Why no love for Kuiu packs?

I've been researching for a pack purchase coming up for Elk trips in the future. I'm looking for a daypack/overnighter with good potential to haul meat. The most revered bags on Rokslide seem to be #1 Kifaru after that Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek Outside, and then MR is up there but always stated they are heavy for their capacity. Why no love on here for Kuiu? They seem like they have a nice layout/design, well padded suspension, are reasonably priced, and are also lightweight. What gives?

bsnedeker

WKR
Personally I've seen a lot of guys on here talking about how they love the Kuiu packs over the years. Mixed in with that you also hear horror stories of busted frames and buckles and whatnot.

Bottom line: There is ALWAYS a tradeoff and compromises that need to be made in any design. Kuiu make just about the lightest pack system out there. Weight savings almost always come at the cost of durability and longevity so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it for you.

OP
MeatSeaker
I will also say man the options for good packs are mind blowing. It's really hard to pick one. How does one choose? I want the best for my $$ and my body if I have to haul a decent load.

fmyth

WKR
I have a Kuiu Pro 3200 and love it. I logged over 200 miles with it this year and packed out one elk. No problems with it at all. Is it as rugged as a Kifaru or Stone Glacier? Probably not. But, I picked it up onsale for $350 with some accessories so I don't expect it to last as long as a pack that costs nearly double.

I tried a Kuiu pack for a season. I didn't really care for it. I never felt comfortable. It was lite but but didn't feel stable with a load. I bought a Metcalf before last season and liked it a lot better. They are a little heavy, but it was way more comfortable.

The reason is that most guys myself included ended up with frames that were too small. With the correct size frame, they are amazing especially if you care about overall pack weight.

bsnedeker

WKR
I will also say man the options for good packs are mind blowing. It's really hard to pick one. How does one choose? I want the best for my $$ and my body if I have to haul a decent load.

The best way to choose would be to try them all and see what works best for you. Unfortunately about the only way to do that is to go to one of the big western hunting shows where all the major brands will be, then try them all on. Probably not going to happen this year with all the corona.

What kind of hunting and how much hunting are you planning to do and what kind of budget do you have? Those questions will help give you a direction to focus.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Can’t handle weight, 100+...comfortably.
After last pack out, partner and I each with hind qtr & a backstrap, he sold his KUIU and bought a Kifaru.
Took a loss selling the KUIU, would have been far ahead spending $$$ once and done.

I’ve packed out 4 elk with my Kifaru, 3 of those solo w/multiple trips in/out.
Goodness, wish this Kifaru pack system was available 25 years ago!

don’t waste precious time, learn from others experience and buy a pack to last a lifetime...Kifaru !
And enjoy the decision of which Kifaru pack system to choose.

OP
MeatSeaker
The best way to choose would be to try them all and see what works best for you. Unfortunately about the only way to do that is to go to one of the big western hunting shows where all the major brands will be, then try them all on. Probably not going to happen this year with all the corona.

What kind of hunting and how much hunting are you planning to do and what kind of budget do you have? Those questions will help give you a direction to focus.
My plan is to do annual Elk trip where I generally do a week or two at basecamps and daypack out with the potential to overnight it if necessary. I would also like to use the pack for coues in AZ in wintertime. Budget while a consideration is not a limiting factor as I’d like to have the best most comfortable pack I can. I’ve dealt with lumbar issues for years from construction jobs when I was younger, so I’m probably not going to be one of those mountain beasts who haul 100-150#. I’ll be the guy hauling 80-100# and making extra trips.

Usi05

WKR
Haven’t packed meat in my kuiu ultra but I had no issues with it last year for 10 days in Idaho and hunting at home in Michigan.

Zipper broke and Kuiu replaced bag without questions.
Easy to use for training with weight and feels good.

I’ve only owned a Cabela’s external frame pack and this Kuiu so I am trying to trade my Kuiu just to try something else.

My only grip with the ultra set up I have is the bag layout.

Guys with much more experience than I have but just my .02c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
When researching packs Kuiu had the most complaints/issues so I passed on them. Unfortunate too as I live only 20 mins away from their shop.

The way I look at it, MR, EXO, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier all having almost nothing but glowing reviews. KUIU seems to be 20% of previous owners dissatisfied.

Now this could just all be confirmation bias, internet groupthink, etc., but it’s not worth risk when an EXO can be had for a couple hundred more or a MR for the same price.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
I have packed out elk and deer with a 1800 ultra, worked fine. They hunt great. I have since switched, but would certainly use one again if need be. Great value

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I'm lucky enough to have both a Kuiu and a Kifaru frame/pack system and I think they are both good packs and each has different feature that I like.

I originally bought the Kuiu Ultra 6000 on sale and have used it on a solo backpack hunt for mule deer. It handled the weight OK (90 lb loads) but it was not as comfortable as I would have liked. I have since upgraded the suspension to try to increase the comfort and picked up an Icon Pro 3200 bag but have not tested it yet other than to train. When I pack in and during the hunt I like the way the Kuiu moves with me just enough as I move through the mountain and the pack bag is well thought out for the spotting scope, tripod and accessories..it's clean....I like that.

I have Kifaru G2? Duplex Frame with a Nomad 1 and it's handles a load well. I've used it on several solo backpack hunts and have hauled a Mtn. Goat Billy and camp out over 9 miles to the trail head. I made two trips as I try to keep my weight down to less then 100 lbs if at all possible. I had to add a bit more padding to the lumbar pad because during the trip out I could just feel the composite stay on my hip through the stock pad. Easy fix. I still use the Nomad 1 bag but find that I tire with all the straps and though I like the idea of modularity I find that reconfiguring the bag each time I need something can be kind of a pain. I'll be upgrading the bag soon though to a more recent design with less strappage like a Crater or Reckoning....I think I'll like that better. Like I mention the frame is comfortable when packing but is stiff and does not move with me during the hunt when I'm bushwacking, crawling or climbing over deadfall timber like the Kuiu. That's the key difference I suppose. I'm not a huge weight weeny so that's not a deal breaker.

I'm keeping both. For day and backpacking trips ranging from scouting to hunting medium sized game I'd grab the Kuiu. For backpack elk hunting and heavy load hauling I'll grab the Kifaru. Good luck with your search for the perfect pack!

The way I look at it, MR, EXO, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier all having almost nothing but glowing reviews. KUIU seems to be 20% of previous owners dissatisfied.

Now this could just all be confirmation bias, internet groupthink, etc., but it’s not worth risk when an EXO can be had for a couple hundred more or a MR for the same price.
I agree. Buy nice or buy twice

I have both Kuiu and Kifaru. For me, if I could only have one, it'd be the Kifaru. It handles weight better. It carry's light better. It's just a better pack. With that said, if all I had was my Kuiu, I'd be dang happy too. My only complaint on the Kuiu is the belt hips pads. They just don't wrap the front of the hips like a Kifaru belt does. As they only have two sizes versus three or more like most of the other guys offer. To illustrate my point, my wife is a fit women. Small tummy, (29" inches), flaring out into wider hips, (34 inches). However, she can wear both the smaller belt and the larger size Kuiu offers. Because the hip pads are so short on their belts, she can tighten the larger belt down and still carry all she wants, without it slipping.

With that said, the frame on the kuiu is major strong. It is as stiff and, likely stronger then anything any other company offers. So, the frame will handle anything you can. It is just more narrow. Which makes you think it is more flexible. It simply is not.

There are tradeoffs with any pack system. I prefer the Kifaru as stated above. But, I still carry the Icon Pro system a lot too. And, I have zero plans to get rid of it. So, my advice would be if you with the Kuiu, and are a 35 inch waist or smaller, get the large belt system on the Kuiu. So the pads will wrap the front of the hips. And love the pack system. Because, if you've never wore the kifaru belt, you'll not know any better. Because the Kuiu is more than capable. But, if you want the best, get the Kifaru and never look back.

Why no love? Well speaking from someone who has never tried a Kuiu, I've read too many negative things over the years from guys who've had them and ended up with a Kifaru, SG, MR etc and not looking back after dropping Kuiu. Maybe the company would have moved forward and gotten better had Jason's precious life still been with us right now. We'll never know unfortunately.......

brsnow

WKR
No doubt social media influences us, kuiu packs are like leupold scopes. Enough bad reviews on here to avoid both.