Wide width mountaineering boots?

duchntr

WKR
I have a fairly narrow and low volume foot, and with a thicker foot bed the Nepals work fine for me but the toe box is a tad wide for me. Yes they have ankle flex but are a full shank boot. Rei also carries the Lowe mountain experts which are wider and might work for you. If you don't find what you need there, AMH sometimes has some helpful people in there and should point you in the right direction.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Still waiting to hear from schees. They have some on the 4 scale for stiffness.
I’ll be at AMH here soon picking up my new ice axes. I’ll ask when I’m there.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a stiffer boot than my cabelas Alaskans, I see lots of great looking boots. But can’t find them in wide widths. I’m only a 10ee but everyone I’ve found only makes a D width. Anyone got ideas?

Check out our Granite and Beartooth boots. Both come in Wide sizes.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/

Also, I wear a Wide normally, but for some reason our Teton fits like a glove and it is an epic boot. Super stiff, crampon compatible and warm.

Silver

FNG
How are the Nepal’s? I could head into rei and try some on and see how they fit.

Nepals are definitely a technical mountaineering boot - think waterfall ice climbing. They're stiff and a bit heavy. For me I don't know that I'd want them hunting fo 10 days.

I've got a slight lybwide forefoot, and the La Sportiva line has been the ones that fit my feet best. Currently running the Trango GTX and like them for both long hunting trips as well as more technical light mountaineering. They shouldn't be too hard to find and try on either.

Good luck either way

Dobermann

WKR
Scarpa,Zamberlan, don’t have wides.

Scarpa does have a wide last for some of their boots that are billed as for backpacking, rather than mountaineering. However, they're full leather and are still fairly stiff. I can't remember the last name off the top of my head, but I did read on a Northern hemisphere-based backpacking forum that they're super-popular in Australia and New Zealand, given the amount of long hikes we do, and how feet flatten out as a result of this. Might be worth looking into ...

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
I do a fair amount of hunting in steep areas, and alpine ground from time to time, southern alps in NZ from time to time. My feet are also wide, having trouble to find randonneboots that fit..

I have rally started to love the Salewa brand for my alpine adventures, and deer stalking in the rough steep stuff. They are well made, stiff enough, compatible with either semi or fully automatic crampons. I have three pairs. I usually buy severeal when I find a pair that fits properly, as it is a pita to find them....

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
The Bestard brand out of Mallorca, Spain is also a brand that make wide (F) mountaineeringboots! They’re also well made.

Meindl made som wide boots for the Norwegian market. That was a joke - they’re wide boots were still narrow....

JP100

WKR
Im running Scarpa Gran Drus and I find them to be a very roomy and wide boot. Have you tried a pair on?

I would take online sizing with a grain of salt. Every boot brand ive used I am different size in, even different models from the same brand I wear different sizes.

Try and get into a shop and try as many on as you can

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Not many shops in Alaska have that many hunting boots of that quality to try on in one place. Schnees interest me so there some time going back and forth to the post office. Barney’s has the grand dru I think, rei has some Nepal’s maybe, I’m skipping the kenetrek, I have Miendl from
Cabelas and they fit good but trying to find something better.

Last edited: