Wild Game Steak Comparison Night

robie

WKR
We had some friends over and I decided to pull out 1 steak of everything I had in the freezer to do a taste test. Everything was backstrap except whitetail tenderloin. The buffalo was an end piece so not quite as thick and I felt skewed the comparison a little.

I marinated them all overnight in a mix of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. They then took a 5 hour sous vide bath at 113 degrees, that might seem low to some but I've done it at 125 and felt it was overcooked. I prefer wild game rare vs medium rare and really beat myself up when I overcook it, I can't stand ruining something I know is amazing. I had two cast iron skillets with 1/2 stick of butter going as hot as they would go and then hit each side for about 30 seconds. Pulled after browning all the way around and let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Had 4 adults eating, a 4 year old and my 18 month old.

My wife loves pronghorn and fully supports me getting at least 1 a year. I really can't understand when people say they hate this meat, it wasn't everyone's top pick but it was enjoyed by all. I really would like to taste a bad one at some point so I can try to understand. I've killed 6 of them from 4 states from early Sept to middle of October, from 90 degrees to 28 degrees outside and loved each of them.

Ok moving on. I will preface my ranking by saying I would eat any of these once a week for the rest of my life and be a happy man. There was no bad steak in this mix and all cooked as similar as you can get, sous vide just makes it so easy to not mess up a steak ever again. As much as I hate to admit it I'm not an expert griller and will use something like sous vide to "cheat" to get a better/consistent end result.

My Vote: Caribou, Pronghorn, Elk, Buffalo, Whitetail
Wife: Pronghorn, Whitetail, Caribou, Elk, Buffalo
Buddy: Caribou, Pronghorn, Elk, Buffalo, Whitetail
My Son: All of it as fast as I would cut it. Put a big smile on my face to have him enjoying it so young.

I will do this again and add a couple more animals into the mix and more people to enjoy in the fun. I have some Nilgai and can get Axis. I've got some wild hog but don't think it will rank very high. At some point I want to try moose, mountain lion and musk ox but I will have to wait until my name gets pulled out of the hat.

Anyone else done this with different game? Any suggestions on what to do differently next time. I love sharing the results of my adventures with others, there is something very satisfying about it.

Meat.jpg

cnelk

WKR
Every March my buddy has a Wild Game Feed. People bring a dish of something they killed the previous few months.

There is goose, rabbit, moose, elk, Wt deer, mule deer, antelope cous deer, Mtn lion, pig, duck, pheasant, crane, snake, fish, and you name it it’s there.

People then can cast a vote on the best dish they think and the winners take home a cool Rinnela Cookbook or something.

Good times and good food & drink

It’s amazing how good wild game is and how different each one tastes.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Every March my buddy has a Wild Game Feed. People bring a dish of something they killed the previous few months.

There is goose, rabbit, moose, elk, Wt deer, mule deer, antelope cous deer, Mtn lion, pig, duck, pheasant, crane, snake, fish, and you name it it’s there.

People then can cast a vote on the best dish they think and the winners take home a cool Rinnela Cookbook or something.

Good times and good food & drink

It’s amazing how good wild game is and how different each one tastes.

That would be fun to attend. Little different comparison but it would be cool to see how different people treat each meat. I'm convinced an amazing cook could make most items I would grind taste delicious.

Michael54

WKR
Alot of our local church's do a wild game dinner. Complete with a mystery meat that everyone is supposed to try and guess.....the mystery meat has been everything from bison to skunk....its a fun time

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Only thing i would suggest is to not marinate them next time and go as low on spices as you can etc. (if your trying to judge which one is best) so that people taste what the actual taste of the animal is rather than how yo have spiced it up etc. (not that i dont enjoy marinating meats either etc.) just a thought, but that meat sure does look tasty in you picture!

LostArra

WKR
Thread revival but good topic

Great idea and from the photo, cooking perfection.
I agree on the 113 degrees although I use reverse sear (smoker then skillet) rather than sous vide

Last edited:
this looks like fun! can't believe the variation in favorites. I second the notion of less spices and marinading to let the true flavor come through. all of it looks great! cool thread (even if it's old!)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I did a backstrap blind taste test a few months ago. Elk and deer. Everyone expected to prefer elk and be able to identify it over the more “gamey” mule deer. Every single person picked the mule deer as the better flavor. Both cooked identically. Funny how people give mule deer a bad rap.

Oh and stop marinating your backstraps! They’re too good on their own to mess up with a bunch of salty crap. ;)

Looks really good and would think it would be a little better without the marinade. I like to use the sous vide as well.

We had some friends over and I decided to pull out 1 steak of everything I had in the freezer to do a taste test. Everything was backstrap except whitetail tenderloin. The buffalo was an end piece so not quite as thick and I felt skewed the comparison a little.

I marinated them all overnight in a mix of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. They then took a 5 hour sous vide bath at 113 degrees, that might seem low to some but I've done it at 125 and felt it was overcooked. I prefer wild game rare vs medium rare and really beat myself up when I overcook it, I can't stand ruining something I know is amazing. I had two cast iron skillets with 1/2 stick of butter going as hot as they would go and then hit each side for about 30 seconds. Pulled after browning all the way around and let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Had 4 adults eating, a 4 year old and my 18 month old.

My wife loves pronghorn and fully supports me getting at least 1 a year. I really can't understand when people say they hate this meat, it wasn't everyone's top pick but it was enjoyed by all. I really would like to taste a bad one at some point so I can try to understand. I've killed 6 of them from 4 states from early Sept to middle of October, from 90 degrees to 28 degrees outside and loved each of them.

Ok moving on. I will preface my ranking by saying I would eat any of these once a week for the rest of my life and be a happy man. There was no bad steak in this mix and all cooked as similar as you can get, sous vide just makes it so easy to not mess up a steak ever again. As much as I hate to admit it I'm not an expert griller and will use something like sous vide to "cheat" to get a better/consistent end result.

My Vote: Caribou, Pronghorn, Elk, Buffalo, Whitetail
Wife: Pronghorn, Whitetail, Caribou, Elk, Buffalo
Buddy: Caribou, Pronghorn, Elk, Buffalo, Whitetail
My Son: All of it as fast as I would cut it. Put a big smile on my face to have him enjoying it so young.

I will do this again and add a couple more animals into the mix and more people to enjoy in the fun. I have some Nilgai and can get Axis. I've got some wild hog but don't think it will rank very high. At some point I want to try moose, mountain lion and musk ox but I will have to wait until my name gets pulled out of the hat.

Anyone else done this with different game? Any suggestions on what to do differently next time. I love sharing the results of my adventures with others, there is something very satisfying about it.

View attachment 132317

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I love that this got brought back from the dead.

Only new animal I have to add is Axis to try again. The axis tenderloins we had fresh were unreal.

I still don't understand how antelope and caribou get a bad rap.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk