Why does my tikka Suck?

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the way they are supposed to shoot!
With a hunting rifle, that`s exactly right IMO. Meant for a lot of carrying and a little shooting. I enjoy some range time occasionally with my Savage 110 in .223. In every aspect it`s a hunting rifle. As such, I pay more attention to the POA vs. POI with the first couple of rounds out than I do any subsequent group, although it will easily shoot sub-MOA for a 3 shot group with its preferred loads.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I realize this is an old thread, but people Google old threads so I will add my experience for data. My 270 win t3x shoots about a quarter moa cold. Once the barrel heats up, forget it. First 3 shots today, copper Federals for CA.

The rest were garbage. I gave up trying to cool the barrel after a while and just left.
Take into consideration that has to be tested multiple times and prove to be repeatable for it to be trusted. More often than not, that's just an ill informed conclusion based on random distribution from small sample size data sets. If you can repeat ten 3 shot groups from cold bore and the aggregate POI of all shots is sub MOA, then I'd say you have a case to be made. If not, it's probably just part of the dispersion of that system.

With a hunting rifle, that`s exactly right IMO. Meant for a lot of carrying and a little shooting. I enjoy some range time occasionally with my Savage 110 in .223. In every aspect it`s a hunting rifle. As such, I pay more attention to the POA vs. POI with the first couple of rounds out than I do any subsequent group, although it will easily shoot sub-MOA for a 3 shot group with its preferred loads.
Again, whether hunting rifle or not, it takes a fairly large sample size to indicate the precision and repeatability of the system.

JustMe7

FNG
I had a tikka t3, I bought it about 10 years ago. Tried a large variety of factory ammo, hornady, federal, remington, barnes, etc. Never could get it to shoot acceptably 2"-minute of paper plate. I got a limbsaver pad, clamp on muzzle brake thinking I was being overly sensitive. Those made it more pleasant to shoot but didn't i.prove groups. Recoil lug was snug and in good condition.

Next was trying to grind the bump in the stock off; no difference. Then a different stock, again no difference.

Started reloading and got some more acceptable results; 0.6-1.5" groups at 100 yards. Tighter groups with 162 eldx, the bit bigger with 175 partitions.
I took it bear hunting and did shoot a bear with the partition. That winter I tried stretching it out with the eldx's, it maintained about moa groups to 400 yards. Then I moved back to 460 yards and had a few keyholes that managed to hit the backer board.

That was the end of the tikka 7rm for me. Last fall I ordered an x-caliber 6.5 prc prefit that wouldn't chamber a round. No help from x-caliber on the chamber issue. So it's been at a smith for a while to get the chamber straightened out for hopefully a future barrel replacement. I ordered a proof 6.5 prc prefit, it shoots well consistently. I haven't shot it much at e tended range yet but a few weeks ago I did set up a gong at 380 yds and shot 3 round groups on two separate days. One measured 2.5" and the other was right at an inch shooting 127 lrx. I'm happy I finally switched the barrel. The 7rm barrel might get turned into a tomato stake. Hopefully the smith can sort out the x-caliber barrel for the future.
My first Tikka was a Hunter .270 win.
Far More recoil than any .270 I ever shot.
It would shake the weaver mounts loose before I could get it aligned.
Every time I thought I would have it, the screws that hold the rings to the base would be loose.
I’m glad I didn’t give up on tikka right there.
I’ve had some amazingly accurate rifles from them since

WKR
Take into consideration that has to be tested multiple times and prove to be repeatable for it to be trusted. More often than not, that's just an ill informed conclusion based on random distribution from small sample size data sets. If you can repeat ten 3 shot groups from cold bore and the aggregate POI of all shots is sub MOA, then I'd say you have a case to be made. If not, it's probably just part of the dispersion of that system.
Based upon the "your groups are too small" thread and episodes 50 and 52 of the hornady podcast with the same title, I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Their data was all derived from 1 1/4" stainless, single cut barrels. They stated that using the percentages that they found for increased expected group size can prove something else is happening. If you have a sporter barrel that opens up beyond their calculated percentages after 3 shots, something else is at play, and they have seen that be heat.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Based upon the "your groups are too small" thread and episodes 50 and 52 of the hornady podcast with the same title, I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Their data was all derived from 1 1/4" stainless, single cut barrels. They stated that using the percentages that they found for increased expected group size can prove something else is happening. If you have a sporter barrel that opens up beyond their calculated percentages after 3 shots, something else is at play, and they have seen that be heat.
Repeatability is always the conclusion. Heat can play a factor in dispersion in barrels that aren't properly stress relieved, but it's usually not present in single point cut rifled barrels. Listen to Jaydens explanation of how he confirms a load in his hunting rifle in those episodes.

WKR
Repeatability is always the conclusion. Heat can play a factor in dispersion in barrels that aren't properly stress relieved, but it's usually not present in single point cut rifled barrels. Listen to Jaydens explanation of how he confirms a load in his hunting rifle in those episodes.
He keeps coming back to, shoot it like it will be used. He shoots 7 3-shot groups, spread out over days, letting his rifle get cold, etc. Why would he do that if heat wasnt a factor?

Harvey_NW

WKR
He keeps coming back to, shoot it like it will be used. He shoots 7 3-shot groups, spread out over days, letting his rifle get cold, etc. Why would he do that if heat wasnt a factor?
See excerpts below from my original response.
If you can repeat ten 3 shot groups from cold bore and the aggregate POI of all shots is sub MOA, then I'd say you have a case to be made.

Again, whether hunting rifle or not, it takes a fairly large sample size to indicate the precision and repeatability of the system.

I said 10 because 30 is statistically significant and shrinks the variability further, he said 7 because they've determined 21 will paint a good enough picture to prove whether or not a load meets his criteria for precision. Regardless, the point is you need those 20 to 30 shots however you so choose to shoot them, to prove the precision of the system.

WKR
Take into consideration that has to be tested multiple times and prove to be repeatable for it to be trusted. More often than not, that's just an ill informed conclusion based on random distribution from small sample size data sets.

I interpreted this to be dismissive of the idea that a hot barrel played a role in the grouping described by the individual you quoted. Maybe I misjudged your tone, but it struck me as you were calling out the individual who believed his hot barrel changed his groups by stating that it was just the way his rifle probably shot, he didnt understand sample size, and he needed to prove his claim by shooting as you stated.

I apologize if I read too much into it, or read it incorrectly.

JustMe7

FNG
Heat is definitely a factor, but 21 shots spread out ‘over days’??
The barrel takes that long to cool?

WKR
Heat is definitely a factor, but 21 shots spread out ‘over days’??
The barrel takes that long to cool?
He wants a cold bore shot with each group. He wants the rifle and ammo to be cold, like it would hunting. He shoots in his backyard so it's easy to shoot three in the morning after letting everything sit out and get cold. Shoot it like it will be used, in his case, means cold.