Who uses rope or an area light?

WyoKid

WKR
Who carries an led work light or rope light to light up the surrounding area for butchering at night? I have always just used my head lamp but started thinking it might be nice to light up the general area. The ones I have seen are luminoodle and lastlight. Not sure that the limited utility justifies the extra weight. I think it is gimmicky but wanted to see what y'all think?

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
I pack an extra fload lamp that I can attach to my tripod, doubles as my back up light and blood tracking

Ropes might

Great idea....I also carry a second headlamp and that is another good use for it!

I have been carrying a Luci inflatable solar lantern the last few years. Deflates flat and weighs 4.4 ounces. It's only 75 lumens but it floods light over a good area. I am using it to light my tent in this pic.

Attachments

• 20211112_205425.jpg
    20211112_205425.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20230424_001005_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424_001005_Chrome.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 74

johnw

FNG
If I am solo and within a mile or so of the truck, I will just walk my pack + weapon back to the truck and dump everything to pick up my shop light and an extra battery or two. Example attached...

If further away or with a buddy, I typically just go with the headlamps.

Attachments

• IMG_8102.jpeg
    IMG_8102.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 75
Goal zero crush lantern. Lighter than the Luci and more versatile IMO. You can hang it, or set it on a rock and kind of point it in the direction you wanted to cast the light.

as far as rope, I carry a 20 foot chunk of 1100 cord in my kill kit. I also carry 50 feet Of 550 cord in my pack at all times.

Elkangle

WKR
That’s a great idea. Do you have a link the the flood lamp you use?
It's a zebra light, not sure the exact model but goes up to 1000 lumens

Another good option if your packig a battery pack is the goal zero light a life mini

Goal zero crush lantern. Lighter than the Luci and more versatile IMO. You can hang it, or set it on a rock and kind of point it in the direction you wanted to cast the light.

as far as rope, I carry a 20 foot chunk of 1100 cord in my kill kit. I also carry 50 feet Of 550 cord in my pack at all times.
The Luci has twice the battery capacity at 1000 amp hrs vs 500. Will also run 6 hours on high at 75 lumens instead of the goal zero 3 hours at 60 lumens.

I will say the goal zero design looks more versatile.

I think the Luces I am familiar with were an older design. My brother used to always bring them. My son turned me onto the Goal zero crush on our last hunting trip. We used it every night to light the kitchen area where we made dinner. I really liked it so he got me one for Christmas.

cnelk

WKR
I carry 2 headlamps - when I’m done quartering in the dark I’ll leave one turned on at the meat, hanging from a branch

TXCO

WKR
No on the rope light. I think the only people carrying them have sponsorship dollars on the line.

Those solar laterns can be handy in a tent or tipi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another vote for the goal zero crush lantern. I got it for the packability as it packs flat and is fairly light. Mine isn’t as bright as a headlamp, but it is an adequate area light.