Wireless Ethernet 'Bridge' - anyone with experiences?

cnelk

WKR
Anyone have first hand experience with using a 'Wireless Bridge'?

My neighbor at my Wyo cabin [who has Starlink] has graciously offered me to 'bridge' his internet to my off-grid cabin. Distance is less than 2km

There are many brands to choose from - what are some of the best ones/ease to setup?

TIA

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
This is what keeps popping up on reviews/searches

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Ubiquity/Unifi gear is what I use. I'm not going that far but it's solid stuff. You usually need a controller to have them function.

Here's my network setup(well was, I just sold this house and it's not as clean currently)

1000003765.jpg

Titan

WKR
I used a ULNA brand off amazon. Not going quite that distance, but closer to .5 mile. Worked great. Instructions are a little crappy so I used instructions from other reviews. Not sure what kind of speed you need or expect though. Probably won't be great.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
^^^ Good deal.
Im not going 2km either [closer to 1/2 mi] , but the products specify their range

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second Ubiquiti. Their gear is commonly used for commercial WiFi internet provider solutions. I have set up a few of these in remote locations with a single shared source for internet. Lots of articles out there on how to set it up properly.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Ubiquiti for the third recommendation. Use one of their medium or long-range systems (small dish or similar) to get it to your house and then pipe it into your local router 👍

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I've used them for our SCADA systems at a couple large grain terminals. Different application, but same concept. They work good, just make sure you change the default password if you don't want anyone on your network. It's been a couple years since I needed them and I don't remember what I used, but it was off amazon. I would just find one rated for the distance that you need and make sure it has a lot of good reviews.

Keep in mind you need a clear line of sight between the antennae.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I've used them for our SCADA systems at a couple large grain terminals. Different application, but same concept. They work good, just make sure you change the default password if you don't want anyone on your network. It's been a couple years since I needed them and I don't remember what I used, but it was off amazon. I would just find one rated for the distance that you need and make sure it has a lot of good reviews.

Keep in mind you need a clear line of sight between the antennae.
Good point on line of sight. In an area with lots of trees or obstructions, you may need to move the antenna. We had to use 30' foot poles to gain elevation over the tree line to get best results.