Why do Kifaru owners hate load shelves?

Hey, I just got my first Kifaru pack. I've been a backpacker for a long time and have always tried to go light/spartan. Due to this, I decided on the 26" duplex light frame and a woodsman bag. The woodsman will be bigger than any pack I've used for multi day backpack trips.

Now that I am a hunter, I figure I'll more than likely be using the pack as a day pack after I drop off my camp. The majority of the year, I'll be using this pack in daypack mode. If I do get an animal down I figure I'll just pack up camp in the bag and use the load shelf for the meat. The first... or last trip is really the only time i'll have both meat and camp items on my back. Obviously I'll have to make multiple trips as I'm hunting elk and I'm usually solo or with one buddy. Seems like a great system to me, using the shelf. Keeps the weight against your pack and keeps your bag clean.

Am I missing something? Bored at work and already thinking about next year as I didn't see a single elk after spending 6 days in the mountains this year.

I prefer the load shelf. The ones who prefer putting meat in the bag like it mainly for the simplicity of it. Just put the meat in a contractor bag and shove it inside the bag. That way you don’t have to worry about it trying to come loose nor do you have to worry about detaching your bag from the frame. I just prefer to use the shelf so that I don’t have to worry as much about getting stuff inside my bag. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. The load out is going to bring the suck regardless lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the 44 mag this year to replace my DT2. With my DT2 I had to put the meat in the bag and I quickly ran out of room on a few trips. Using the meat shelf this year on the 44 mag was a nice option to have and handled elk quarters really well. I won’t go back to not having the option

OP
T
I bought the woodsman used and had it for about a week now. My frame just showed up from Kiraru a couple days ago. Setting everything up and getting the frame adjusted correctly, I probably removed the bag 20 times now. It seems like a pretty easy process. Takes no more than a few seconds. I figured the pain of taking the bag off would be the reason so many people don't like the shelf but Kifaru made it pretty easy.

I carry a contractor bag and can see being too lazy after the first pack out to disassemble everything. Since I didn't get an elk this year, I would kill to have that struggle right about now. Haha.

Last year I got my elk in a place that we could get a truck right to it. My first hunt... ever. I was kind of disappointed I didn't get to hike the elk out.

I have done both. I find it very convenient to have the option of leaving my stuff in the bag, and just detaching it to use the load shelf if needed. I used to carry a little duffle that I would put my pack contents into and then strap on the outside if I filled the pack with meat. Worked, but was kinda meh

I go back and forth between "in the bag" and on a shelf. In the past I've been more of a in the bag guy but this year was packing my bull and took parts of my camp with each load..... I'll be the first to admit it was nice to have the two separate

Poser

WKR
I have a pack with a load shelf and am happy with it. That being said, having packed meat with a Kirfaru user, I have observed the advantage of being able to pack meat + easily carry other gear such as puffy, rain gear, camp gear etc vs having to figure out a way to attach it or just use the backpack behind the load shelf which means the bag is less stable and further away from your body.

For pure meat packing, I like the load shelf better. For a combination of meat packing and gear hauling, using the bag itself might be better.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think load shelves have their place.

If I have the time, or need to squeeze out a very inch of space for gear, or to reduce volume. Then messing with a load shelf is worth it.

Most of the time after I get done cutting up an animal. I just want to load the thing and get the hell out of there. Not messing with removing a bag speeds that up.

I feel like I can support/secure my meat better in the bag on top of it all. Along with my gear.

Above summed it up pretty well. I prefer to throw it in the bag simply for simplicity.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have done it both ways with multiple kifaru bags, stone glacier frames and bags and seek outside frames and bags. So far this year I have packed out 2 bulls on my kifaru frame with a mountain rambler bag. I used the shelf with some 90ish pound loads and have really come to prefer the meat shelf. Last year I packed elk out on a SO frame. We left camp on the mountain so my pack was empty - meat in the bag. Worked fine, of course. The year before I packed 2 bulls out with a stone glacier frame. I carried some loads in the bag and some on the load shelf. One feature I really like with the SG frame is the independent load shelf on the frame. I detached my fully loaded pack bag and used just the frame to leapfrog a few very large loads down the mountain while my buddy butchered. No unpacking, just borrow a few compression straps and haul it.

Dozens of ways to do it. Right now I am looking hard at the 44 mag and the load shelf is a selling point for me. Very good chance I would carry meat in the bag too - just depends on the scenario when the groceries hit the ground.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have carried meat in my Kifaru Longhunter Guide bag and on the load shelves of my Woodsman and my Reckoning. I prefer using the load shelf since 1) I am able to get the weight a little higher on my back and 2) I prefer cleaning blood off the exterior of my pack vs the interior.

I have done it both ways with multiple kifaru bags, stone glacier frames and bags and seek outside frames and bags. So far this year I have packed out 2 bulls on my kifaru frame with a mountain rambler bag. I used the shelf with some 90ish pound loads and have really come to prefer the meat shelf. Last year I packed elk out on a SO frame. We left camp on the mountain so my pack was empty - meat in the bag. Worked fine, of course. The year before I packed 2 bulls out with a stone glacier frame. I carried some loads in the bag and some on the load shelf. One feature I really like with the SG frame is the independent load shelf on the frame. I detached my fully loaded pack bag and used just the frame to leapfrog a few very large loads down the mountain while my buddy butchered. No unpacking, just borrow a few compression straps and haul it.

Dozens of ways to do it. Right now I am looking hard at the 44 mag and the load shelf is a selling point for me. Very good chance I would carry meat in the bag too - just depends on the scenario when the groceries hit the ground.
Just picked up the 44 mag as a day hunt type pack (I run a muskeg 7000 for backpack hunts) and I can highly recommend it. Packed out a deer last weekend 4.5 miles using the meat shelf, had a front/hind quarter + head using the shelf, gear in the bag. Worked slick, was able to get things plenty stable. I've always been a meat in the bag guy, most of my hunts are 5-9 day backpack style. I like the huge bags because I can throw my gear in a big dry bag, load meat on top, and come out with camp + meat and keep the load very stable. The 44 mag has me rethinking load shelves though, especially when the day hunt gear is not heavy enough to unbalance the load when the shelf is in use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Just picked up the 44 mag as a day hunt type pack (I run a muskeg 7000 for backpack hunts) and I can highly recommend it. Packed out a deer last weekend 4.5 miles using the meat shelf, had a front/hind quarter + head using the shelf, gear in the bag. Worked slick, was able to get things plenty stable. I've always been a meat in the bag guy, most of my hunts are 5-9 day backpack style. I like the huge bags because I can throw my gear in a big dry bag, load meat on top, and come out with camp + meat and keep the load very stable. The 44 mag has me rethinking load shelves though, especially when the day hunt gear is not heavy enough to unbalance the load when the shelf is in use.

Thanks for that. A day hunt type pack is the role I am looking at the 44 for as well. I also have llamas in training at the moment so I am imagining scenarios where I typically get to enjoy a lighter pack on my back but want to reserve the option of loading it down to assist with single trip packouts. I have also come full circle from the organized pocket covered setup to the single big bag with no organization and now back to wanting some decent organization with simple secure pockets. The 44 mag checks a lot of boxes for me right now and in the coming years.

Thanks for that. A day hunt type pack is the role I am looking at the 44 for as well. I also have llamas in training at the moment so I am imagining scenarios where I typically get to enjoy a lighter pack on my back but want to reserve the option of loading it down to assist with single trip packouts. I have also come full circle from the organized pocket covered setup to the single big bag with no organization and now back to wanting some decent organization with simple secure pockets. The 44 mag checks a lot of boxes for me right now and in the coming years.
Man that's so funny. I am looking into llamas myself right now, and have had the exact same thoughts. Honestly the organization/size of the 44 mag for day or even a spartan 2-3 day hunt is amazing compared to my bigger bags I've had in the past. Just definitely no space for meat inside the pack. I run 2 large belt pouches down the back of the pack and a med + water bottle holder on my waist belt

Tradchef

WKR
I prefer in the bag. I’ve used both ways on mystery ranch, sg and kifaru. For some reason I just like it better. Been using my cargo panel and guide lid as a day pack and meat hauler this season. Super easy to load up. i don’t think you can go wrong either way. Personal preference for most.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I even use the load shelf on my SG just for packing camp in. I intentionally use a smaller pack bag specifically for actual hunting, and then load up a dry bag with all my camp essentials . I drop the dry bag and set up camp. That way I have a small streamlined daypack for hunting.

I even use the load shelf on my SG just for packing camp in. I intentionally use a smaller pack bag specifically for actual hunting, and then load up a dry bag with all my camp essentials . I drop the dry bag and set up camp. That way I have a small streamlined daypack for hunting.
Now that's a smart idea. Might have to experiment with that

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Do you still do this? I'm considering the same thing. Looking hard at the EXO k3 4800 to use instead of my 10-year-old kifaru t3