Who Lubes Necks

Do you lube the neck of your case before seating the bullet.

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 66.7%
  • Lube Bullet Instead

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do you lube your case prior to seating the bullet? (If you're in full-site mode, please vote in the poll above)

Think it's a waste of time?

If you do it, what is your favorite product?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really sure it is a waste of time but I waste time all the time in reloading.
I use the imperial dry neck lube with the imperial application media and it works great......at least the dead animals don't seem to really care.

Randy

4ester

WKR
Imperial.

I run my necks through a mandrel to set neck tension, so apply the imperial prior to that and don’t clean it out afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I spray Oneshot on all my cases before resizing. After resizing, I leave the lube in the neck. Seating became notoceably more consistent. I've not yet compared loads I was happy with to know if it makes a difference to ES or on target.

I started doing this to help mitigate cold welding of the bullet in the case neck. I had some year old handloads that were all seized up. Havent repeated that issue since leaving the lube in there.

I preferred this method to Imperial Dry lube. Only because the seating felt more consistent and it was an easier adaption to my existing workflow.

I didn't either, just a couple months ago I ran into a couple of videos on it and they both said it will drop the ES by 3-12 fps . So I mixed enough small lead shot in the container of imperial dry Lube that way it doesn't clump up on the brass and tried it and it worked been doing it ever since

I have the Imperial dry lube I use to neck size. I never though of putting some shot in it. I will cut open a shotshell and dump some in mine.

Axlrod

WKR
Imperial dry on new cases. Most that have been fired i hit with a nylon brush only. The residual carbon is enough "lube". I don't clean with SS pins, just dry walnut. If you clean with SS pins it removes the carbon, so some lube would be beneficial.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff guys. So far the results are about what I expected. It seems to be one of those things that some guys do and some don't.

Wrench

WKR
The hard part for me would be consistency. We've all seen what happens if you have too much lube on a shoulder.

To be able to get repeatable results would take some planning. I strive for a certain neck tension and to lube it would reduce that.....not saying it couldn't be effective, just that it would be like starting over for me.

But now that it's on the table I might have to give it a try and see what I come up with.

I responded "No" because I mostly do not. I typically dry tumble to clean and residual carbon seems to be enough lube. However, every now and then I sonic clean...when I do that I lightly lube the inside. But that is rare.

KClark

WKR
It was a thing back in the 1990s with Palma shooters. A Scotsman named Charles Young wrote a few articles for Precision Shooting about using a long tapered reamer to deburr the neck and then lube the case necks with moly grease. It was very popular for a few years but faded away.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Lube necks before sizing, for sure. Lube necks before seating bullets, never, sort of blasphemy in the BR world. And what works for BR works in a hunting rifle. Really surprising to hear you all post more consistent SD with lube in the necks. I tumble after sizing to try and guarantee all lube is gone. Pressure changes with inconsistent neck tension, and to me, lube in the neck is going to change neck tension. Not possible to apply a consistent coating of lube, bad mojo, but that is my experience.

I was having issues with my dies making rings on my accubonds while seating. I lapped the inside of the seater plunger and began lubing bullets very very lightly. Hoping to shoot thru the chrono soon to see if theres a difference