want penetration in case I encounter bone before I hit vitals. Op, you need to decide what works best for your hunting style.