Why Match/Target Bullets For Hunting

Dirtbag

WKR
3A9F1ABE-BEFA-4EEE-99E5-8109FC61DF8B.JPG

Just one example of SMK's.

52 grain Sierra Matchking behind the shoulder, made a short sprint and died in sight. Cant imagine it would have died any quicker with any other bullet choice. results have been pretty consistent. They work.

Last edited:

KsRancher

WKR
Not a match or target bullet, so I probably should post this on this thread. But I thought this was interesting. Elk hunting this year with my 300 RUM using 180gr Remington corelokts. I have practiced out to 500 and feel comfortable with it. I had an opportunity at a bull at 408yds. I was NOT going for the high shoulder drop them in their tracks shot. 1st shot sent downrange. WHACK, he didn't act hit but ran about 40yds and stopped. 2nd shot sent downrange. WHACK, he didn't act hit but ran about 40yds more. When he stopped he turned and faced back the way he came. 3rd shot sent downrange. WHACK, he took about 3 steps and disappeared. First 2 shots were on left side, 3rd shot on right side.

My brother and I waited about 30 minutes. I stayed put with my eye on where I last seen him. I guided my brother to that spot and sure enough there was a dead elk there. There was not one drop of blood coming out his mouth, on the hair on either side or anywhere on the snow. Rolled him over and not one drop of blood on the under side either. Rolled him back over and a SMALL trickle of blood came out on his right side.

Our findings after skinning were. 1st and 2nd shots were about 3 inches apart right thru the lungs with no exit and never made it out if ribcage. 3rd shot was same spot just on other side with no exit but bullet jacket made it to just under hide. Inside his chest cavity looked like a bowl of chili.

I was a little disappointed in no exit since I didn't hit anything more than a rib. With the lack of exit there was absolutely no blood trail to follow. Yep, killed him graveyard dead. But I will be looking for something that holds together a little bit more and hopefully get an exit. I am not sure what would have happened if I had hit shoulder, but guessing it wouldn't have been good

25-06, 117 grain Hornady Ballistic Tip can take down just about anything you want to shoot and is very accurate. The target below is 3 of the 117 Ballistic Tip rounds at 200 yards with the rifle laying on a stack of 2x4's. 25 caliber bullets are easy to come buy.

Attachments

• IMG-2543.jpg
    IMG-2543.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 78

TX_Diver

WKR
Not a bit. Actually the 168 or 175gr TMK would be my choice for a 308 bullet.

What would you like for a 30-06 for elk and larger? Savage 114 American Classic w/ 22" Barrel (1:10 I think). Could load over IMR or H4350, IMR 4895 or IMR 4064. 175 TMK or lean towards one of the heavier ELD or Bergers?

Right now I have some 180 accubonds but I haven't developed a load yet and was considering switching to something a bit less expensive and more readily available...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What would you like for a 30-06 for elk and larger? Savage 114 American Classic w/ 22" Barrel (1:10 I think). Could load over IMR or H4350, IMR 4895 or IMR 4064. 175 TMK or lean towards one of the heavier ELD or Bergers?

If your shots are almost all under 400’ish, AND you won’t push impact speeds below 2,100’ish FPS, and/or meat damage is a high priory- the Federal Terminal Ascent works well. However it is not an all range bullet and like all controlled expansion bullets at lower impact the velocities it creates narrow wounds.
The reason I bring this up, is because the 30/06 and the 308 actually, with bullets such as TMK’s start to get into serious tissue damage levels. If I’m shooting them, that’s what I want- just a warning.

For the 30/06 I’d load either the 175gr TMK, or more likely the 195gr TMK.

TX_Diver

WKR
If your shots are almost all under 400’ish, AND you won’t push impact speeds below 2,100’ish FPS, and/or meat damage is a high priory- the Federal Terminal Ascent works well. However it is not an all range bullet and like all controlled expansion bullets at lower impact the velocities it creates narrow wounds.
The reason I bring this up, is because the 30/06 and the 308 actually, with bullets such as TMK’s start to get into serious tissue damage levels. If I’m shooting them, that’s what I want- just a warning.

For the 30/06 I’d load either the 175gr TMK, or more likely the 195gr TMK.

10-4. Guessing to minimize meat damage I’m back to the accubonds or similar at reasonable ranges?

What’s your experience with the TGKs or similar bullets on quartering to or away shots?

Broadside it seems like you just want to miss the shoulder… when quartering that becomes a bit more challenging?

Seems like they’d be plenty devastating at the expense of some of your shoulder meat?

The 175s are in stock at a few spots. Will probably grab a box to play with.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
10-4. Guessing to minimize meat damage I’m back to the accubonds or similar at reasonable ranges?

That just depends on what you’re looking for. Partitions and Accubonds are good for the majority of ranges most people shoot and they aren’t as damaging to meat as the heavy fragmenting bullets.

What’s your experience with the TGKs or similar bullets on quartering to or away shots?

TGK’s are similar to Accubonds, Sciroccos, etc.

Broadside it seems like you just want to miss the shoulder… when quartering that becomes a bit more challenging?

Seems like they’d be plenty devastating at the expense of some of your shoulder meat?

Yep. They kill great, and will penetrate fine. They’re just destructive.

Bluumoon

WKR
The most recent episode on the Backcountry hunting podcast sounds awfully familiar. "Target bullets for Big Game".

Flyjunky

WKR
The most recent episode on the Backcountry hunting podcast sounds awfully familiar. "Target bullets for Big Game".
That was a good listen and some of it dovetails nicely into the other thread about shooting small groups.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Great information being shared. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
From

He has had a follow up episode to the interview with the GunWerks guy on the topic. It made me think about the how and why and when. They we're both very informative shows.

I still want a pass through so I am unlikely to try a Berger VLD anytime soon, but I can no longer say never.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
So says everyone who isn’t confident of making my rightkilling shots and is already banking

We hunt on a South Texas ranch where the brush is very thick. We hunt open open areas with the shot often next to the brush. If a shot animal gets into that brush, they are very difficult to see/find even if they don't run far.

The rancher doesn't allow shots over 200 yards because he doesn't want lost animals. He wants the deer DRT If at all possible.

So far, I have never needed a second shot on any of the deer I have shot at. The only hard track I have had was when my bullet broke apart shredding the vitals of an Axis doe but not leaving an exit wound. It took me an hour to find her in broad daylight despite the fact she only made it 20 yards. I didn't like that. I want a bullet that stays in one piece leaving an exit wound and blood to point me in the right direction.

BTW- I cannot afford the big trophy bucks and exotics he has. He lets me cull does most years.

Last edited: