Wind proof Back pack stove

Derek0525

WKR
I have been using the Optimus Crux system for a few years now and haven't had much of a problem until this year deer hunting and the wind was whipping pretty good every time I moved my stove someplace else the wind would change direction it went out once and came close a few other times. I'm looking for something to boil water I don't plan on cooking with a pan. The 3 I have looked at are the MSR reactor MSR wind boiler and the Jet Boil flash lite. Only problem I see with the jet boil is the plastic around the bottom and the flame is only somewhat enclosed. So if you have personal experience with these I would like to hear how well they work or if there are any other stoves out there. I'm not crazy about the weight of these stoves but if it's cold and windy I can handle the weight.

I think Jet Boils handle wind best. Myself and two buddies tested boil times between a Crux Lite, Pocket Rocket, and a Jet Boil in a stiff wind. The JB was the clear winner. I'm going to make a shroud (out of a couple pop cans) for my Crux Lite so I don't have to deal with the added weight.

colonel00

WKR
Actually, I'd have to say that the MSR Reactor would probably qualify as the most windproof as there is not open flame to be blown out.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
Also just found the Primus ETA lite online looks a little more wind proof than the jet boil. I also thought of making a windscreen but have always heard not to with canister stoves.

Actually, I'd have to say that the MSR Reactor would probably qualify as the most windproof as there is not open flame to be blown out.

MSR windboiler and reactor are by far the best in this aspect. Jetboils are good stoves, but are not in the same league for wind resistance as far as these two.

duchntr

WKR
Get a windscreen its a game changer with whatever stove you use. Ive heard good things about those crux stoves.

ahlgringo

WKR
Had the same prob last year. Got a msr reactor- and no more prob- really like that stove.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
Well I guess Optimus makes a clip on windscreen for the crux after doing some googling so I ordered that to see how it works. I do like the crux stove it boils pretty fast. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully this will be the cheap fix.