Winter Riding Routine (or not) ?

Hi All,

For those who live with a winter that includes some snow and colder temps, what do your winter routines look like with your animals?

Do you tend to take the winter off or still get out and work with them either on the ground or in the saddle?

Good luck rest of season!

s

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I ride indoors in the winter, but would like to ride some trails if the conditions are good. Me and my daughter were riding weekly from January until the snow melts.

I ride year round both indoors and on the trail. The indoor arena i have access to is on the smaller side so it’s a great time to work on lateral work. Just keep fronts with snow pads on but i don’t have to go up and down steep hills either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
The only incident I had training my 3 year old horses was riding on packed ice and she reared up and I pulled her back on top of me. It was mostly my inexperience but could have ended way worse

Off the roads the snow is too deep. The roads are typically ice or heavy pack. I spend my winters fighting the drifting and feeding horses in the corral. I don't usually have time for winter riding.

I tried an easter trip one year. Two inches of thaw on ice made for more excitement than I felt reasonable.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found an indoor area last year that we can ride indoors for $25 per horse or $100 per month, but with the mild conditions I’m currently able to ride outside on my property. I’m sure there is a place in the Bitterroot that would have an indoor arena with a nominal price.

OP
L
Can do rides here with these mild conditions and solid footing. Thankfully there are a couple arenas indoor/outdoor plus a diverse obstacle area I can pay to use if needed.

I’ve found an indoor area last year that we can ride indoors for $25 per horse or $100 per month, but with the mild conditions I’m currently able to ride outside on my property. I’m sure there is a place in the Bitterroot that would have an indoor arena with a nominal price.

5C arena
Sunnyside arena
Can’t remember the new name of the arena that was the old Rockin RB that is up El Capitan in stevi.

Sunnyside would be my choice but there’s lots of other choices too that are privately owned facilities.

OP
L
Thanks! I've heard people mention 5C but haven't been there yet.
There is that relatively new one in Stevi, but it's actually up for sale now.

There's a new one also in Victor, right off the 93 that has a small, heated indoor arena (Mountain Water Stables), but so far we just went over to Gerry Cox's place in Corvallis as he's got a nice outdoor and indoor arena plus tons of various obstacles to help my young mule get acclimated to different things.

Thanks! I've heard people mention 5C but haven't been there yet.
There is that relatively new one in Stevi, but it's actually up for sale now.

There's a new one also in Victor, right off the 93 that has a small, heated indoor arena (Mountain Water Stables), but so far we just went over to Gerry Cox's place in Corvallis as he's got a nice outdoor and indoor arena plus tons of various obstacles to help my young mule get acclimated to different things.

The 5C is a nice place. It’s not insulated but is the largest arena in the area. I haven’t ridden there in the winter but summers are very muggy.

Sunnyside has been there awhile, the Cress family to my knowledge listed it for sale just to see if anyone would take a bite but there not too motivated to part with it.

I forgot about Gerry Cox’s place.

Anyone know what the deal is with the fancy arena up hwy 12 in Lolo? Not Myttys arena but the other one down the road on the right?