Who takes a home office deduction?

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Just to add clarity here, are the folks doing this also business owners? There seems to be a difference WFH employees and WFH owners.

W2 work from home employees can’t take the deduction. Only for self employed.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have my own LLC (1099's) registered in 2 states as a side hustle. Use home office deduction via Turbo Tax. About 10% of sq ft of house. As others have mentioned, able to deduct % of insurance, utilities/internet etc. Never had an issue with Uncle Sam.

When accountants are tell you not to use it, there are doing you a disservice, at best. At worst, they are using scare tactics to keep you attached to their "creative accounting". (IMHO)
Screenshot 2024-03-02 081647.jpg

Reactions: ODB

def90

WKR
I own my own business and asked my accountant about this years ago and he flat out said no.

I believe it matters whether or not you own your home or rent as well but he said if you want an audit go ahead and do it.

Jcvr

FNG
I had a home office for about 25 years and never took it. From what I remember, we looked into it and it wasn't worth it unless you itemized, and even then I don't know if if would make much of a difference. I'm sure there are some cases where it works out as a benefit.

Reactions: ODB