Window mounts - who uses them?

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Who uses a window mount for their binoculars or spotter? Looks cool on TV shows, but seems to me that viewing would be a limited panoramic degrees of view because you’re probably in your seat, and only in your side of the truck. Pros & cons, let’s hear it. Thanks.

I do.
If it's raining or I really want to cover ground quickly the truck seat is where I glass. I do not like glassing through window glass, a good window mount and head are rock solid If the truck motor is turned off.

I do most days when I’m working. It’s ok. Kind of a pain in the butt when you are jumping into the passenger seat to get a look at a buck on that side.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I do.
If it's raining or I really want to cover ground quickly the truck seat is where I glass. I do not like glassing through window glass, a good window mount and head are rock solid If the truck motor is turned off.
Didn’t think about the weather/rain. Makes sense. (Obviously I haven’t done this before. 😊)

Use it more than I thought I would.

Heck half the time anymore, if we go out and shoot. We will stick the spotter on the window. And just stand next to the truck, looking through the cab.

Who uses a window mount for their binoculars or spotter? Looks cool on TV shows, but seems to me that viewing would be a limited panoramic degrees of view because you’re probably in your seat, and only in your side of the truck. Pros & cons, let’s hear it. Thanks.
Use one a ton. Easy to move the truck enough to see what I want to see. Comfortable and warm on those early mornings, and I can enjoy a bit of quiet music as I wake up glassing too. What's not to like?

Here's what I am using now

That little "flare" is important if you want the most stability possible from a true window mount. After tightening the mount on the glass, you can lower the glass until the flared edge makes contact with the door. That gives you another point of contact and steadies the whole thing up quite nicely.

I'm using this head currently but it's a little lacking for gloved hands.

Very small and compact however, and it takes Arca Swiss plates. The ball leveler is nice if you're parked on a slope. This allows you to still pan level to the horizon instead of in an arc.

SmallRig makes one without the ball leveler that has larger controls and I'm planning on trying one soon.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm using this head currently but it's a little lacking for gloved hands.

Very small and compact however, and it takes Arca Swiss plates. The ball leveler is nice if you're parked on a slope. This allows you to still pan level to the horizon instead of in an arc.
Thanks. What about a small ball head with this window mount? Would that solve being parked on a slope, or is a ball head better suited for static use & not panning. Yup, I’m showing my ignorance on this 😁 , but Rokslide is always a good teacher!

Note: Same company, Oben, makes a small ball head, model BE-108 , available paired with their flared window mount. Probably not great for gloves but it looks small.

Last edited:
Thanks. What about a small ball head with this window mount? Would that solve being parked on a slope, or is a ball head better suited for static use & not panning. Yup, I’m showing my ignorance on this 😁 , but Rokslide is always a good teacher!

Note: Same company, Oben, makes a small ball head, model BE-108 , available paired with their flared window mount. Probably not great for gloves but it looks small.
Ball heads are fine and I've used them for glassing from a window mount, but a true fluid video head is best in my experience.

Gloves make it tough to operate small levers and screws. if I'm sitting in a warm truck and glassing on a cold day, my hands are the only thing that need protection. So it's something to consider.

I usually leave the spotter in the truck and have a window mount handy. I'll sit and glass and have coffee before work a lot of times, when I don't have adequate time for proper scouting. cons are I have to position my truck towards where I want to glass and passengers don't get to see what I see! pros are its easy enough to just leave in the rig for the occasional spotting session.

TaperPin

WKR
I wouldn’t be caught without a good window mount. It‘s just too easy to stop and glass something.

Antelope and deer hunting in the sage makes a window mount essential - all day driving little two track roads and glassing is essential and this is efficient.

I think of the part that attaches to the window as a separate piece from the tripod head that’s used.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Here's what I am using now

That little "flare" is important if you want the most stability possible from a true window mount. After tightening the mount on the glass, you can lower the glass until the flared edge makes contact with the door. That gives you another point of contact and steadies the whole thing up quite nicely.
@Newtosavage , I got this widow mount. Haven’t used or tried it yet but it looks pretty heavy duty. Thanks for the tip. For binoculars, are you using a tall or short bino adapter, or does it really matter as long as it accommodates the binocular size?