Winchester 209w primers ignite bh209?

Just checking to see if Winchester 209w primers will ignite BH209. I normally shoot cci 209m in my encore 50 cal with 250 sst. Can’t find any federal 209a or CCI 209m’s. I’m down to 15 primers and that’s just enough for Missouri deer. A friend has Winchester 209w he said I can buy. Guess I test them and see. Signing up to buy a 1000, if any come back in stock.
Thanks

OP
Corey Paulsen (teamkabob)
Wins work until they don’t. Majority of customer misfire stories I’ve heard over the years involve a w209. So I would stay away from them.
Thanks for the info. I’m probably going to grab the 100 from a buddy until I can get the cci or federal. Have you seen issue with those? I’m guessing this is why BH209 recommended them. Thanks

No problems igniting mine.
What muzzleloader you using? As I know sometimes it can make a difference in breech plugs

kloppy

FNG
Thanks for the info. I’m probably going to grab the 100 from a buddy until I can get the cci or federal. Have you seen issue with those? I’m guessing this is why BH209 recommended them. Thanks

What muzzleloader you using? As I know sometimes it can make a difference in breech plugs

cva accura - I would agree that breech plug matters. The only reason I am using winchesters right now is because I could not get my hands on anything else but like I said they are fine so far.

LWH723

FNG
CCI209M or FED20A are magnums and have way more horsepower than the W209. They are definitely what you want to use. Warm and dry weather, W209 will probably work fine. Colder or damp days is when issues usually pop up with W209.

Misfires happen from a variety of things.

1) oil in bore
2) under powered primer
3) damp conditions
4) loose fitting bullet/sabot.
5) Very cold conditions
6) breech plug restriction
7) breech plug with long flame channnel
8) leaky breech plug system

There's other things. But those are some of the main ones. If you have one thing from the list going on, you may or not have an issue. If you've got 2 things from the list going on, it's just a matter of time until you have a misfire.

LWH723

FNG
CCI209M or FED20A are magnums and have way more horsepower than the W209. They are definitely what you want to use. Warm and dry weather, W209 will probably work fine. Colder or damp days is when issues usually pop up with W209.

1) oil in bore
2) under powered primer
3) damp conditions
5) Very cold conditions

There's other things. But those are some of the main ones. If you have one thing from the list going on, you may or not have an issue. If you've got 2 things from the list going on, it's just a matter of time until you have a misfire.

1) oil in bore
2) under powered primer
3) damp conditions
5) Very cold conditions

I mean that's great advice and all but they are non existent.
There are a few people on here asking for some and I've never seen anything in a store except the win.
Matter of fact the wins are drying up as well.
The lefties will never get our guns, but they are gonna run us out of ammo eventually.

LWH723

FNG
yep, i get it. if you're down in phoenix i've got 2-3K of them laying around. Never use 209's anymore, since my gen2 system runs on LRMP's.

techmanil

FNG
The only time I have ever had a problem with a w209 was when I had left the bh209 loaded in gun. I have never had any problems with fresh loads and have shot close to 200 loads between a T/C and Remingtons.

Just checking to see if Winchester 209w primers will ignite BH209. I normally shoot cci 209m in my encore 50 cal with 250 sst. Can’t find any federal 209a or CCI 209m’s. I’m down to 15 primers and that’s just enough for Missouri deer. A friend has Winchester 209w he said I can buy. Guess I test them and see. Signing up to buy a 1000, if any come back in stock.
Thanks
All I've ever used, and I have no reason to change.

Gutshotem

WKR
I used them in a TC Triumph until I had a hang fire one day in the field. It was 9 degrees below zero so I'm sure that was the deciding factor but I moved away from them after that.

I am jumping in here late so give ne a break. I use the W209 all the time and have not had a problem with them igniting BH. With the Lehigh - Knight BP I have shot BH very well with the T7 - BP primers. But I have not tested them in the cold with the black powder primers.

It is my belief that is is very dependent on the design of the breech plug!!

Yarak

WKR
I’ve had BH209 failures with several different makes of primes
The way I’ve solved this issue is by putting 10 grains of trip7 in front of my BH209
My accuracy remains the same and haven’t had a misfire or hangfire since I started this

Just getting back into ML hunting and used Winchester and Federal standard primers at the rifle range last week. They worked fine but I only used them because I can not find magnum 209s. As soon as I do I’m buying 1 or 2 thousand. I’d be satisfied if I could find a hundred for now to be honest.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to the muzzeloading world and as I haven't been able to find Federal or CCI magnum primers this fall, I've been using W209. I've fired approximately 20-25 shots so far out of it with 70 grams by weight of Blackhorn 209 and haven't had an issue. It's gone bang every time and I've had consistent groupings.