Why is everyone in love with the 6.5 creedmoor?

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
That’s what I mean, he just heard about a 6.5 creedmoor and bought it because that’s the cool cartridge now. He did zero looking into it other than hearing that people shoot 1,000 yards with them

EastMT

WKR
Ok so I was being sarcastic. I did buy one in a Win EW-SS this year. It’s nice to shoot, I do enjoy it. But it just another caliber, nothing magic.

I say let them shop, it not only keeps gun companies in business, ammo companies in business, it creates more innovation trying to break into the it crowd, make things with better twist rates

But yeah, I’ll probably still be dragging my archaic 308 or WSM out to play. Or grab the 26 Nos, it’s been known to scare deer dead just by racking a round.

hodgeman

WKR
If we're being real, there's very little actual difference in field performance in damn near everything under the .338WM at the distances most people actually shoot animals.

So he got a rifle he likes, in a cartridge he likes, that has great ammo available everywhere for cheap, that doesn't knock his ass out from under his hat with every pull of the trigger?

Mercy, we must mobilize to save him from the error of his ways....

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
If we're being real, there's very little actual difference in field performance in damn near everything under the .338WM at the distances most people actually shoot animals.

I disagree I little bit here. There is I line between 308 and 300 wsm where deer start to drop in their tracks with a shot behind the shoulder.
But I agree, most cartridges with ethically take most any animal in the lower 48

I have a x bolt long range in 6.5 creed and it’s an absolute tac driver. I use it with copper loads here in CA and then a 6.5 prc for my out of state gun and both and .25 MOA rifles after a lot of handloading trial and error. I took the creedmoor to Africa and killed kudu, oryx, warthog with it and have killed elk and mule deer with it here out west with no issues.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I disagree I little bit here. There is I line between 308 and 300 wsm where deer start to drop in their tracks with a shot behind the shoulder.
But I agree, most cartridges with ethically take most any animal in the lower 48

Yep that line is somewhere between rimfire and 223. Plenty of deer are killed with 223 shots behind the shoulder with heavy bullets. Hit them in the right spot and they flop over. Hit them in the wrong spot they wont flop over with a 300 win mag. Bigger faster bullets doesnt equal faster kills. correct shot placement does. Convincing people they need a 300 WSM to shoot deer is creating more wounded deer when you create hunters that flinch everytime their gun goes bang.

Bullet construction trumps size and speed more often then not.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
No there's not. I've shot many whitetail with both .308 and 300 WSM and multiple cartridges in between and they have all dropped in their tracks. So there's that. What other BS ya got?
Maybe the size of deer is the difference here if you’re from Georgia. I started out with a .308 Winchester 140 and 150 grain soft points. Almost every lung shot deer ran 50ish yards and died. Switch to my .300 wsm with 150 grain bullets and every deer I’ve shot within 300 yards didn’t take a step.

Slow it down though with 180 grain bullets and it’s about 50-50 odds if they drop or run a little bit.
That is what I’ve seen from around 100 deer that I’ve personally taken with those two cartridges. Not counting what I’ve seen from deer shot by family and friends

Fatcamp

WKR
Low recoil in a round that kills well.

30/06 sucks to shoot in a light rifle. .308 is lame. 7mm/08, didn't Newberg move on to .300WM? 6.5Godmoor is where it's at. For everything elephant and below.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Because 6.5 CM will kill anything in deer and smaller with good ballistics and low recoil - yes better than .243. And it will take elk at reasonable ranges.

For a one rifle North American Strategy, I would buy a 30-06 but not everyone hunts elk and bear.

I think 7mm-08 is a better all around choice for a one rifle low recoil but the 6.5 CM ammo is now available at Walmart which hasn't been mentioned but matters a lot and puts it in the universal category of .270, .308, 30-06, and 300 WM.

I’ve run into a few tacticool dumbasses at the range that think a 6.5 creedmoor is some special laser beam it isn’t so I understand why folks get annoyed. That said, it is a well designed cartridge and is a great choice for lots of people.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Wind gypsy, I believe I’ve just met too many of those people.
6.5 creedmoor will undoubtedly kill elk and deer. It just seems that most people over hype their ballistics.
I’m not saying a person shouldn’t get one, but I won’t as my 25-06 has that range covered.

EastMT

WKR

0b4c02e1c0b3fe68423f21a4ededdcf2.jpg

I’m using this for a camo stencil on mine. Be a conversation starter like my rainbow unicorn AR

I have a couple .308’s and a .243. My next rifle purchase will be a 6.5 creedmoor or maybe a 6.5 Prc. And yes I know there is some overlap with the 6.5 prc and the .308.