Wild Pigs Proper Care?

blackdawg

WKR
I have am opportunity to shoot some wild pigs in a couple weeks, it’s still warm. What should I do/not do to/ how should I plan on caring for the meat, do’s/dont’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
The more blood you can get out of them the better for meat quality. If its hot, gut them and fill the cavity with ice bags. Keep the flies off. Allen makes some cheap game bags that if you cut off the feet, it goes over the whole critter. Surprised some of the southern boys haven't chimed in here, but they would probably tell you to wait til it's cooler, or work fast and keep the flies off em.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
Are you gona be close to the truck/cabin? If so just bring them to camp asap and grab the hindquarters and backstraps. Don't bother gutting or messing with the shoulders.

Then get them on ice and tilt the ice chest to let the melted water drain out

FLAK

WKR
Yep, get em to camp and broke down and on ice ASAP.
Otherwise like others have said, fill that chest cavity with
ice and keep em out of the sun till you can.
Had an invite to hunt on private land in central FL. once and we
ended up killing 4 or 5 pretty quick.
Did not know my host had never field dressed or quartered ANYTHING. Before I could get all of them taken care of the last
2 had started to swell. I gutted them pretty quick and filled
them full of ice until I could finish the job properly.
Got lucky and didnt lose any meat.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I can bring sharp knives , one fella told me the big boars are very strong flavored, not to shoot them

Mackerel

FNG
For nuisance hog and predator jobs, the big boars would get left in open areas as coyote bait (bury them at the end of the job) and we would pick the dogs off at night from 100 yards down wind. The smaller sows always tasted better to me.

Smaller, dry sows are relatively forgiving of fields conditions.
As mentioned above numerous times, cool the carcass asap and you should be fine.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re near camp, gutless works well, otherwise ice inside.

Brine, and then soak. 2 or 3 days soak makes all the difference. Big boar can be funky. You’ll know when you put it in the pan

Shoulders are good for sausage. Get as much fat off as you can and mix with commercial stuff.

75–150 pounders are the best. Headshots on the shoats can make a treat. Skin a 20 pounder and curl it up on the grill for a few hours. 👍

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I should be able to get the hogs back quickly, will probably toss the freezer and generator in the pickup to make sure that I can cool them way down. Any concerns that I should think about with disease?

rayporter

WKR
nearly all wild hogs will develop trichinosis. it is only a matter of time. the young may not have it yet but cook completely anyway. i think you have to hit 165 internal temp to kill it. check to make sure of this.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Feral pigs also carry pseudorabies. Humans can contact it, but it’s not harmful to us. It is, however, fatal to dogs. Always cook to 165 and never let dogs eat uncooked meat or blood.

Are you gona be close to the truck/cabin? If so just bring them to camp asap and grab the hindquarters and backstraps. Don't bother gutting or messing with the shoulders.

Then get them on ice and tilt the ice chest to let the melted water drain out
Seriously? So you just toss the shoulders, ribs and loins? We debone every last oz of meat, it all makes good sausage.

Azone

WKR
Big boars usually make for crappy table fare and don’t be surprised to find puss pockets oozing on them from fighting with other hogs. Headshots make for a lot quicker cleaning and you don’t have a mess to deal with bone fragments or stomach contents if it’s gut shot. As mentioned above the 75 to 150 pound sows are what I would target for table fare. These days anything with balls gets let go or someone else can shot it and deal with the stinking thing. What hogs are eating will have a lot to do with their flavor. After witnessing hogs eating a rotting beef calf one day that made me think maybe just maybe that’s what some of them taste like shit. Like anything else keep it clean and cold and you should be good to go.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
You can take the tenderloins without gutting, just cut shallow along the top of the short ribs. And toss all the fat; it will stink. Use commercial fat instead. You can take the lean meat off the surface of the ribs, just cut under that meat and work forward when you're taking the shoulders. Same with the neck meat. Break down at least one of the hams and try Hi Mountain Bacon Cure on the small roasts. (y)

Sethmac

FNG
When way out, we just gutless quarter them...you can get at the tenderloins (shoulders, hams, backstraps). Ribs are so lean, don't mind leaving if its hot...try to stick to the sows