Who all Calls in Spring Bears

JustCarr

FNG
Who calls in Spring Bears? Which calls have you found to be most effective?

Thinking I might give it a whirl this spring.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping to try calling a little more this spring. I’ve only tried it a few times and never gave it a real chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrTim

FNG
Any concerns with calling in sows with cubs?

1. A sow comes in fast to your call and cubs may be trailing way behind, too far behind for you see them when it’s time to take the shot.
2. A sow may perceive a predator call as a cub in distress call. So she sends her cubs up a tree before rushing in to investigate.

This question is sincere and I bring it up because I just read an article by Jerry Peterson in Traditional Bowhunter magazine, Summer 1990 that emphatically recommends against calling for bears in the spring. He cites a Pennsylvania bear biologist and Minnesota Bear researcher in his article.

I like calling late season, I don't do a ton of it (will call morning and mid day) what keeps me from calling more is usually by the time calling can be consistent, i'm hunting a couple particular bears, and I try to stay as low impact as possible on those bears..... they will circle your wind if they can (in my experience) and especially in thick country like it is here.

my calling has evolved the past few years on accident. I usually draw a spring tag every other year, and the years I don't, i'm calling for lions. the amount of bear I have accidentally called in with lion vocals is interesting, and that's pretty much how I call when targeting bear now.

bear are proven to steal lion kills often, so it's no surprise it works. my lion setups start with a couple of minutes of distress, then lion vocals.... painting the picture of a lion making a kill, then using communicative calls like they know another lion is in the area.

if specifically calling bears, I will do another little distress period around the 30 minute mark, and make sure you call for at least an hour for bear or lions.... bear seem to like that 40-50 minute mark to come in.

setups are very important, if you give them a path to circle down wind, they'll use it..... lions don't care much about wind, so wind is another factor calling bear.... you can use that to your advantage where you set the call, bringing them into a spot you'll see them.

my biggest hangup is I love sitting behind the glass in the spring, and I spend a lot of time calling on either end of bear season targeting lions, so I don't call bear a lot.... it is pretty exciting when a bear comes into calls, and it varies a lot how they do, some will charge in, some will be very nonchalant about it, almost like they don't here the call and they are just walking over there for an unrelated reason, haha.

I would probably call more in a high bear biomass area, that's not the case here, so I mostly look for big sign and work on patterning that bear..... when I find a big boar, I don't want to chance disrupting his habits by potentially calling him into my wind.... I put a lot of effort keeping my scent out of an area i'm trying to kill a big bear in.

One of the best ways to bowhunt bears in non-bait areas if you don't have hounds in my opinion. I prefer huffs to predator calls, sows and young boars generally won't come in to huffs and would prefer to get the hell out of dodge when they hear that sound unless you're already right up on them...better way of weeding out what you wouldn't want to put an arrow in but you're definitely dealing with a different temperament when a big boar is coming in thinking you challenged him. It's also not like calling coyotes, you could stand there huffing for a month and never have a bear come in if it isn't wandering by within 100 yards but if you hear one in the timber or see one out of bow range it can be a good way to bring them in for a look see.

Distress calls do work too, always watch a bear as long as possible before making the decision to shoot regardless as the possibility of cubs is always an issue if you aren't sure it's a boar.

Bshiftbc

FNG
I really like Sayleans book and use it as my go-to reference guide. I have the "ultimate Guide" version. Well worth the price!

Saylean

FNG
Called that one in to under 20 yards, along with two other mature bear at the same time.

Calling works.

JohnnyB

WKR
Called that one in to under 20 yards, along with two other mature bear at the same time.

Calling works.
Great bear! Is there any time of the day that you like to call or a time of day that you don’t? For instance, have you tried it at first light or stop in the evening? Thanks for all the info you put out to the bear hunting community.

Saylean

FNG
I’ll call anytime of the day. I’ve had particular luck in the evenings/dusk (I usually hunt dawn/dusk for bear). I always carry a call with me (even deer hunting) in case I get bored and want to see what I can break loose. More importantly I’ve found is the amount of food available. The less food available the better the calling results.

Jmp209

FNG
I'm also curious to see what sounds other people have had success with. I've gotten quite a few recommendations over the years but most of those people have never shot a bear let alone called any in so I'm reluctant to take their advice. I just started calling for bears last year and haven't had any success yet with them but plan to stick with it and keep trying again this year.

Saylean

FNG
Remember you may have called one in, you just didn’t see it. Keep at it. Don’t be afraid to use sounds other people don’t. The key is not to sound perfect, only to peak the interest of the bear long enough to get a shot.

Jmp209

FNG
Remember you may have called one in, you just didn’t see it. Keep at it. Don’t be afraid to use sounds other people don’t. The key is not to sound perfect, only to peak the interest of the bear long enough to get a shot.
It's always possible I've called one in without seeing it, not too much open terrain where I hunt. I just keep planning on experimenting until I find something that works. Your book has been a pretty good jumping off point so far.

horniac

FNG
Called in lots. Even wrote a book on it. Totally worth calling bear, you’ll love it.
Douglas Boze
I bought the Kindle edition of your book a couple of months ago and really enjoyed reading it. Lots of good detailed information in there and I learned a lot from it...

Horniac