Why not use the roadkill?

https://www.change.org/petitions/co...ized-or-are-deceased-as-meat-for-the-homeless

I ask everyone on here to check this out an sign if you agree I hate seeing animals go to waste. And personally had an experience with this yesterday an the doe with a broken hip was pushed back over the highest barely walking onto private property where they left her to suffer. I understand its kinda natural but we should still do what we can to use the salvageable meat

charvey9

WKR
In Michigan, if you hit and kill a deer with your car you could contact the police department and get a permit to keep the animal. I'm not sure what it is like in other states.

Although I agree, and hate to see any animal go to waste, it is a little more complicated than it seems. My brother is a chef, and the laws and regulations regarding food care, handling, storage, and preparation of anything that will be served to the public are very strict. This may seem a little bureaucratic, but believe me that it is in the best interest of our health (just think of those kitchen nightmare stories you hear about). That being said, timely caring for the roadkill would be extremely important. As hunters we all know how important it is to field dress and cool the meat asap.

First you'd have to figure out who responds to the accident. Do you really want the police responding to a dead deer, or do you think they have more important issues to deal with? A game warden? I know in the two states I've lived in (Michigan and Oregon), they are spread so thin that the this isn't realistically possible to drive around their district to file reports on car/annimal accidents. Maybe there is some volunteer organization out there that could be designated to handle the meat, but I don't know of any state agency that would gut, butcher, store, and disperse this roadkill meat for free, so you have to ask yourself if you are willing to pay to make it happen....in the form of taxes? Unfortunately, in the end, there are probably cheaper alternatives to provide food to the homeless.

You might think that since there are homeless and hungry individuals who need the food, there are ways around some of the food handling guidelines that would get this meat from the road to their plate in a cheaper and quicker way. There are some obvious ethical issues with that argument, and don't be fooled for second that the first person who gets sick eating meat that was not cared for properly won't go looking for some money from the agency or location that provided it.

In the end, I think the answer to reducing the waste is just to let anyone get a permit to keep the animal. If the person involved in the accident does not want it, allow anyone else on a first come first served basis to claim the animal.

In Alaska we have a roadkill list. If a moose gets hit in your area and your next on the list, they call you up anytime of the day or night. If you're not available or you don't want the moose they go to the next person on the list until they find somebody that does.

charvey9

WKR
In Alaska we have a roadkill list. If a moose gets hit in your area and your next on the list, they call you up anytime of the day or night. If you're not available or you don't want the moose they go to the next person on the list until they find somebody that does.

Thats a pretty cool idea!

OP
BigAntlerGetter
AK I like that idea, charvey9 in Colorado it is the same you can get a tag but not many people ever do, so I guess the better option would be to have a list as Alaska does then that person comes an gets it and uses the meat. Then it could be their option to get it butchered and keep it or donate it, that is a very good idea. The way the one wa handled yesterday I was willing to take the meat but I was not allowed to kill it , I had to wait for the Dow or sheriff and the sheriff did not handle it properly in my eyes, I jus hate seeing a cow laying on the median wasting away I guess of it was state law to at least report the collision if the police cannot respond next person on the list goes to check, then it is their discretion and as most sportsman know when an animal is mortally wounded to kill it an take care of it

JG358

WKR
They no longer issue salvage carcass tags roadside in CO anymore. Last couple I picked up, the SO just helped load it up and told me to notify Colorado Parks and Wildlife with the next couple days to get the tag. Most dispatch centers have a list of people they go down to get animals picked up.

OP
BigAntlerGetter
They told me yesterday that the sheriff carried them an if joy to go to their office and get one but I couldn't pit the deer down myself. At least with a gun I had to cut its throat or use other means to kill it. She could barely walk an that to me I'd enough that I don't RDBMS walk up to get. Bs he may be hurt bad but she coulda still kicked my arse. An I have heard officers tell friends that if they shoot an animal they hit it is poaching

JG358

WKR
They told me yesterday that the sheriff carried them an if joy to go to their office and get one but I couldn't pit the deer down myself. At least with a gun I had to cut its throat or use other means to kill it. She could barely walk an that to me I'd enough that I don't RDBMS walk up to get. Bs he may be hurt bad but she coulda still kicked my arse. An I have heard officers tell friends that if they shoot an animal they hit it is poaching

I'd say they’re just power tripping, its only poaching if they intentionally hit the animal and then dispatch it.

Not to say it’s never happens but I've yet to hear of anyone getting a poaching ticket for putting a hit critter out of its misery. Even from people that dispatched them with a firearm in city limits of Colorado Springs. I know many a deputy and officers that are grateful when a citizen takes it upon themselves to dispatch injured animals so they don’t have to do it.