Wind bracket - spin drift

If you're using wind brackets, how do you handle spin drift for the holds?

For example, when putting the information into the shooter app, the wind bracket holds work perfectly when I have the wind set 90° left to right. When setting the wind 90° right to left, The wind bracket hold at 600 is 0.2 higher than what my app suggests; a 0.6 bracket hold vs an app suggested 0.4 hold.

Search: aerodynamic jump.

Spin drift is always the same direction horizontally, aerodynamic jump is a small vertical shift dependent on wind direction and value.

Edit: I took your “.2 higher” hold to mean elevation, not just .2 more. Disregard

Last edited:

For example, when putting the information into the shooter app, the wind bracket holds work perfectly when I have the wind set 90° left to right. When setting the wind 90° right to left, The wind bracket hold at 600 is 0.2 higher than what my app suggests; a 0.6 bracket hold vs an app suggested 0.4 hold.

You won’t see spin drift at 600 yards when you have a wind hold- it’s swallowed and buried inside the error.

It helps me visualize the effect of bullet spin interacting with cross winds with one of these charts. With a right hand twisting bullet, it wants to climb up winds from the right and climb down wind from the left.

It helps explain many groups that seem to drift off zero in slight breezes. Many times the shifted group is acting in a very predictable way.

4B74B799-82E4-48E1-A7B2-45B0AEE70F70.jpeg

The above is AJ not spindrift. 153.5's in my Creed at 600 have less than .2 drift. RH twist will shift right.

You won’t see spin drift at 600 yards when you have a wind hold- it’s swallowed and buried inside the error.

In that case, should I disable the spindrift in my shooter app or just leave it enabled, because I would only be using wind brackets when I don't have enough time to get data from the app?

Spin drift and AJ mean F all inside 700y shooting at near 2 moa vital zones on big game. Trying to hit a half minute plate? Yes they matter. Want to cancel spin drift all together? Zero your rifle 1/4" or 0.1mil left of poa(right hand twist barrel only). By the time your difference from true zero might matter, spin drift has brought it to center. Magic.........

In the shooter app, I don't see a place to turn on or off aerodynamic jump. I can turn off spin drift though.
I’m not familiar with shooter but yes you want spin drift off when determining your gun number.

Honestly if your shooting targets small enough for spin drift to matter it’s not hard to remember when to shade a tenth or 2 left.

And like above when I’m zeroing I don’t mind if it’s a tick left. I’d rather it be left than right when nailing it down.

Back