Wind over valley/hollow

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to how you would hunt a ridge that overlooks a relatively small hollow. Wind is coming from the southwest and angles over the right shoulder and over the hollow that is relatively small. Elevation is about 200 to 300 in feet. On the other side of the hollow is a large open hay field.

Question is would a ten (or less) mile an hour wind pass over the hollow and out into the field without deer being able to scent? There is very little swirling in general. Thanks for any feedback.

The following link describes what I am trying to learn in more detail. I just don't have a good grasp of the material.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
The wind will swirl the most at about 1/3 down from the top level. If you sit there, good chance your scent won't skip over to the field. You may see bucks cruising at that level as well.

Swamp Fox

WKR
AMs only and I wouldn't do it in a light wind. How far from your stand to the hayfield? What's the major attraction in the hollow?

For context, I'm mostly a bowhunter. With a rifle, I might be willing to push it a little more, but not pre-rut. Get in there when they are not quite so alert because they are distracted by the other gender(s)....

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I would focus on benches just below the tops of the ridges. I've very rarely seen bucks not use this tactic. So I've stayed upwind of them and hunt accordingly.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
This is a funnel in a hollow that resides between two hay fields. Elevation drop is about 300 ft or so. Hollow is heavily traveled and leads to a food source several hundred yards up. I am aware of the thurmals but believe they would not be an issue with a steady wind.

There is a bench on the side I would like to hunt. In fact I jumped the biggest buck I have ever killed that had been residing on that bench during the summer. Caught him returning to his bedding area that fall. Do you hunt a bench by hunting above it or on it? If wind is swerling 1/3 down will it not eventually flow down the hollow?

I could simplify everything by hunting on the lower side next to the hayfield. This would allow my scent to flow into the field but if I could be higher I could target the hollow and field or at least a quarter of the field.

A lot of questions and I appreciate the response. I may try some smoke to see what is happening. Love the learning curve.

Yoder

WKR
Only way to know for sure is to drop some milkweed. It's hard to predict how much wind you need to overcome thermals. I had to bail on a spot last week. Wind was blowing down hill at the road, but as I got halfway up the hill the thermals were stronger blowing uphill.

Macintosh

WKR
Only way to know for sure is to drop some milkweed. It's hard to predict how much wind you need to overcome thermals. I had to bail on a spot last week. Wind was blowing down hill at the road, but as I got halfway up the hill the thermals were stronger blowing uphill.
This^^. Its not possible to know without testing it. Between thermals and the wind wrapping around terrain and vegetation it could be doing almost anything there from the basic description. You dont have to blow it out to test it either.

Also, its likely you wont get a “perfect” wind, but remember you only need “perfect enough” so you can shoot just before he winds you. For that reason sometimes a consistent bad-ish wind is easier to work with than an inconsistent but mostly good wind. You may only get one or two chances approaching a spot like that so careful if you dont have other options, but if its the best opportunity why not?

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I will try the milk weed. There is the option to hunt it under a different wind then the normal SW. Might try that. The elevation just gives such good shot opportunities even far out into the hay field. Thanks.